PDA

View Full Version : Very big favour!

ninjajok
01-01-2010, 10:10 AM
I created a very simple object for my graphics work which is a kiosk, the problem is lightwave is on my old, fairly rubbish laptop which makes good rendering impossible, and for simple rendering about 3 hours which is crazy and never looks good. Could anyone be kind enough for me to send the file and render it for me? I dont like to ask but im getting desperate, im sure on a decent computer it would take a few minutes. Thanks in advance

zapper1998
01-01-2010, 10:46 AM
sure up load it..
or send me a pm

hrgiger
01-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Just load up the file. You may want to let people know what kind of render you need. Like what kind of setting and such.

JonW
01-01-2010, 03:40 PM
More than happy to render it.

So you can see how far off the mark your computer is (it may not be that slow) run this benchmark http://3dspeedmachine.com/?page=3&scene=39

ninjajok
01-02-2010, 05:05 AM
You people are too kind...im just having to change some things to it because i can only find the old file ill try and get it done now! Thanks in advance
Got a question...when you save the file to go into layout do you normally merge all the layers?

ninjajok
01-02-2010, 08:00 AM
Ok i redid the whole thing, youll probably laugh when you see how overcomplicated iv made it. Should I do a scene aswell? I only need a floor and background maybe its easier if youve already got one... For the render I just need something that looks realistic, nothing special. Thanks in advance

JonW
01-02-2010, 05:38 PM
What we really need is a scene (.lws) with your object file & image files if they are needed, all in a folder ready to go . The scene will have your lighting set up with the camera you want to use for the render.

Basically if you have a very slow computer, just render a small image. Any old computer will render a small image. Then once you know what you want, post the scene with the image size you are after. (you just save the scene with all the settings). We just load your scene, hit f9, & return the image.

In modeler, Layers (F7) get into the habit of labelling each layer with a short but meaningful name. Also build everything as the correct scale in real life.

Also Diffuse, Specular, Glossiness, reflection are a bit all over the place. (start with having Diffuse at 50%, a white ceiling 70% etc) There is no point having reflective surfaces if there in nothing to reflect in your scene. Also the transparent holders....... be careful how you make & use transparent objects, a good example is say you have a couple of wine glasses on a table & in a wall behind you have a pane of glass. If all three things line up in your scene, you end up having 10 layers of transparent polygons, not good on slow computers. Plus on top of this, all the surfaces will be reflecting back & forth, even worse! (If something is too transparent you won’t see it if it is too transparent, start with around max 80%)

So your holder, at the very least doesn’t need any transparent polys at the back, & the 3 remaining sides should become one object. The bottom of the holder, either leave it off or make it a neutral grey solid colour so that it blends in. If the camera it going to be looking at the bottom of the holder then in this situation you may need to have it transparent. At the moment if the camera just happens to line up all the polys, you have 10 transparent layers!

Reflection in you scene..... even a couple of, black, white or colours square polygons. As long as there is something to be reflected. A bit like your bathroom if there was no towel of no wall, & obviously no scenery outside, there would be nothing to see in the mirror.

If you haven’t read these tutorials, do so, I think it may give a good jump on things. Even if they are unrelated watch them all anyway.
http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77002

What I would do for this basic structure is..... Create a 6 sided Disc, Then select various polys & cut up with the Knife tool (Shift+K) (carefully cutting something up in the right order will make things really quick to then Multiply). Then select the required polys, & Multiply using the Smooth Shift (Shift+F) or Extrude (Shift+E)

ninjajok
01-03-2010, 04:52 AM
What we really need is a scene (.lws) with your object file & image files if they are needed, all in a folder ready to go . The scene will have your lighting set up with the camera you want to use for the render.

Basically if you have a very slow computer, just render a small image. Any old computer will render a small image. Then once you know what you want, post the scene with the image size you are after. (you just save the scene with all the settings). We just load your scene, hit f9, & return the image.

In modeler, Layers (F7) get into the habit of labelling each layer with a short but meaningful name. Also build everything as the correct scale in real life.

Also Diffuse, Specular, Glossiness, reflection are a bit all over the place. (start with having Diffuse at 50%, a white ceiling 70% etc) There is no point having reflective surfaces if there in nothing to reflect in your scene. Also the transparent holders....... be careful how you make & use transparent objects, a good example is say you have a couple of wine glasses on a table & in a wall behind you have a pane of glass. If all three things line up in your scene, you end up having 10 layers of transparent polygons, not good on slow computers. Plus on top of this, all the surfaces will be reflecting back & forth, even worse! (If something is too transparent you won’t see it if it is too transparent, start with around max 80%)

So your holder, at the very least doesn’t need any transparent polys at the back, & the 3 remaining sides should become one object. The bottom of the holder, either leave it off or make it a neutral grey solid colour so that it blends in. If the camera it going to be looking at the bottom of the holder then in this situation you may need to have it transparent. At the moment if the camera just happens to line up all the polys, you have 10 transparent layers!

Reflection in you scene..... even a couple of, black, white or colours square polygons. As long as there is something to be reflected. A bit like your bathroom if there was no towel of no wall, & obviously no scenery outside, there would be nothing to see in the mirror.

If you haven’t read these tutorials, do so, I think it may give a good jump on things. Even if they are unrelated watch them all anyway.
http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77002

What I would do for this basic structure is..... Create a 6 sided Disc, Then select various polys & cut up with the Knife tool (Shift+K) (carefully cutting something up in the right order will make things really quick to then Multiply). Then select the required polys, & Multiply using the Smooth Shift (Shift+F) or Extrude (Shift+E)

Thanks for all that info! I played around with what you said about the disc and yeah that is easier, however I dont really understand about what you said next...so I just changed the original one around. Just gotta make the scene...

ninjajok
01-03-2010, 07:44 AM
Right, I have done four layout files all set up with the camera and lights ready to go, i did the render settings aswell, i think their ok...
Hope its ok, thanks again!

Cant wait till uni where I can learn how to do things properly:thumbsup:

littlewaves
01-03-2010, 07:51 AM
you need to attach all the object files also

ninjajok
01-03-2010, 08:14 AM
THank you

littlewaves
01-03-2010, 02:13 PM
here you go

png files of each image (I used the settings in the scene files - n adjustments)

took a while to render each one (around half an hour each on a 2.16 core 2 duo) but I was in and out today so just set a new one going every now and then.

ninjajok
01-03-2010, 02:28 PM
here you go

png files of each image (I used the settings in the scene files - n adjustments)

took a while to render each one (around half an hour each on a 2.16 core 2 duo) but I was in and out today so just set a new one going every now and then.

Thank you so much, they look great, im really shoddy at placing the lights arnt i haha, photoshop touch up is in order.
Really appreciate it!

JonW
01-03-2010, 02:39 PM
You haven’t named your layers in the objects....... “L7” then double click the name “[unnamed]” & name the Layer. Its critical that you name your layers. Lightwave is all about very good administration & house keeping (unfortunately it happens here as well as in the home!) & good file naming protocol is critical (name your lights, cameras etc as well). No gaps in file names either, get into a good habit from the start.

I have only rendered the fist image, even my old Mac 533mhz could render this in a couple of minutes. The scenes I have changed & are in the Zip.

Change camera to:
“Perspective Camera”
Antialiasing to “3”
Reconstruction filter to “Box”
Sampling Pattern to “Classic”
“Tick” Adaptive Sampling
Threshold “0.05”

Render Globals - Global Illum
Final Gather
“Tick” Interpolated
Minimum Pixel Spacing “1.0”

(some setting are just personal taste)

Just with these few changes your renders will be 100 times quicker (about 5 seconds on a W5580). For test renders put Antialiasing on “1”, Threshold on “0.1”, Minimum Pixel Spacing “4.0”, Multiplier on “50%”. Even rougher settings then this for testing a scene will be fine.

ninjajok
01-03-2010, 03:15 PM
You haven’t named your layers in the objects....... “L7” then double click the name “[unnamed]” & name the Layer. Its critical that you name your layers. Lightwave is all about very good administration & house keeping (unfortunately it happens here as well as in the home!) & good file naming protocol is critical (name your lights, cameras etc as well). No gaps in file names either, get into a good habit from the start.

I have only rendered the fist image, even my old Mac 533mhz could render this in a couple of minutes. The scenes I have changed & are in the Zip.

Change camera to:
“Perspective Camera”
Antialiasing to “3”
Reconstruction filter to “Box”
Sampling Pattern to “Classic”
“Tick” Adaptive Sampling
Threshold “0.05”

Render Globals - Global Illum
Final Gather
“Tick” Interpolated
Minimum Pixel Spacing “1.0”

(some setting are just personal taste)

Just with these few changes your renders will be 100 times quicker (about 5 seconds on a W5580). For test renders put Antialiasing on “1”, Threshold on “0.1”, Minimum Pixel Spacing “4.0”, Multiplier on “50%”. Even rougher settings then this for testing a scene will be fine.

I have to admit those settings worked fast:o cheers
I checked all the objects and i couldnt find any unnamed objects...

Anyway, thanks to all for the images and the help!

JonW
01-03-2010, 03:21 PM
You haven’t named the Layers in the Objects, an Object might only have 1 layer, but still name it!

Your “Figs” object has 4 Layers, so name each Layer.
Your “scene_kio” object has 2 Layers.

Andrewstopheles
01-03-2010, 03:22 PM
also useful to go to file/package scene and use this to export your scene when uploading - this will save you the headache of looking for the files - it just exports them all into on folder that you can zip and upload

JonW
01-03-2010, 03:42 PM
Typo, “F7” key opens the Layers window in Modeler.

Mr Rid
01-03-2010, 04:50 PM
My lighting suggestion.

Modifying the room surfaces and scene from JonW's last scene posted - 80753

JonW
01-03-2010, 06:08 PM
Using Mr Rid’s excellent settings, now with “Cache” on (Ticked), rendering out frames for a short fly through, about 2.7 seconds per frame.

Zip is scene & .mov fly through.

Mr Rid
01-03-2010, 07:33 PM
And there you have it. Strangers doing your job for ya. :D

OnlineRender
01-04-2010, 01:19 AM
i have over 10 million polyz / 5 scene files any takers ??? mwhahaahaha

ninjajok
01-04-2010, 03:14 AM
And there you have it. Strangers doing your job for ya. :D
haha yes, thank you
Mr Rid: that lighting looks a lot better :D
JonW: I now understand what you mean about naming LAYERS, just like photoshop. And that fly through looks amazing! I might have to learn how to do that at some point

Unfortunately the scenes wont load cus im using older version on layout! Ill have a play around with it when i get some time

Mr Rid
01-05-2010, 07:49 PM
Unfortunately the scenes wont load cus im using older version on layout!

An 'export 6.+' version.
Which version are you in? Will not render the same in older versions. The GI interpolation in pre-9 versions will be flickery frame to frame.

ninjajok
01-06-2010, 06:42 AM
An 'export 6.+' version.
Which version are you in? Will not render the same in older versions. The GI interpolation in pre-9 versions will be flickery frame to frame.

Im not sure what version it is actually, but it opened fine and its working a charm! Thanks