PDA

View Full Version : Scene Editor Crash

greg.reyna
01-04-2010, 02:58 PM
Anyone have an idea as to why the Scene Editor is crashing 9.6 Layout? Opening the SE causes an immediate crash. This has only happened since I installed 9.6.1.

What happened is this. I installed 9.6.1 in order to use Fiber FX, but it didn't work, and now I can't get back to a normal 9.6, which had been running fine before the new install. I found that a scene saved in 9.6.1 would not subsequently open in 9.6, so I reconstructed an earlier version of the scene, with older copies of the models, and got that to open in 9.6. All is well--almost. This SE crash is very puzzling.

I've been using separate Preference folders, so the different versions of LW each had their own. First of all, when I had trouble loading the 9.6.1 scene file I deleted Layout prefs. Then after discovering the SE crash, I deleted lwsceneeditor.cfg, but that didn't help. Is there some other magic I need to know?

For some reason I'm not able to search these forums, so I apologize if this problem has come up recently.

Thanks, Greg Reyna

greg.reyna
01-04-2010, 10:31 PM
It's really odd, the original Scene Editor opens with no problem and 9.6 is stable as always, only opening an instance of the new SE crashes Layout immediately. This happens whether or not a scene is loaded.

toby
01-05-2010, 02:45 AM
You could try reloading the plugin - the classic SE is built into the LW code, the new one is a plugin, so it's a bit different.

Go to Edit Plugins, find SceneEditor in the Master plugins list, hit the delete button, then add it back again. Always take note of the plugin filename in the right column - sometimes it's different from the plugin you're reloading - so you can find it on your system.

greg.reyna
01-05-2010, 09:18 PM
Thanks Toby, that's it.

I'm an idiot. I've always had my suspicions, and this proves it. Somehow I put the 9.6.1 Plugins folder under LW 9.6. No wonder Layout was crashing, trying to load the Scene Editor plugin of the future. I will spare everyone the details of how this bizarre occurrence came to be.

I see you like Itchy & Scratchy. I animated the first 'hammer scene' between them for the Simpsons first season in 1989. Occasionally I do get things right.

Greg

toby
01-05-2010, 10:30 PM
OMG are you kidding?!
:bowdown:
That's quite a claim to fame! But I suppose it's pretty tough being a 2d animator now. Have you transitioned to 3d?

greg.reyna
01-06-2010, 11:27 PM
I'm workin' on it. Finally figured out how to animate this year--curves and all! At the moment I'm appreciating the skill it takes to light a simple scene when it has lots of movement. Coming from pencil & paper, I first had to un-learn what I knew in order to learn CG. Learning how to see all over again. For example, a simple slo-in-or-out is conceived in a totally different way in the two media. And of course I could use the quickness I had 20 years ago...;-)

toby
01-07-2010, 01:16 AM
Just as far as getting work, you don't need to worry about lighting do you?

JonW
01-07-2010, 05:21 AM
I had it happen for a while on 9.6 then it stopped happening. I have no clue to why, other than a dodgy scene which was causing it.

gerry_g
01-08-2010, 02:35 PM
It used to be the case that any object lacking a .lwo extension in a scene would automatically crash LW when you opened the scene editor, whether or not it still does I don't know cos 9.6 adds the file extension automatically these days so I would think if this is still occurring it would be with old objects created pre 9.6