Any reckonings?

cresshead
01-02-2010, 06:58 AM
it'll be fine!
based on the i5 chip not the i7 i believe so no hyperthreading

Lightwolf
01-02-2010, 07:14 AM
based on the i5 chip not the i7 i believe so no hyperthreading
The i7 is an optional upgrade... not sure if it's shipping yet though.

Update: It seems to be... and a higher clock plus HT seems to be well worth the price difference.

Cheers,
Mike

littlewaves
01-02-2010, 07:24 AM
might be worth holding out to see what the next Mac Pro has to offer both in terms of spec and price.

been a few rumours that we could be seeing a significant refresh of that line this quarter.

@meshpig: I'm also currently using 24" imac with 3gb. Don't know what clock speed you've got (mine is core 2 duo 2.16) but I worked out roughly (couldn't find a direct comparison) by looking at the benchmarks that the i7 imac would give me roughly a 3x speed increase on multithreaded tasks such as rendering.

Lightwolf
01-02-2010, 07:29 AM
been a few rumours that we could be seeing a significant refresh of that line this quarter.
Well, the earliest would be March, if history repeats itself roughly two weeks before CeBit, with the new 6-cores coming out from Intel by that time.

Cheers,
Mike

meshpig
01-02-2010, 08:09 PM
Thanks guys, looking into the i7 presently... seems to be available.

littlewaves: have you had any trouble with the NVidia in your 24"? Compared to other macs I've had with ATI I don't think it's as good and apart from the fact that it's died twice.

littlewaves
01-03-2010, 07:24 AM
Thanks guys, looking into the i7 presently... seems to be available.

littlewaves: have you had any trouble with the NVidia in your 24"? Compared to other macs I've had with ATI I don't think it's as good and apart from the fact that it's died twice.

Not had any specific problems that I've been aware of. Sometimes it's felt a little slow but I guess that's when I've been pushing the limits (like having hi poly objects in a scene)

I've not used a Mac with an ati card though so don't really have anything to compare with.

I deal with a lot of prepress for very hi res quark and photoshop work for print and get by okay.

Sometimes screen redraw slows down a bit and if I've got a lot of apps open (which I usually have) then things can really start to freeze up.

I'm not an expert though and maybe this is as much memory or CPU as graphics shortcomings?

I'm also looking to upgrade in the next few months and am certainly considering the new imac but holding off as long as I can in the hope that the next mac pro revision has a bit more to offer than the current model

meshpig
01-04-2010, 01:23 AM
Thanks... I must have copped a bad batch or something? Apple replaced the original innards twice months out of warranty but the replacements weren't any better though I put that down to the appalling servicing set up here until recently... know all, pot smoking :D young boys with an attitude must have used dodgy parts?:)

Apple more recently reckon it's Dust and the thing overheats but not after only a few weeks as is the case in the image below. Freaky hey?

OnlineRender
01-04-2010, 01:33 AM
could be dust ! or could just be a customer service rep thinking of the first thing that came in there head ! , any chance you sit your tower on the ground/floor ??

meshpig
01-04-2010, 02:31 AM
could be dust ! or could just be a customer service rep thinking of the first thing that came in there head ! , any chance you sit your tower on the ground/floor ??

No, not on the floor. iMacs though draw the heat up from the bottom and vent it at the top. As dust falls in the reverse direction I suppose they're more susceptible than a horizontally respirating machine.

If it was dust the useless motherf**kers didn't clean it the first time around when they had it open because I can't do it. Anyway, it's a business expense but who needs the interruption.

I must keep my workspace cleaner
I must keep my workspace cleaner
I must keep my workspace cleaner:jam:

erikals
01-04-2010, 11:30 AM
not sure, but interesting,..

AMD “Magny-Cours” (12 cores) to be released first quarter, 2010.
http://blogs.amd.com/work/tag/magny-cours/

JonW
01-04-2010, 07:34 PM
My UPS had a warning light & alarm that the battery was off line. I couldn’t work out what was wrong. I had opened the UPS before & replaced the fans. I thought I would have another look.

The thing was so full of dust I nearly had heart failure. Cleaned it all out & everything was up & running.

I do try to keep my work area clean & vacuum regularly, but it is staggering just how much dust never the less still accumulates in every nook & cranny. Unfortunately computers seem to be great vacuum cleaners & their heatsinks are excellent at filtering out the dust regardless of how far off the floor they are.

I haven’t had to run the air conditioning as much this year. But on heavy usage years the filters are absolutely full of dust, & the filter is in the ceiling.

I am thinking of getting something like this http://www.mountainbreeze.com.au/ or something similar. If anyone has any suggestions or experience of something like this it would be appreciated.

meshpig
01-04-2010, 11:16 PM
Yes, so I suspect my machine is no dustier than most others.

- That looks pretty neat, reasonably priced and 40 sq's is about right.

meshpig
01-05-2010, 12:03 AM
not sure, but interesting,..

AMD “Magny-Cours” (12 cores) to be released first quarter, 2010.
http://blogs.amd.com/work/tag/magny-cours/

Is the lateral processor configuration due to the heat and radiation problems associated with simply increasing the clips of a single unit? Or is it just logical like Series and Parallel?

- God vs Lucifer; as in one great omnipotent chip versus the bearer of light, as it were. Probably a stupid question but Einstein observed the instantaneity of light in terms of information and the object of information machines is to simulate the natural state thereof.

If say you had an infinite number of parallel processors would "instantaneity" mean anything or is it just a big word for a very small thing?

erikals
01-05-2010, 07:51 AM
good question, we'll see upon release...

meshpig
01-06-2010, 12:49 AM
I am thinking of getting something like this http://www.mountainbreeze.com.au/ or something similar. If anyone has any suggestions or experience of something like this it would be appreciated.

I bought one anyway, will let you know how it goes. Though I doubt it will help with my wife's long hair and the 2 dogs malting.

JonW
01-06-2010, 01:29 AM
Hope it does the trick.

I feel it's the fine dust that is the real problem. Failing that you may need to shave the dogs & .....

The other thing you may need to work out is how the air enters & then circulates into the room to get it to do as good as job as possible.

There would be no point having it at the end of the circuit of the air’s path.

meshpig
01-06-2010, 03:04 AM
Shave the Doggies!!!... grrrr ... woof, unheard of they say:D

Yes it's definitely a particle flow problem. Didn't get any idea in the shipping notes as to when it will arrive. I fear it's coming from Dulbourne 3000 by post.

meshpig
01-15-2010, 01:13 AM
Hope it does the trick.

I feel it's the fine dust that is the real problem.

Had it running for a few days on low, (120 w). Dusted beforehand and so far so good, no dust settling where it usually would though too soon for a definite appraisal.

Rick Hall
02-10-2010, 10:34 PM
This new system is great! It is more than twice as fast as my dual core Athlon 4800+ and 10 times faster than my iMac 1.8GHz G5. The 27 inch display is huge. Every time I upgrade computers, I switch PC and Mac. The OpenGL kicks *****.

Rick

erikals
02-11-2010, 03:25 AM
...what graphics card is it?

Markc
02-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Rick Hall
just got an iMac quad core i5
This new system is great! It is more than twice as fast as my dual core Athlon 4800+ and 10 times faster than my iMac 1.8GHz G5. The 27 inch display is huge. Every time I upgrade computers, I switch PC and Mac. The OpenGL kicks *****.

I am considering getting a new machine, but can't decide between 27 inch imac or Macpro.
Have you experienced any display issues (have heard people have had a lot of problems with the 27inch displays?)

Rick Hall
02-11-2010, 04:36 PM
The system over is:

Intel Core i5
four cores at 2.66 GHz
8 GB 1067 MHZ DDR3
ATI Radeon HD 4850, VRAM 512 MB,
Resolution: 2560 x 1440

I've had no issues with anything. It is rock solid so far.

Rick

littlewaves
02-13-2010, 04:54 AM
I am considering getting a new machine, but can't decide between 27 inch imac or Macpro.
Have you experienced any display issues (have heard people have had a lot of problems with the 27inch displays?)

hold out a little longer. Sounds like we'll be seeing a Mac Pro refresh in the next couple of months. Mac Pro market is dead at the moment so maybe they'll give it a decent boost to try and revitalize it.

Hard to say though. Apple do seem to be gradually getting out of the pro market.

Markc
02-13-2010, 05:08 AM
Yeah, am waiting desperately for news of new MacPro's in March/April (hopefully). My G5 is starting to show it's age now (as well as more and more apps dropping PPC support).