PDA

View Full Version : Modeling with multiple punch outs in the surface

wesleycorgi
01-04-2010, 04:28 PM
What is the best technique in creating an object that has multiple holes? At a point, Modeler screams when I try to use booleans (because it is creating too many polys). A lot of times, I can fake holes with bump maps.

The model I am creating is similar to those architectural templates where it has a series of different shape holes punched into it.

WilliamVaughan
01-05-2010, 07:48 AM
If your trying to punch holes into one polygon I find it quicker and more accurate to split the polygon up into small bits ...the Boolean operations go faster and it's less likely to have issues.

do you have an image of what your after?

shrox
01-05-2010, 08:16 AM
If you are booleaning two curved surfaces, triangulating the two objects is a good thing as well.

wesleycorgi
01-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the tips --- this should work for me well. The design is a template similar to what you see with architects or school kids with circle/squares, but with specific devices related to my industry. I've started in AI for the holes/punch outs and will use LW renderings to prototype amongst my colleagues. The end result will be a manufactured template.

So I can easily subdivide divide the larger model into smaller bits --- which I guess will preserve the "integrity" of the overall piece.

Sensei
01-06-2010, 08:36 AM
TrueArt's old plug-in Wrinkle http://wrinkle.trueart.pl is designed for making punches in object.