PDA

View Full Version : Still: Pain

Ember
09-04-2003, 07:11 AM
Ok, this is my first pic ever posted in here. I know it pales in comparison to the most work in here. But here goes...

http://www.students.tut.fi/~collinn/Pain.jpg

It ain't perfect but I consider it finished. The "rust" texture on the container is quite poor and some other things should be corrected but I'm not going to spend any time in it anymore.

Anyhow, all comments are appreciated so that I can improve my skills. I'm just a hobbyist who does now and then some animations in my friends company (don't get any salary, but I get to use LW in my personal projects).

richpr
09-04-2003, 09:05 AM
Very nice....

I'd make the links in the chain a bit more oblong/rectangular, less circular...

Ember
09-09-2003, 09:35 AM
Seems like no one is interested about this pic (with the exception of richpr)...

I think the idea about the links might be a good one. Not sure though, I'll have to try it when I have time. Anyway thanks for your comment!

By the way, does some of you see this pic too dark? I got that kind of response from other forum but I haven't seen anything like that in 10 or so different computers so far. Am I blind or should the other guys tweak their monitor settings? :p

dmg3d
09-09-2003, 12:36 PM
Ember-

I like the composition... very cool. How did you accomplish the DOF?

The rust isn't too bad, maybe making each part of the container a seperate rust texture and then offsetting it a bit wouldn't give it that "the whole thing is one big texture" look.

The other thing that would help is more subdivisions on the container and the glass...

Nice job.
-Dave

liquidpope
09-09-2003, 01:11 PM
Cool work, dude.

Only crits -
Surfaces are good, they just need to be broken apart for each separate object in the scene.
The spider web is way too large and uniform.

I love the idea though, and the head model is quite good.
The character's expression is perfect, and the gauges near the top of the "tank" are excellent points of detail.
Super job.

I looked again, and I said to myself...
"I'd add a lot more random lengths of chain."
Just my opinions...

Ember
09-10-2003, 03:58 AM
Thanks for your kind words!

Hehe, when you're begging for comments you'll start to get 'em... :D

dmg3d:
DOF was made in Photoshop. I tried to get a nice looking DOF in LW but after doing horrible renders for a day I gave up and did it all in post.

liquidpope:
Spiderweb is kinda strange, agreed. At least I wouldn't like to face the spider which made that web. :p
The web was one of those "last minute changes" which were hastily drawn in Photoshop and then thrown there as a clip map. Oh well...

dmg3d & liquidpope:
I totally agree about the breaking of the textures! Why I didn't think about that in the first place?!? One of those phenomenas where you become blind to simple mistakes in your own picture...

I see that you have liked my texturing which I take for a compliment. I'm kinda newbie in texturing so far so it feels great to see people actually like 'em.

Oh, only the textures for the head were drawn in Photoshop, rest are 100% LW procedurals.

richpr
09-13-2003, 09:19 PM
Make some green light appear on the surrounding objects near the tank... you would expect that from the luminous tank...