PDA

View Full Version : VT3 snap not accurate

Jean
09-04-2003, 08:39 AM
Hi.
I just received my VT3. Wonderfull sofwtare, great new things,
old bugs I had in VT2 squached...but...
There is still the same frame accuracy problem I had in VT2.

When snapping a clip on the timebar, let's say Time bar at 10:00, snap the beginnnig of a clip at it, zoom in at the maximum, the clip is not exactly sitcked to the time bar.
It's somewhere between the 10:00 and 10:01 vertical grid. if the beginning of the clip is on the right area of this "inbetween" it shows up at 10:01.

Big problem!!!

I've read on other threads about an other type of frame accuracy problem. Seemed different but perhaps caused by the same wrong part of TED's code.

A Clip should never find itself at a fractionnal image, if we had sound editing capabilities in TED I would understand the "more than 25th of seconds precision" (PAL user here) but it's not the case.

Jean

Jim_C
09-04-2003, 11:34 AM
Jean,
I feel your pain but can't duplicate it.
I did as you said in the test and my clips snap right at 10:00 or 10:01 etc..
I can't get them to stick in between no matter how I try.
Keep bugging your problem and let folks know.

ntsc user,
jim

Jean
09-04-2003, 12:28 PM
This thing happens not every times but it's more often when you snap the clip when the Timeline is zoomed out a lot.

like ~ 30 Sec clip mesure ~ 3 cm on screen.

I had the same problem under VT 2 and another machine.
(still PAL)

Jean

Jean
11-16-2003, 12:30 PM
I cant take this any more.

Plz Sqash this bug.
makes me doubt each time I snap a clip to the timebar I have to zoom in to chek it's at the right TC.

See atached image.

Upper Pic : I snap a clip to the timebar at : 07:38:20

But the video doesn't show at this timecode, it shows at 07:38:21.

Lower Pic: So zoom in, the timebar is closer from 07:38:21 than 07:38:20.
Th'ats the bug ! you read a TC but in fact video in is on frame after.

This thing seldom happens but it never should.

bradl
11-16-2003, 12:59 PM
Yep, same thing here. I have been fighting it often. I agree it should snap, drag or razor (c) only at exact whole frame points.

Maybe the thought was to allow field editing?

UnCommonGrafx
11-16-2003, 08:03 PM
Interesting....

I went to this site today because someone had suggested it on the lw yahoo group -- never thought it would help me answer a question of this ilk...
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html

Basically, it talks about physics, problems in the theory of relativity and a new theory around rings.

You might, and rightly so, wonder what the hell all that has to do with this... You've already touched on the problem: scaling is the key. What you might want to do is go into the prefs and change the snap sensitivity. Far out it sounds like your snap is not sensitive enough for such a thing; in close, it works, right?
The other things I would suggest is that you use the storyboard for such moves as it doesn't deal with snappage and the like.

CSI is coming on; I love that show!

Patrick Strenk
11-16-2003, 10:38 PM
Reguardless of what the snap sensitivity is, shouldn't it snap to either 7:38:20 or 7:38:21 and not in between. I noticed this problem with T2. It needs to be adressed because it is inconsistant and when you have multiple layers they don't always end up at the same time.

bradl
11-17-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by UnCommonGrafx
Interesting....

I went to this site today because someone had suggested it on the lw yahoo group -- never thought it would help me answer a question of this ilk...
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html

Basically, it talks about physics, problems in the theory of relativity and a new theory around rings.

Fascinating documentary. It has just aired over the last few weeks - 4 hours with no commercials. It is 'strings' not rings. Some open ended but restricted to a specific 'brane' (or membrane - our current dimension of existence) and some closed loops (like gravity) that can travel freely between branes. Very esoteric stuff - they call it the 'the theory of everything'

You might, and rightly so, wonder what the hell all that has to do with this... You've already touched on the problem: scaling is the key. What you might want to do is go into the prefs and change the snap sensitivity...

Don't know if you have checked lately Robert, but there is no snap sensitivity setting. It somehow disappeared out of the equation, must have drifted to another dimension...

UnCommonGrafx
11-17-2003, 09:38 PM
Nope, I hadn't, Brad.

Seems a feature request. ;)

But... I say pop over to storyboard mode in another pane to do your mover while we wait for them to give us more of what we want. :D

sywitt
11-19-2003, 09:44 AM
WOW! I have no idea about your problem but thanks for the link to the Elegant Universe series! Fascinating

Jean
03-21-2004, 10:31 AM
Sorry to rise up some old problems but no change there in the third patch.
Ted timeline/timebar still isn't frame accurate.

:(

bradl
03-21-2004, 12:43 PM
That's a shame... :(

I find myself fighting this on almost every edit. I zoom down all the way to where you are viewing about two frames across the entire timeline (Backspace, + + + + + ) and dragging the misplaced clip to land properly on the frame then zoom back out (- - - - -). Very annoying. It can cause such irritations as bad edits, CG's or overlays not cutting with background, and perhaps the most annoying, when you are in control tree and setting a node at the very beginning or end of the clip (q or w) the image may not even show up in the Positioner window at all, because the clip actually starts a fraction of a frame later. Uuuuggggg!!!

tmon
03-02-2005, 04:51 PM
DONE. AT LAST!

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?p=254646#post254646

:D

bradl
03-05-2005, 03:45 PM
... or not???

tmon
03-06-2005, 04:46 PM
I feel bad for speaking too soon. I guess I got too excited from my initial investigation and will have to run further tests.

In trying to look at the optimistic side, it appears that there has been some improvement in VT[4] with regards to this little "frame-accuracy" issue.

I just hope it's not an "irresolvable" issue due to the basic code of VT-Edit or something terrifying like that.

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?p=254646#post254646

ted
03-09-2005, 11:41 AM
I also miss TED's "Snap" options in prefs. On longer timelines, it's a real pain trying to align clips. Often, when trying to snap clips back to back we end up with a slight dissolve or a empty frame between the two.
I never got an answer why it was removed. Maybe it was causing some other issues???