PDA

View Full Version : Low Budget Wedding Looks Awesome...

Mutley Eugenius
01-05-2010, 08:53 PM
I had to shoot a wedding two days ago, and of course, once you shoot it you have to edit it. But nobody wants you to cut anything out of the ceremony, so you have to leave it as one whole take. So everybody's going to be glued to your slow camera moves, slow zooms, hand held walking around trying to find the right angles, etc. Essentially, your entire searching-thought-process will be immortalized on film for the rest of time until the divorce.

While I was waiting for the ceremony I took a few shots of people's faces while they were just staring at nothing, and I made sure I had a few happy faces. They didn't know was filming them.

However, later while I was shooting the actual wedding, I had a fantastic idea. I was standing by the audience and shooting the couple, then I did a screamingly fast zoom out, and a slam-pan to the audience, and then I proceeded to shoot about one minute of slow pans over the audiences faces, and then I slammed back on to the couple again, resuming my slow zoom moves. I did this a couple times, and then I took it back to the studio.

Using SpeedEdit, I was able to quickly cut the audience pan section from the first steady frame to the last steady frame, eliminating the radical pan/zooms. Then I dragged this video section down to become an overlay layer, carefully leaving the soundtrack unaltered. I went back to the source clips and trimmed off the fast pan/zooms from the ends & this left me with about two seconds of missing footage between each part. All I had to do then, which was my fantastic idea, was to slow the audience pan clip down to 95% speed which made it about 5 seconds longer, and then center it between the two ends of the clips above, then I dragged it back up and dropped in place, forming a 1.5 second fade at each end. When you play it, it looks like a 2 camera shot, because an audience pan at 95% looks just like an audience pan at 100%, because nobody is really moving at all, and it just looks fine. Any other moves I wanted to eliminate, I just had to use the happy faces which I had shot before, faded in and out, and I had one of the nicest wedding edits I have ever done.

So I thought would share that idea with you all.

__________________________________________________ _____________
Q: Which way does time move? A: Clockwise.

Walk Worthy
01-06-2010, 09:05 AM
Good Stuff, Mutley.

Please, for all the newbies out here, give a detailed line-by-line of exactly how you made the clip longer.

Thanks!

bbeanan
01-06-2010, 09:30 AM
actually this is a great trick to use for most any shoots... always grab a bunch of "B-Roll". But keep in mind do not use the same clip back to back else your trick will be exposed... or use the same clip to many times...

Also for shows (Like dance recitals and the like) I will capture some extra audience clapping both audio and video... then for numbers where the audience did not clap as much as another I can add in some additional to fill it out...

B-Roll is your friend...

oh one last trick if you have like 5 - 10 people sitting down early for a wedding you can normally get them to help you make up some great B-Roll... ask them to look over there now wisper something to your husband and smile...

Mutley Eugenius
01-06-2010, 11:04 AM
whisper trick - cute!

To make a clip longer, click it, press F8 and the properties window appears. change the playback speed to 95% or any other number less then 100% et voila! The clip will be longer & slower. Any number above 100 will make it shorter & faster.

__________________________________________________ _____________
No such thing as perpetual motion? What about an atom?

Scott Bates
01-06-2010, 11:39 AM
The other (often easier, more precise method for this application) is to put the beginning of the clip where you want it on the timeline, hold down the Alt key, grab the end of the clip so it says "stretch" and pull it to the right to the spot where you want the end to be. Don't have to calculate % that way.

Walk Worthy
01-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Just discovered this and much more by pressing the F1 key.

Thanks for the help.

Mutley Eugenius
01-09-2010, 06:37 AM
Another trick I discovered by accident was using the 'backlight' function on the camera (Sony HDR-FX1) which is for when you have the light behind someone & their faces are dark, it will overexpose the backdrop to light up their faces. It works well as long as you don't have to see the backdrop too much.

It was a daytime wedding and I was shooting them towards the sun, and so i turned on the backlight function and the resulting oversaposure caused an amazing glow around their heads and it looked like a photo of them in heaven or something except it was moving footage I did a nice long take and when you slow that down to 50% speed it's awesome.

I'm sure most cameras these days have a similar setting for overexposure. It rocks!

__________________________________________________ ____________
Genius Trait #2: Ask questions of people who know.