PDA

View Full Version : Kray

Opolot79
01-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Hey Guys,

The company I am work for is looking for a good way to put out a really good photo real render in lightwave. Is "Kray" the way to go? This is for a spot I have to start on next week. If you could lend a some input that would awesome, ASAP.

Thanks!::thumbsdow

Matt
01-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Kray is a very configurable renderer, that's where it's power lies, you can tweak out every value to get good looking images very fast. The downside is that it's more difficult to use.

LightWave's native renderer underwent some big changes in the 9.x cycle, and while it's not as configurable as Kray, it is much easier to get great images out of it.

Either is perfectly capable.

What kind of project are you going to be doing?

Opolot79
01-06-2010, 01:24 PM
It is a spot for a Jewelry Company who want to use the Budweiser Frogs as there Charaters. It airs during the super-bowl. The idea is that the frogs are looking for a new gig. Ha... I would have went a different route but thats not my place.

So the current version(LW 9.6) can put out a render quality as good as Kray & just as fast? Is Kray the LW version of Vray?

jasonwestmas
01-06-2010, 02:18 PM
It is a spot for a Jewelry Company who want to use the Budweiser Frogs as there Charaters. It airs during the super-bowl. The idea is that the frogs are looking for a new gig. Ha... I would have went a different route but thats not my place.

So the current version(LW 9.6) can put out a render quality as good as Kray & just as fast? Is Kray the LW version of Vray?

The LW 9.6 Renderer is more than capable for getting photoreal images. If you plan on using animated characters with GI and need closeups of them you might run into some problems with the deformations and LW GI. I'm not sure if Kray would remedy that but from what I understand, Fprime is the best for Character animated GI. I tried it and it looks pretty good with Fprime.

On the other hand sometimes all you need is a good light rig for photo-realism.

I would think of Kray as an excellent GI solution for large environments or if you have a large room that has a lot of bouncing light in it. It's just the best GI solution out there for LW otherwise I don't think you would need it for a jewelry advert but that depends on the story board.

biliousfrog
01-11-2010, 09:22 AM
Basically, it comes down to the person behind the wheel. Lightwave has been used for film and TV for years and 9.6 is the most capable version yet. Kray seems to be a great plugin but it's not going to be a one-click solution for better renders...that comes down to the artist(s) using it.