PDA

View Full Version : Volumetric light question?

alkart2003
01-04-2010, 08:12 AM
I'm creating a nebula to fly in and out of. Can you fly into a volumetric light and still keep the detail of the structure or does it fall apart? If so what would be an easier way to create a realistic nebula you can fly in and out of?

Nangleator
01-04-2010, 08:54 AM
A volumetric light would work in one sense, because depending on the level of detail in your texture, you can have all the detail you need. However, it would require an artful array of volumetric lights to build up a realistic looking nebula just from lights.

Perhaps a combination of volumetric lights and HVs would work best. For the HVs, you could use a combination of volumes and sprites.

SplineGod
01-04-2010, 02:43 PM
"Realistic" can mean just about anything actually esp when it comes to something like a nebula. Probably once inside the nebula it wouldnt look like what we see from hundreds of lightyears away.
Depending upon what you want the final look to be you could use a combination of HVs, volume lights, geometry and textured environment.

alkart2003
01-04-2010, 04:53 PM
Larry

I bought alot of your training DVD's from Kurv. Is this something you could do some training on i.e. (astronomical themes)? I bet you Kurv would sale these big. I know I would buy.

shrox
01-04-2010, 05:31 PM
I've been thinking about making a galactic scenery set.

prometheus
01-05-2010, 01:20 AM
I prefer hypervoxel sprites and procedural textures on nebulas, some post
process in aftereffects for a little shine light..

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=55118&d=1203911813

for galaxy a single volume light with procedural textures in the middle could
serve very well as the center glow combined with sprites.

procedural textures on geometry keeps detail aswell, and renders faster,
check dave jerrards tutes.
http://www.mohhs.com/lw/pdf/Nebula.pdf

Michael

alkart2003
01-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Were those photos of real nebula or something you created? If you did create those could you show us how because they are incredible?

prometheus
01-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Were those photos of real nebula or something you created? If you did create those could you show us how because they are incredible?

if you mean these?
http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachm...8&d=1203911813

those Nebula are all lightwave and hypervoxels sprites mostly on null objects.. no photos.

and maybe one of them is hypervoxels volume mode, and that one also
has some light shining through fakes, done in after effects with shine.
I also has some background environment procedurals in there to fill out space.

Just fire up Viper add a null and some hypervoxels sprite and play around
with it a couple of months:)

Michael

Nangleator
01-06-2010, 12:27 PM
play around
with it a couple of months
Geez! You got some kinda monster computer there!

Boris Goreta
01-06-2010, 12:59 PM
Fantastic work. They look like real reference photos.

prometheus
01-06-2010, 01:26 PM
Geez! You got some kinda monster computer there!

:stumped::stumped::stumped:http://www.newtek.com/forums/images/smilies/brians/confused.gif:stumped::stumped:

monster computer?

Well those nebula images are done on 3ghz pentium 2 gig ram, windows xp 32 bit,nvidia quadro 1100 card.. and those renders extremly fast within a few minutes, at least the sprites one depending on if I use the highest levels of sprite slices or not.

for a newbie, it will take time to learn how to tweak controls in hypervoxels, and additional time to learn to tweak it to look exactly what you want, hence the statement of a couple of months.

Thanks for the comments on them looking real...the first thing one has to
do is to search some google nebulas and study them as reference, how colors might look like inside and outside of nebulas, how distortion looks like etc.

I havent been doing any of these fun nebula stuff since 8 months ago I believe, due to a faulty motherboard or graphics card wich hangs my computer to often, and Im also busy at work doing product renders of gym
machines right now.

I need a month more before I invest in a new 64 bit machine and a new 3800 nvidia card, and if Tim dunnīs new attractor program shows up and
if the rumoured bukadan cfd plugin shows up soon, I expect to get more inspiration to start again with more cosmic stuff that hopefully can
yield much more stunning images than ever before.

I have no clue thou how either hypervoxels or cfd,attractors or anything else for these effects will translate in a crossover to the Lightwave core?
that is left in the dark for me.

I havent been able to do training vids for this as intended, since my crappy computer freezes from time to time, well see once I get my new machine.

Michael

Nangleator
01-06-2010, 01:32 PM
My comment was a joke on the "months" remark. I remember trying to render volumetric nebulae. It was time consuming.

Sprites should be fun to play around with, though.

prometheus
01-06-2010, 01:57 PM
My comment was a joke on the "months" remark. I remember trying to render volumetric nebulae. It was time consuming.

Sprites should be fun to play around with, though.

:) I thought so..

yeah..I prefer sprites since render times are faster and while you tweak it
itīs a pretty fast feedback wich is important in these cases where you have to tweak alot.
The true thick horsehead nebula is a bit trickier thou with sprites, and might require hv volume instead, but..there you go with long render times.

I think I got something decent a while ago testing with the dynamite fluid plugin, but it had pore render quality so it wouldnīt stand up to it, letīs see what bukadan can do if it shows up.

I did some tests on nebulas in Vue 8 ple wich in fact has volumetric materials working on whole objects wich I would like to see in a future for
core, the problem with vue volumetrics thou, was that it was pretty heavy in rendertimes aswell, and it was a bit tricky to learn how to
get a good color gradient in the function editor.

I believe thou that the most used and most fail proof way of doing this,
is either painted images on geometry, or use procedurals on geometry as
dave jerrard seems to be doing, I havenīt seen anything thou from the show series about hubble? he did for discovery.

One could always try other techniques and blend them, such as paint the
initial shape nebula and use that on sprites clips but using hv sprites for
further color, light and procedural tweakings.

Or one could use chaoscope apophysis or after effects flame and even map those
images on to geometry in lightwave, however they are still render intensive
and resolution dependend where procedurals are not resolution dependent.

hereīs some other stuff id did in apophysis,chaoscope and the sun is a sphere and procedurals and some hypervoxels sprites in the background for background glow, and a little particles shooting out aswell.

http://www.spinquad.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38700&d=1259679857

Michael

halley
01-06-2010, 02:18 PM
This is a link to and After Effects tutorial. I have not done this one in a few years and can't remember how much AE knowledge you need, but you can't argue that the final product looks good. The movie example link is on the top left of the tutorial. And source files are included.

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/hamad_serge/sci_fi1.php

prometheus
01-06-2010, 05:32 PM
This is a link to and After Effects tutorial. I have not done this one in a few years and can't remember how much AE knowledge you need, but you can't argue that the final product looks good. The movie example link is on the top left of the tutorial. And source files are included.

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/hamad_serge/sci_fi1.php

Well..interesting and it might be worth checking out if one can use the plugins.

But I really didnīt like the end result that much, itīs kinda to much
line flowing distortions in there, where I would like to see more finer fractal
distortions and also different sizes in those outgoing streaks, but I can
see that this technique might have some potential, and I didnt read through the tutorial.

I think similar animated look could be acheived with simple hypertextures like lyapunov on single nulls or two, and animated with velocity(use align to path, no woorld coord and a minus value of ca 10 to flow animation outwards) and a mix with other hypertextures to give it more depth.

Edit..there is a backdraw to some of mine hypervoxels, since many of them either use displacement to distort wich is okay but
also billowing..wich is not okay for animation since that effect would need to be freezed, but for single image creation to be
further mapped on geometry itīs a good start and tweakable, if you donīt have the time to paint nebulas or find it hard to
distort gas undulations in photoshop.

Michael