PDA

View Full Version : creating coiled springs

david_scotland
01-08-2010, 11:20 AM
I know how to create a coiled spring, but does anyone know how to finish off the ends of the spring like in this photo?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c2522-15301/images/1213605478296.jpg

IRML
01-08-2010, 06:46 PM
a boolean would be the most simple way, though it might not be the prettiest

hrgiger
01-08-2010, 07:06 PM
You definitely do not want to use a boolean. I would create the end shape and either bridge to the coil or manually create the polygons between them. I would imagine that lofting between profile shapes would be a good way to blend between the shapes but I'm not sure if there's a way to do that in Lightwave or not.

ramccombe
01-08-2010, 08:03 PM
I tried using hrgiger suggestion, make the ends and coil seperately and connect. It seemed to work fine. I used 12 sides which seemed to be the minimum for subpatching. I attached a screen shot, hope this helps. :thumbsup:

david_scotland
01-09-2010, 01:02 AM
I tried using hrgiger suggestion, make the ends and coil seperately and connect. It seemed to work fine. I used 12 sides which seemed to be the minimum for subpatching. I attached a screen shot, hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Excellent, I knew you guys would nail it. Many thanks.

oobievision
01-09-2010, 09:15 AM
I usually use taper and stretch, then manually move the points that arent right.

david_scotland
01-10-2010, 12:57 AM
I usually use taper and stretch, then manually move the points that arent right.

It's easy to taper a simple object, but how do you evenly taper something like the end of a spring?

OnlineRender
01-10-2010, 03:42 AM
helix spline cage ! extrude path ! ............

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/WV_LightwaveTraining.html

tuts
is there somewhere!

colkai
01-10-2010, 03:52 AM
Pictrix C_Worm :)

ramccombe
01-10-2010, 07:59 AM
It's easy to taper a simple object, but how do you evenly taper something like the end of a spring?

If you look at the image I posted you will notice the weight maps. You can use the weight map to influence how the tools work. I just created the end as a 3/4 or so loop and the coil separately. The end started with a 12 point disc that had points moved into a rough square (Symmetrically of course) and lathe a 3/4 loop. Create the weight map however you choose. Try to get an even gradient. then when you use the stretch tool, select weight map falloff. Make the rest of the coil from a 12 point disc move the 2 pieces into position and connect the 2. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

david_scotland
01-11-2010, 06:24 AM
If you look at the image I posted you will notice the weight maps. You can use the weight map to influence how the tools work. I just created the end as a 3/4 or so loop and the coil separately. The end started with a 12 point disc that had points moved into a rough square (Symmetrically of course) and lathe a 3/4 loop. Create the weight map however you choose. Try to get an even gradient. then when you use the stretch tool, select weight map falloff. Make the rest of the coil from a 12 point disc move the 2 pieces into position and connect the 2. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Thanks.