PDA

View Full Version : Looking the wrong way, and a small Sasquatch issue too...

Paul_Boland
01-04-2010, 08:11 PM
Hi Folks.

Have two new questions to pose, hehe...

1. I have a character whose eyes are set to look at Null_Eyes. By moving the Null_Eyes object, my characters eyes follow it, fantastic!! Well, almost... When I move Null_Eyes left and right, the characters eyes follow suit, no problem. But if I move Null_Eyes up and down, my characters eyes go in the opposite direction. Null_Eyes up, character looks down. Null_Eyes down, character looks up. I've tried rotating the pivot point for the eyes (which is in the centre of each eye), but no joy, I end up with weird results!! Does anyone know how to fix this? I can work with it ok if need be, but would be great if my guy looked where Null_Eyes was, be it up or down, left or right.

2. This same chap has a nice bit of Sasquatch fur on his head, looks FANTASTIC (I LOVE SASQUATCH!!). However, he's also wearing a hat and some of the fur is sticking out through the hat. Is there any way to prevent this, add some sort of collision detection to the fur so it won't pass through the hat on his head, or something like that?

Thanks.

SplineGod
01-05-2010, 12:32 AM
Are you targetting the eyes to the null?
When using targetting the item needs to be facing down the zaxis is modeler.

For the fur I would not generate fur where the hat will be. You can also use maps to control the length in certain areas.
If you want more control over the hair in certain areas using hair guides.

Paul_Boland
01-05-2010, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the reply, SplineGod. Yes, the eyes are targeting Null_Eyes. The problem is I built the guy facing forward in the backview in modeller (not sure why Lightwave offer Backview as your default working view, none of the other 3D apps do it), so my eyes are backwards, so to speak. I tired rotating them in modeller but no effect. I take it I'm screwed in this issue and will just have to remember to build objects backwards (as such) in future.

With regards the Sasquatch issue, I did consider not putting hair under the hat, but was just wondering is there a way to have it there, with collision so it won't stick through the hat, but I can still have scenes where the guy takes his hat off. Thanks though, I'll remove the hair from under it and save it as a seperate character object and will work between the two version for scenes where I want the hat coming on/off the head.

lwaddict
01-06-2010, 07:43 AM
I've done that eye thing and figured this out...

Try adding a weight map at 100% to each eye,
then bone the eyes, each using it's respective weight map,
then target the bones to the null target or whatever the target may be.

Oh, make sure that the bones start at exactly the center of the eye for proper rotation.

Hope this helps.