PDA

View Full Version : Multiple sliders - There has to be a better way!!

Paul_Boland
12-30-2009, 08:47 PM
Hi Folks.

I have a scene with a number of objects in it which have sliders attached to them for animation. No problem with the sliders, they work as I want them to, but the thing is they are starting to crowd the screen!

When I'm working on Object A, I don't really need, or want, to see the sliders that are releated to every other object in the scene. The only slider controls that interest me are the ones relating to the object I'm currently animating. Is there a way to hide those other sliders, only showing the sliders for the object that I am currently working with? Or is there a better way then using sliders? I'm working in Lightwave 8.5.

geothefaust
12-30-2009, 09:28 PM
I'm pretty sure you can do this in 8.5...

Set up a proxy picker for a null, that secondary null will have all of the sliders associated with it. Now, set up the dissolve of the secondary null to make it invisible. So now when you select the proxy null in your scene, it will actually select your secondary null which has all of the sliders on it... And since it's normally invisible, it will only be visible when selected.

:)

SplineGod
12-31-2009, 12:07 PM
What are you doing that requires so many sliders?
Theres also some o ther methods such as creating your own
slider interface using nulls etc.
Relativity also has sliders which can be moved out of layouts
viewports off to the side.

Paul_Boland
12-31-2009, 01:16 PM
I'm doing character animation. Thing is the characters are not one object but three floating objects; head and two hands; each of which has slider controls. There's only a few controls on each object; head has eyes, eyelids and mouth, and the hands have the fingers, but it means one character has three seperate slider controls and in a scene with ten characters.... EEK!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the tip on how to hide the sliders, will give it a go.

Kevbarnes
12-31-2009, 01:19 PM
Relativity also has sliders which can be moved out of layouts viewports off to the side.

I didn't know this - I'm checking it out now but can't see how to apply it?
the Rel_Sliderz panel wants a list?. launch slider panel nothing happens

is there a tutorial? i'm searching newtek movies now

Oh HAPPY NEW YEAR its 8:30pm now just got my first beer

Paul_Boland
12-31-2009, 01:41 PM
The proxy picker works great! It's a bit messy to set up (I had to get help from Google), but it works, sliders disappear when not selected. Fantastic!!

Would be nice to have the sliders do this by default, or an option in the Lightwave settings that a user can click on to make this happen.

Paul_Boland
12-31-2009, 02:02 PM
For anyone wanting to know how to do it, here's the 15 steps to a slider-clutter-free screen :)!!

Hide slider controls for an object when not needed:
1. Load the object into Layout.
2. Add two Nulls, SliderSelector and SliderNull.
3. Parent SliderNull to SliderSelector.
4. Parent SliderSelector to the object.
5. Move SliderSelector above the object and key it in place if you haven't autokey on.
6. Select SliderNull and user the Scene Editor to hide it.
7. Click on the Utilities tab and open Master Plugins.
8. Add ProxyPicker.
9. Set proxy object to SliderSelector and the target object to SliderNull.
10. Click Apply Label button.
11. Turn off ProxyPicker by ticking the tick next to it.
12. Select SliderSelector, open object Properties and double click itemshape plugin.
13. Change the label name to <<ITEM>>Sliders.
14. Reopen the Master Plugins panel and turn back on the ProxyPicker. If all went well, all attempts to select the SliderSelector should select the SliderNull instead.
15. With SliderNull selected, open the object Properties and add the Sliders plugin.
And that’s it!! Set up your sliders relating to the object and when done, if the object is selected, the sliders will hide. Click on <<ITEM>>Sliders above the object to see the sliders again.

As I said above, would be great if there was an option in Lightwave to make the sliders hide when not selected ;).

geothefaust
12-31-2009, 03:30 PM
Hey Paul, great instruction. :)

I was in the process of recording a video for you, but it looks like you're good to go!

Cageman
12-31-2009, 04:10 PM

I was in the process of recording a video for you, but it looks like you're good to go!

Record that video, and release it into the public instead. I think there are people who could benefit from your knowledge about this!

:)

Paul_Boland
12-31-2009, 07:41 PM

Thank, Geothefaust. I agree with the post above, make the video and release it, it's helpful to know.

To be fair, I can't take benefit for this. Based on the replies I got above I Googled it and found a tutorial which took me through it. It was for Lightwave 7.5 and I had to work around some menu differences but I got there. There's no way in hell I would have figured this out on my own!

geothefaust
01-01-2010, 03:50 AM
Ok, will do! It'll be a little later today. :)

Kevbarnes
01-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Relativity also has sliders which can be moved out of layouts viewports off to the side.

Has any one used the RELATIVITY SLIDERS ?
I was interested in using these but cant find any mention in the Relativity2 Documentation and its not exactly clear how to apply them.

evenflcw
01-01-2010, 09:33 PM
I just wrote a script to make the setup abit faster and perhaps also the workflow abit neater. For example:

Instead of hiding the objects it simply deactivates the slider-plugin, effectively hiding just the sliders, not the object.
It will show the slider if you have a child item selected aswell. So you can work on one of the bones and the slider on the mesh will still show. No need to specifically select the mesh. (Actually, it only shows the slider of the closest to the child. So if you parent a null to the hand bone and attach a slider to it, selecting a finger will show you only the hand slider).

If anyone has any suggestions of what it should do more or do differently, don't hesitate to make a request.

You'll find the script aswell as a quick demo video at the very bottom of my page (http://people.dsv.su.se/~dan-dulb/evenflow3d/index.php), ef Auto Slider Toggle (got a better name? tell me!).

geothefaust
01-02-2010, 03:31 AM
Hey Dan, very cool plugin man! That's awesome. I'll give it a run soon. :)

Here is that video I promised. Put it up on one of my Vimeo channels.

http://www.vimeo.com/8496657

It's still converting the video, it shouldn't be but another 15 minutes (from the timestamp on this post).

Paul_Boland
01-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Javis, the video is great. It actually looks a bit less then the 15 steps I outlined above, but great to have a visual representation of it in action.

Evenflcw, the script in great!!! Lightwave 9.31, I'm using 8.5 so I'll have to wait till I make the move, but this is great, this does exactly what Lightwave should do by default.

Thanks to you both.

geothefaust
01-04-2010, 12:17 AM
My pleasure. :)

And yeah, great script indeed!! I like it. Thanks much for it.