PDA

View Full Version : plagiarism

skarab
09-03-2003, 07:43 PM
hey dudes

I just have a simple little question.
I am extremely early in the process of making a mid length animated film. Obviously a single person cannot do this kind of project by themselves and so I will be applying for grants etc. to hire extra animators etc.

To apply for these grants I thought that maybe I should make a short to show that I have what it takes to get the project to completion. The story for the short is not particularly important, and so I remembered a book I had as a child and what a great idea it would be for the short film. I was wondering how legal it would be if I were to make a short with essentially the same story line as this book with just a few changes like different characters and setting and some other minor differences. I would not be using it commercially, but I would probably enter it into some contests and also use it in my application for some grants. Obviously I would also give the author full credit in the credits.

So if any one has some advice or links to legal information that would help me I would be highly appreciative.

oliver

hrgiger
09-03-2003, 10:07 PM
I'm no lawyer but it sounds like a lawsuit in the making to me. If you're giving the author credit for the story then that's pretty much saying you ripped it off. I think you're better off making significant changes, making it somewhat your own and putting a disclaimer in there saying any similarities to persons alive, dead or fictional is purely coincidental. But then again,as I said, I'm no lawyer so take that for what it's worth.
You could always try obtaining permission first from the author.

skarab
09-04-2003, 05:12 AM
thanks for the response hr
I thought I might be safe to do this considering the number of characters that are ripped off and modeled everyday by others. But although it's not for direct commercial gain, I guess that it would lead to commercial gain. I do have some other ideas for stories, I just thought using the story from the book would cut out a lot of time in developing those stories further. I suppose that's a bit lazy too.

thanks anyway

meshmaster
09-04-2003, 08:11 AM
I'll proabably turn to public domain stuff though... that way you know you are ok! :)