PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challange #70 - Tribute to Stargate-SG1

chco2
01-02-2010, 02:39 AM
Speed Modeling Challenge #70 - Tribute to Stargate-SG1!
Rules:

1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.
3. LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

Lightwave Speed Modeling Group

This week's topic: Tribute to Stargate-SG1!

Hope you all share the thought that the original series was the most influential. I kind of miss that series and her characters. So.. a tribute to a complete new franchise that started about 13-14 years ago.
Anything goes and try to keep the original thought of the series (technical, funny, military, scifi, etc..) If you have no inspiration for SG-1 then go for Atlantis or SG-Universe.

Time Limit - 60 minutes.

Deadline - Friday 8th of January 2010 - 2200 hrs GMT

geothefaust
01-02-2010, 02:53 AM
Awesome one man. I love SG-1. It's has quite literally taken over my #1 favorite show. I simply wont be able to resist joining this challenge!

colkai
01-02-2010, 05:10 AM
SG-1 was our fav. show for a long time, plus it had Amanda Tapping in it as a bonus! :D
Have to have a thinky on this. :)

chco2
01-02-2010, 05:21 AM
Kewl! Looking forward to your entry!

Awesome one man. I love SG-1. It's has quite literally taken over my #1 favorite show. I simply wont be able to resist joining this challenge!

chco2
01-02-2010, 05:23 AM
Now that you mention it.. I'm also wondering what to do.. There is so much, yet it has to be done right to make it convincing.. lol
Ow.. although we always keep the thread clean of nudity, I will make an exception if ya create a nice Amanda model ;)

SG-1 was our fav. show for a long time, plus it had Amanda Tapping in it as a bonus! :D
Have to have a thinky on this. :)

colkai
01-02-2010, 06:57 AM
Now that you mention it.. I'm also wondering what to do.. There is so much, yet it has to be done right to make it convincing.. lol
Ow.. although we always keep the thread clean of nudity, I will make an exception if ya create a nice Amanda model ;)

Heh, chance of me modelling anything organic ...Zero, I just never got around to it. :)
Could take a cop out and model one of the communication stones, that'd take all of 3 mins. :p

chco2
01-02-2010, 08:19 AM
hehe..

I'm thinking Replicators :hey:

Nangleator
01-02-2010, 09:57 AM
I can probably do the metal thingy on that guy's head.

Probably best if I research better!

chco2
01-02-2010, 01:09 PM
Took about 30min of modeling and about an hour of getting surfacing and lightning right. Render for these images apr. 2 min each.

http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/replicator3.png

http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/replicator2.png

http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/replicator1.png

And the wire:

http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/replicator_wire.png

chco2
01-02-2010, 01:13 PM
lol still not used to the fact it is 2010 ;)

oobievision
01-02-2010, 10:42 PM
looks awsome. well I would love to do this one. but my system has destroyed most of my ram yet again. and im running on 1gig. hopefully ill get some new ram soon. and I also updated my system to win7 pro 64bit so I think I have to get a new serial key.

chco2
01-03-2010, 02:23 AM
thanks!
Lol.. seems you need a complete new PC ;)

looks awsome. well I would love to do this one. but my system has destroyed most of my ram yet again. and im running on 1gig. hopefully ill get some new ram soon. and I also updated my system to win7 pro 64bit so I think I have to get a new serial key.

chco2
01-03-2010, 06:22 AM
Iain, could you update the Speedmodeling forumtopic? Last two are missing..
Thanks!

colkai
01-03-2010, 08:37 AM
Got an idea, gonna see if I can tackle a DHD :)

chco2
01-03-2010, 09:55 AM
This is a couple of years ago, but still thought I'd share this :) He actually had it tongue in my ear :S :D

http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/sg1.jpg

geothefaust
01-03-2010, 11:10 AM
Nice! Awesome photo. Christopher Judge and Michael Shanks seem like two really cool dudes.

And nice replicator too. :)

chco2
01-03-2010, 11:51 AM
Yeah they were actaully really nice. Bumped into them in the lounge of a hotel for a convention they had there. Ended up drinking beer with them for two hours :P

chco2
01-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Another one.. took me aprox. 45 min to model and 15 min to setup layout. Could have done more on texturing.. Render took 2.50 mins.

http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/rings.png

And the wire:

http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/rings_wire.png

Ernest
01-03-2010, 12:48 PM
This is a couple of years ago, but still thought I'd share this :) He actually had it tongue in my ear :S :D

And you have not washed your ear ever since ;)

colkai
01-04-2010, 02:21 AM
Now Amanda Tappings tongue in my ear, oh boy, cold shower. :D :D

chco2
01-04-2010, 02:36 AM
hehe.. indeed!

Now Amanda Tappings tongue in my ear, oh boy, cold shower. :D :D

chco2
01-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Darn.. I was hoping for many entries this time :-(

Iain
01-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Darn.. I was hoping for many entries this time :-(

Never seen a single episode myself!

We didn't get much interest at this time last year either-only natural I think.

chco2
01-05-2010, 12:58 PM
Hmm.. just my luck then ;)

Never seen a single episode? You have been missing out! I have seen many tv-series as I always tend to watch the 1st couple of episodes of a show, but I can truly say that SG-1 was one of the only shows that had me in front of the tv @ a specific hour every week! Never happened before (well.. perhaps in a lesser scale Babylon 5 and the original airing of "V") and never happened again (well.. ok.. I do like House ;)).
Of course.. it is always a matter of personal taste.

Never seen a single episode myself!

We didn't get much interest at this time last year either-only natural I think.

COBRASoft
01-05-2010, 02:07 PM
I would have liked to join, but too much developing work again... Hope to find some time next week though.

I want a remote for that replicator, would be fun to have :)

oobievision
01-06-2010, 06:49 PM
Ok heres my last minute entry about 50min no composite cause I havent installed photoshop yet,

chco2
01-07-2010, 12:31 AM
Nice!
I didn't dare to go for the Stargate, I would never had it finished within the hour :)

colkai
01-07-2010, 03:06 AM
Nice!
I didn't dare to go for the Stargate, I would never had it finished within the hour :)

I hear that :)
As it is I'm struggling trying to figure out how to do the DHD base, I think I may end up faking it and not have it accurate, it's more complex than it looks. :p

chco2
01-07-2010, 04:30 AM
hehe.. yes if you look @ the stargate props they are all very detailed..

colkai
01-07-2010, 06:48 AM
I feel a "re-imagining" coming on :p ;)

oobievision
01-07-2010, 07:11 AM
oh yeah I wish I could have added more detail but time wouldnt allow. now Shrox made an incredible stargate and animated for all to play with he said it took him 6 hours to make.
heres the link to the thread http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104061&highlight=stargate

Iain
01-07-2010, 01:20 PM
That's really nice oobie.

Can't you just composite in LW?

oobievision
01-07-2010, 02:07 PM
well I could, but I wouldnt be able to get exacly how I wanted it. I got Pshop now so we shall see what I come up with

oobievision
01-07-2010, 02:46 PM
Heres my composite real quick one.

UltraViolet
01-07-2010, 11:43 PM
I hear that :)
As it is I'm struggling trying to figure out how to do the DHD base, I think I may end up faking it and not have it accurate, it's more complex than it looks. :p

Hmm, I could never find a good photo reference for DHD base (top is everywhere on the web), so I kind of gave up on that, do you maybe know where I can find one ?

Anyways, good entries so far, guys :D

I wish that people like me who model outside LW are included in these challenges, there has been none in Silo forums for a very long time :(

geothefaust
01-07-2010, 11:49 PM
Personally I think, in the spirit of enjoyment everyone should be allowed to join in. But that's just me. :)

Anyway, I'm trying to get to making something for this one, but I haven't had much time to do it. I have business obligations to meet before fun. :( I'm still going to try and make something before the deadline (if I can), if not, I will just post it up anyway after it is over. This is the best challenge I have seen in a while!

colkai
01-08-2010, 03:07 AM
Hmm, I could never find a good photo reference for DHD base (top is everywhere on the web), so I kind of gave up on that, do you maybe know where I can find one ?

Heh, no, that's kinda been my problem. :p
As I haven't had chance so far to do anything, I am going to *have* to do a 're-imagined' base, just too much faffing otherwise and I've ran out of research time. :thumbsup:

OnlineRender
01-08-2010, 03:24 AM
LENS FLAREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEE ,nice model

Iain
01-08-2010, 01:58 PM
I wish that people like me who model outside LW are included in these challenges, there has been none in Silo forums for a very long time :(

Feel free to post your models here. It would be nice if the render was LW if the model wasn't though.
This is a LW modelling challenge so the spirit of the thing would be defeated if an entry modelled in silo was considered in the running but hey, there's no prize anyway ;D

chco2
01-08-2010, 02:47 PM
I do agree with you.. It is a lw speed modeling challenge afterall, but then again.. who am I ;-)

Feel free to post your models here. It would be nice if the render was LW if the model wasn't though.
This is a LW modelling challenge so the spirit of the thing would be defeated if an entry modelled in silo was considered in the running but hey, there's no prize anyway ;D

colkai
01-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Eek, talk about cutting it close.
Not chance to texture it yet bar UV-ing the chevrons.
But wanted to get the model in before 10:00. :D

Took almost the full hour to do, a good 50% of it was that base though. I just could leave it at a simple structure! :p

Will Put up a textured version tomorrow or Sunday. :)

colkai
01-08-2010, 03:05 PM
Oh, here's a weird thing. I was trying to render it with a Sibl Environment, but it wiped out my bump maps - any clues why? (Perspective camera by the way). So I ended up using FPrime

chco2
01-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Looking forward to the texturing! Nice model!

Eek, talk about cutting it close.
Not chance to texture it yet bar UV-ing the chevrons.
But wanted to get the model in before 10:00. :D

Took almost the full hour to do, a good 50% of it was that base though. I just could leave it at a simple structure! :p

Will Put up a textured version tomorrow or Sunday. :)

chco2
01-09-2010, 01:48 AM
Help me out here guys! If I'm not mistaken I have to point out the winner of this week..Give me all your thoughts, ok?

oobievision
01-09-2010, 09:11 AM
colkai hands down great model and geometry is clean and flows well

oobievision
01-09-2010, 09:12 AM
Oh, here's a weird thing. I was trying to render it with a Sibl Environment, but it wiped out my bump maps - any clues why? (Perspective camera by the way). So I ended up using FPrime

ive had that prob too but at least it leaves the rest of the textures intact only thing u have to do is reset the bumps.

colkai
01-09-2010, 09:58 AM
Figured it out, perspective camera, changed it to real lens and it was fine. Odd.
Anyhoo, whilst I'm posting :p
Here's a surfaced version, mainly procedurals, with a could of image maps for bumps.

Kuzey
01-09-2010, 12:22 PM
Colkai...that turned out great :thumbsup:

Kuzey

AdamAvenali
01-09-2010, 12:23 PM
so i am finally back in town, settled in and awaiting SMC #71 :D

Iain
01-09-2010, 01:00 PM
but then again.. who am I ;-)

The man who is setting another challenge (Nr 71), by my reckoning :D

chco2
01-09-2010, 02:30 PM
Allright.. only two entries (not counting me, since I can't be judging myself now can I ;))

oobievision
Nice model and looks like a clean build. Pitty that the inner ring, where the event horizon is, isn't smooth.. very noticable due to the event horizon. That said.. I do like the event horizon in your last render.. looks great!

colkai
Both you and oobievision had a great entry, but I'm gonna give you the win on this one. It is an impressive model very clean and smooth.

I had a small SG-1 revival last week due to this challenge and loved it! Thanks!

Congrats to you both and I'll give the mic to Colkai now to set #71 !

chco2
01-09-2010, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the compliment :)

The man who is setting another challenge (Nr 71), by my reckoning :D

Iain
01-09-2010, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the compliment :)

The winner from the week before sets the challenge so you are in the hot seat on 71 for winning 69.

chco2
01-09-2010, 03:34 PM
ok.. I'm not that bright :) What exactly do you mean. Won #69, so I set #70. What do you mean by hot seat?

The winner from the week before sets the challenge so you are in the hot seat on 71 for winning 69.

AdamAvenali
01-09-2010, 03:41 PM
ok.. I'm not that bright :) What exactly do you mean. Won #69, so I set #70. What do you mean by hot seat?

whoever won 68 should have set 70, and whoever won 69 should set 71. there is one week between winning and setting :thumbsup:

oobievision
01-09-2010, 09:53 PM
actually I won both 67 and 68 made one long challange to get us back to speed
and back to Wednesday to Wednesday.

chco2
01-10-2010, 01:39 AM
So last week something went wrong then.. Sorry. I was told I won #69, so I had to set #70 and I did.
So.. Who is to set #71 this time? Intrigue :)

whoever won 68 should have set 70, and whoever won 69 should set 71. there is one week between winning and setting :thumbsup:

chco2
01-10-2010, 01:40 AM
Back from wed to wed... I missed that and set the end date on friday.. sorry :)

actually I won both 67 and 68 made one long challange to get us back to speed
and back to Wednesday to Wednesday.

colkai
01-10-2010, 03:49 AM
Well, Iain reckons you're setting the next one too, must admit, I've lost track of Xmas :p

Thanks for the win, I must admit, I was hoping for more entries myself, mainly because I'm such a big SG-1 fan. :D
Actually, in all honesty, if you want to extend it to Wed so others have the chance of doing a model, I'm quite up for that, more than willing to renege the win for more entries. :)

I've uploaded my model to the, well, model thread ;)
here we go. Notice how messy the UV's are hehe... One day, I'll learn how to do them properly, ya, right! :p

Link to model post:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=970438&postcount=252

AdamAvenali
01-10-2010, 11:28 AM
we could just giver our poor overworked wrists a break until wednesday, and then whoever is up to start the next one can do so :)

colkai
01-11-2010, 02:35 AM
Yep, that thought occurred to me this morning too, might be a good idea that.

Wittywop
01-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Hey Guys,

So I have been following the forum for the last couple months. Everyones work amazes me. I have been slowly trying to teach myself how to use lightwave. I have been reading books on it and watching and doing as many tutorials that I can get my hands on.

My goal this year is to do as many of the speed modeling challenges as I can. Any insight, comments, or tips would be greatly appreciated.

I saw this post on friday night. And tried to get it done before the dead line. It took me 70 minutes to model. it took 2 days to get my account activated.

I decide to try and make a Naquadah generator. This is the link to the object I used as a reference.
http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/File:NaquadahgeneratormarkI.jpg

Nangleator
01-11-2010, 12:26 PM
Hey, good job! And welcome!

Ah, the power of primitives. They can still get you so far.

colkai
01-11-2010, 12:54 PM
I decide to try and make a Naquadah generator.

Recognised what it was straight away! :)
Welcome aboard, hope you take part in other challenges. :thumbsup:

One little comment, if you find yourself with not enough time to do microbevels, take a look at the tb_edge shader

http://home.att.ne.jp/omega/tabo/3dlabo/p_lwp.html

or dpont edge node shader, really helps sell an edge when you run out of time. :)

Kuzey
01-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Nicely done Wittywop :thumbsup:

Welcome to the crazy section of the forums....it's a blast :D

Kuzey

oobievision
01-11-2010, 01:42 PM
ha ha Nangleator Love the seal poping in and out of your userID.

Nangleator
01-11-2010, 01:46 PM
ha ha Nangleator Love the seal poping in and out of your userID.
Heh. Thanks! Did you catch the original (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/08/the-best-animal-photobomb_n_416065.html?slidenumber=DK4U0mynTW0%3D&&&&&&&&&slideshow)?

R.Feeney
01-11-2010, 05:13 PM
to get things back on track we need a subject for Wed and then have the winner of this Stargate challenge for the following week. Then the winners will have the week to decide on their subject again.

I can start one on wed if no one else fancies it. I was thinking of levers as a subject, lots of variety to choose from from simple to complex.

UltraViolet
01-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Here is my intentionally very loose interpretation of Naquadah Generator modeled in Silo and rendered in LW :D

Modeled in around 60 minutes ...

Wittywop
01-11-2010, 05:36 PM
Wow! Very cool Ultra. Looks great

AdamAvenali
01-12-2010, 09:20 AM
to get things back on track we need a subject for Wed and then have the winner of this Stargate challenge for the following week. Then the winners will have the week to decide on their subject again.

I can start one on wed if no one else fancies it. I was thinking of levers as a subject, lots of variety to choose from from simple to complex.

i second your motion to do so :thumbsup:

chco2
01-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Welcome Witty!

I'm a newbie as well (to this thread) and this is great fun!
Nice model!

Hey Guys,

So I have been following the forum for the last couple months. Everyones work amazes me. I have been slowly trying to teach myself how to use lightwave. I have been reading books on it and watching and doing as many tutorials that I can get my hands on.

My goal this year is to do as many of the speed modeling challenges as I can. Any insight, comments, or tips would be greatly appreciated.

I saw this post on friday night. And tried to get it done before the dead line. It took me 70 minutes to model. it took 2 days to get my account activated.

I decide to try and make a Naquadah generator. This is the link to the object I used as a reference.
http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/File:NaquadahgeneratormarkI.jpg

R.Feeney
01-13-2010, 02:57 PM
I started up this weeks challenge
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105413

colkai
01-14-2010, 02:14 AM
Cheers Richard! :)