PDA

View Full Version : maya user... new to LW

fallacy_Inc
09-04-2003, 12:22 AM
well, i like some features in LW, i hate the fact that the modelor and lightwave are 2 different entities, i do like "viper" its kinda time saving. i do not like the layout at all, i do not feel like i have control over the interface or the API, it took me 3hrs to come up with a decent model, the modeling toolsets are like those found in old DCC programs in the early 90s (not that i did not like them)...but why MAYA is better, humm, where do i begin, i have so much control that i can even change the image logo that appears when its loading up, and the dynamics system... "i humble before its powers" and the open API and MEL scripting,

well, we were thinking about switching to LW (budget cuts), but after trying out a "demo" version (MAYA has a fuly working PLE version) of LW i think we will pass... :-(
and the shading networks,,,, argh, i think i have a headache..... LW = Good price <=> sub-par tool-set = bad work-flow.

the end ! cheers.:p :D

Aegis
09-04-2003, 03:45 AM
And your point is Jimmy? Seriously, why bother posting if all you have to say is "Maya is better" - do you think all the LightWave users here (many of whom switched from Maya or use both programs) are going to agree with you?

Dodgy
09-04-2003, 03:53 AM
What was the point in that? Sounds like he tried it for all of half an hour AFTER deciding he didn't like it.... It took me a lot longer to decide I don't like Maya as much as LW :)

tasmanian
09-04-2003, 06:00 AM
I had to change apps a number of times in my life and somehow never really liked the new one till I got used to it. I even remember when we changed from LW5.6 to LW7.0 I didn't like it at all, I would frequently go back to my old LW5.6 simply cos' there I knew where things were and how to do stuff, now I'm fully comfortable with LW7.5 and see no need to go back at all.
My point is that it's very unfair to compare your first experiences with a new app to whatever experience you have with what you're currently using. Now I'm sure there's some stuff LW users would agree could be improved but I could make an equally long list for needed improvements (IMHO) to Maya or Max.

fxnut
09-04-2003, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by fallacy_Inc
it took me 3hrs to come up with a decent model

Yeah? Well congratulations, I was still struggling with Maya a long time after that. You're proving exactly how good Lightwave's modelling tools really are!

(LW rulez :D )

mattclary
09-04-2003, 11:53 AM
Trolls.... Like we care.

Matt
09-05-2003, 03:14 AM
you pay your money you take your choice, each to their own!

Jean-Paul Lar.
09-05-2003, 01:35 PM
first post and hopfully last post all igots ta say. :mad:

angelomuscat
09-05-2003, 11:15 PM
Can any former or current Maya users give a comparison (pros/cons) of Maya to Lightwave?

WizCraker
09-06-2003, 09:36 AM
They both have their strength and weaknesses, there are some things that Lightwave is better at than Maya and vice versa. It would be unfair for both to put a label on the best as you could find yourself working with both to get a project completed in the time allocated because with both of their strengths it is like a match made in heaven. Maya is usually considered a Character based package as most of its strong feature set is in that area, however in recent releases they have improved [like dynamics soft, hard, fluid] and included features that Lightwave had for years. Maya also has an excelent scripting language [MEL], and the surfacing is very powerful. Lightwave is a well rounded package with a slight weakness in character animation and dynamics. Every major release updates the render and puts Lightwave at the top for the renderer, it also has the best modeler in the industry it is straight forward, easy to learn, and once mastered you will be able to build anything your imagination comes up with. With 8 around the corner from being released Lightwaves dynamics and character ability looks to be greatly improved.

If you can afford it I would say buy both, if not buy Lightwave as with every major release it gets better and there is usually a great deal like the DFX+ one that ends 15.Sep.03 and it has the best supportive community than any other.

Rory_L
09-07-2003, 11:51 PM
Even now I can`t say I`m bosom buddies with Maya, but at last after something like four years of confrontation and strife, I`m finally coming to appreciate its features. I had LW for four days and loved it from word go. The point? LW is easier to learn, but Maya has just about all you want somewhere or other in there...it just takes years to find it all :D

Fallacy be smart and give Lightwave another chance!

R

peteb
09-09-2003, 06:49 AM
From an artist point of view I have to say I hated Maya. We got it for use in some upcoming games we're were developing. I used it for about 4 months and some areas were good but for quick modeling of buildings it was pretty time consuming and even with loads of mel scripting it still seemed too time consuming. As an artist I want to work on the fly, to be able to just build things in a matter of seconds. Lightwave gives me this where as Maya didn't. Saying that this was Maya 3 so this could have all changed now.

Dodgy
09-09-2003, 09:38 AM
Not much has changed in that area in maya 4/4.5. Most of the improvements, such there were (maya users were not over impressed for the amount they pay to upgrade!) were in the higher end.