PDA

View Full Version : bendable lights

Joebob
09-04-2003, 07:12 AM
I would personally love to see some more tools in Layout- like Bend, for example. I'd love to be able to twist and contort lights into just about any shape. Especially linear lights, this would be great for neon signs and whatnot.

Mylenium
09-04-2003, 08:31 AM
Nope! From my limited understanding of the mathematical issues involved this would be nearly undoable. Lights are only coordinates in world space without any real volume that emit/ intersect with rays. Linear lights and tubes are only arrays of points. How would you deform this freely and still tell the renderer to correctly calculate light distribution? Sounds impossible to me. Even if it is possible it would quite likely become dead slow. It's much easier to fake the effect using mapped spot lights or custom arrays of point lights. If you need visible tubing, you can already do that with geometry and tons of glow.

Mylenium

erikals
09-04-2003, 04:11 PM
Yeah, probably would be slow. Would be cool to be able to blend lights though. Joebob, maybe you can fake it somehow? The way the bullets in The Matrix affect the air might be an effect you can tweak to the extreeme to achive the effect. Maybe, just guessing. Saw some artticles/tuts on CGtalk.com on that.

Erik

Exper
09-05-2003, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by Mylenium
It's much easier to fake the effect using mapped spot lights or custom arrays of point lights. If you need visible tubing, you can already do that with geometry and tons of glow.A plugin/LScript providing this features should be quite/really easy to implement! ;)

Bye.