PDA

View Full Version : A Couple REALLY Basic Questions

Lyoncet
01-06-2010, 12:00 PM
Hey all! I'm a relatively new amateur modeler (well, I have 5 years of experience with Strata, but that hardly counts…:)), and recently scraped together enough cash for Lightwave 3d courtesy of the Academic Superstore. After playing around with it and watching some tutorials, I bought the book Essential Lightwave, familiarized myself with most of the basic modeling tools, and got to work on a rough draft. About 8-12 hours in, I dropped it into Layout to make sure there weren't any major rendering glitches so far.

Well, turns out there were. I went back through the manual and Essential Lightwave, but couldn't find any mention of what I was seeing. Even the Essential Lightwave cure-all advice of cut-paste the planes didn't help! And since a picture is worth a thousand words:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g180/Lyoncet/RoughRenderLines.jpg

(No points for discerning what wildly popular Sci-Fi show that used LightWave 3d that particular ship pays homage to :))

Aside from the lighting being awful (just the default spotlight), you'll see that the lines making up the front of object are all highlighted. There are also a few running along the back and a few in odd spots, occasionally asymmetric despite almost always running with Y symmetry on.

Could anyone give me an idea of exactly what's going on here? I know it's usually not proper forum etiquette to make your first post a help request, but I can't seem to find reference to this. Or rather, I know it's probably there somewhere, but I have no idea where.

Anyways, thanks in advance! Despite only having partially finished one model, I can hardly believe how powerful and useful (and fun!) Lightwave is! Sure, it takes a bit of getting used to not having the nice little XYZ coordinate box of Strata, but the few times I've had to go back I've really found myself yearning for Extender Plus and Catmull-Clark. :)

P.S. Almost forgot, from what I've seen, it seems like it's possible to select two elements and move them across the same axis but in opposite directions without using Y symmetry. Like if I have two boxes, one above the other, I'd be able to move the two nearest faces towards one another simultaneously. I haven't seen this documented either yet, and what I've tried (constraining with middle mouse, using every modified key I can find) hasn't done it. Am I missing something here?

UnCommonGrafx
01-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Press on w: it will bring up the statistics panel.
Control-h or polygon mode.
Look for 2 point polys; delete them.

That should work. What has happened is that you have generated some two-point polygons; they show up as lines in the renderer. They are great for making things with, as well: telephone wire lines and blurry trailing lines.

SplineGod
01-06-2010, 04:15 PM
Like Robert said,
You could have 2 point polys (polylines)
You could have holes where geometry isnt welded
You could have nonplanar polys - try tripling them
You could have smoothing errors - adjust the smoothing angle or cut/past geometry in those sections.
You might have overlapping geometry

Lyoncet
01-06-2010, 04:44 PM
Well, just loaded it up and it was indeed a bunch of two-point polygons. For some reason I was under the impression that those only show up in special circumstances, but that may be a different camera type (I used classic).

Thanks for the tip on non-planars too SplineGod. I'm pretty sure it's free of them, having just learned the Catmull-Clark trick about 24 hours ago, but I'll give that a look too!

:thumbsup: