PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help with animation

Rooboy222
01-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Hi there

Im looking for some help and perhaps a step by step rough guide of how to apply it

im making an animation when i have lots of objects which i have motion morph into place.

the problem i have is while rendering all these objects are still sat in the scene when not in use sometimes casting odd shadows reflections ect

So im looking for a way to have objects invisible perhaps not even in the scene untill i need them so they appear mabey 5 frames before needed as they move into camera view

I have been teaching myself as i go so appologise if im being silly and missing the obvious

thanks for any help in advance :)

Kevbarnes
01-05-2010, 12:59 PM
im looking for a way to have objects invisible

Hi Rooboy

Select object either from drop-down menu bottom left or in scene editor.
hit 'p' for properties.
look for 'Object Dissolve', Note Default Dissolve is '0%', click 'E' button.

You can now set and adjust object dissolve in Graph editor. set 0 then 100% over one frame you get instant disapear, or over many frames you get gradual fade.

Rooboy222
01-05-2010, 01:03 PM
thank you that should come in very handy :)

UnCommonGrafx
01-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Dissolve has always had issues with smooth fades. Or so I've noticed.
It does work, however, quite well for what you want: pop on and off of an object.

Rooboy222
01-05-2010, 01:33 PM
what about if i wanted one object to only be semi invisible eg a room things are in but all the bits of wall are not on camera, the bits that aren't to be invisible

Kevbarnes
01-05-2010, 02:09 PM
what about if i wanted one object to only be semi invisible eg a room things are in but all the bits of wall are not on camera, the bits that aren't to be invisible

you can set it in the same way, with dissolve as a %, say 50% in the graph editor or on a surface by surface bases in the 'Surface editor' under the 'Transparency' attribute. set a unique surface for different polygons in MODELER first! then adjust transp in LIGHTWAVE when you render.

Rooboy222
01-05-2010, 02:12 PM
thanks very much everyone your help is greatly appriciated

UnCommonGrafx
01-05-2010, 02:36 PM
I may be reading more into your question but since the capabilities are there, I may as well ask.
Was your question one like, "How can I make walls disappear when the camera gets too close and obscures my shot?"
That's a little bit more than what I think you were after, huh?

Rooboy222
01-05-2010, 02:38 PM
imagine a camer in the middle of a room it rotates 360 so at any one time 3 walls and some of the remaining are not on camera , i want the bit that arent on camera invisible untill they are in view

UnCommonGrafx
01-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Hmm, what kind of disappearing act do you want them to do?
And why? Just questions of curiosity.
I would make suggestions of:
- put a texture/gradient on all walls that react to distance from wall. Use this on transparency or figure out how to for dissolve via the graph editor;
- make all the walls separate objects, never need to render the corner joins betwixt the walls and dissolve them away as has been discussed above;
- Use some nodes to control all of this in much the same way or cleverly more complicated.
Mind reading on these things is only so good and every one's mileage varies but this ought to get you there with future ruminations of how else to put this to use.

Rooboy222
01-05-2010, 03:02 PM
cool thanks ,

im rendering some pretty heavy frames so im figuring if i render out just a frame of the empty room and use that as a reflection image and reduce the geometry as much as possible

UnCommonGrafx
01-05-2010, 03:08 PM
I would test your theory with a render or two. It may be that to process those corners out adds the same amount of time as leaving them in.

Rooboy222
01-05-2010, 03:13 PM
yeah was thinkng it could cause problems , it was mostly for the parts

bassically a car building its self all the parts come in from differant places so the main prob was getting rid of them till needed

theres a basic version of an old model i made here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4pAG_J8wAA

skills have increased since then thankfully lol

UnCommonGrafx
01-05-2010, 03:42 PM
If your walls and floors are plain white, it takes no real processing time for them. Better you pop your objects in with dissolve then move them into position.
those 'popped' items would save on rendering time when not present, particularly if they are large.
Cool animation. Needs to be faster by way of more frames.

Rooboy222
01-05-2010, 03:44 PM
yeah its not great was my first full model and first animation that was before i knew about sub patches or anything , and the animation is purely morphs

UnCommonGrafx
01-05-2010, 03:46 PM
Oh my... ;) Amazing how we work really hard when learning all to work easier and faster later on.
Kudos to you.

Rooboy222
01-05-2010, 03:47 PM
yeah the day i discovered sub patches made many sleepless nights seem very pointless