PDA

View Full Version : 32 bit vs 64 bit

VonBon
01-02-2010, 11:18 AM
ok i found out my cpu was able to run a 64 bit OS (GM 5478 -Q6600)
so i went out and purhased windows 7 to use the 64 bit installation.
(system originally came with 32 bit vista)

"windows 7" i don't know what to say. BUT, i finally got it to install so i
have vista 32 bit and win7 64 bit setup with duel boot.

i have both versions of LW9 and i don't see any speed improvments
on my system. the render times on both versions are the same for me.
+- a few seconds.

i used a scene that has FFX and volumetric lights.

while on my quest to get windows 7 installed, i saw somewhere about
the bios being in a 64 bit mode, but i saw alot of stuff :D

was wondering if you guys think its just windows 7 being a new release
or could it be something else.

biliousfrog
01-02-2010, 12:12 PM
64bit only becomes faster if you're using more memory...that's the whole point. 32bit operating systems can only access just under 3gb of RAM and each application can only access a maximum of 2gb. With a 64bit OS 32bit applications can access up to 4gb RAM and 64bit applications can access up to 128gb.

Sooo...if you have a scene that requires more than 3gb RAM it will be much slower on a 32bit OS because it will require the use of swap space on the hard drive...or potentially not load/render at all. If you're still running the same hardware and testing with scenes that are fine on 32bit then you probably won't notice any difference.

Fill it up with 8gb + and you'll find that you can run multiple apps at the same time easily and load massive images into Photoshop, Lightwave etc.

Marshun
01-03-2010, 05:30 AM
http://www.w7forums.com/windows-7-64-bit-vs-32-bit-t484.html

Some things to consider when going for 64-bit. I'm leaning to 64 as this little tree will, in short time, start to soar. A new computer won't be so new in a very short and real time either.

A conclusion for me?? 64

VonBon
01-03-2010, 09:49 AM
cool thanks guys, i see i can go up to 8gb of ram.

Amurrell
01-06-2010, 01:48 PM
With performance, there really isn't going to be a noticeable difference with some tasks as there is in other tasks. The greatest performance enhancement that I have seen comes from faster/more memory and processor type, and don't forget the graphics card. Render times improve with more threads available and more memory to keep down HDD swapping/paging. Pipeline may be bigger, but doesn't mean anything in a bottleneck, you need to let the information breathe :). So what I am getting at is that performance comes mainly from the hardware end but the software can provide the method of operations for performance. Just by simply upgrading to a 64bit OS does not mean that all things are twice as fast but that more information can be passed provided the app you are using is coded that way to take advantage of the 64bit environment.