PDA

View Full Version : double vidcards to run Lightwave?

Marshun
12-29-2009, 11:27 AM
Anyone know whether or not lightwave will run through a doubled-up video card?

zapper1998
12-29-2009, 12:28 PM
I have dual GTX 260 and it runs layout and modeler fine..
But there is no difference between a single video card or dual video cards

Until LW or Core utilize Cuda, then there would be a massive difference..

hrgiger
12-29-2009, 06:06 PM
Lightwave has really never made great use of graphics cards and a mid-range card would give you just about as much as a high-end (from what I've heard- I've always used a mid-range like my GTX285 that I have now). I think CORE aims to change that.

Marshun
12-29-2009, 10:37 PM
That's good. It seems strange of a 3D program not utilizing anything GPU wise though. I mean "really".

My qfx 3500 is getting short on memory, especially when I'm rendering animations. At least I think it's the vidcard. I'll be getting a 64-bit in the very short-n-near future. Now I guess I'll need a different dongle. I'm glad I like computers :)

biliousfrog
12-30-2009, 04:21 AM
That's good. It seems strange of a 3D program not utilizing anything GPU wise though. I mean "really".

My qfx 3500 is getting short on memory, especially when I'm rendering animations. At least I think it's the vidcard. I'll be getting a 64-bit in the very short-n-near future. Now I guess I'll need a different dongle. I'm glad I like computers :)

The graphics card has absolutely no impact on rendering and the card's memory will only help with displaying textures in OpenGL viewports. I noticed a little improvement when upgrading from a QFX 1500 to a Geforce 9800 but it was minimal, Lightwave has quite modest graphics requirements so your current card should be fine. It sounds like you're reaching the limit of what 32bit can offer, switching to 64bit and plenty of RAM should help.

If you've got a USB dongle it should work with 64bit, you'll just need a 64bit licence key.

Marshun
12-30-2009, 08:26 AM
what

Marshun
12-30-2009, 08:35 AM
The graphics card has absolutely no impact on rendering and the card's memory will only help with displaying textures in OpenGL viewports. I noticed a little improvement when upgrading from a QFX 1500 to a Geforce 9800 but it was minimal, Lightwave has quite modest graphics requirements so your current card should be fine. It sounds like you're reaching the limit of what 32bit can offer, switching to 64bit and plenty of RAM should help.

If you've got a USB dongle it should work with 64bit, you'll just need a 64bit licence key.I hope that license key won't be another issue. That's one of the things I expected. Getting a supersonic vidcard can't do much for the rendered image anyway. But I'll be getting 24 GB of ram in this 64-bit setup. I'm gettin' antsy for this machine now. One other piece of hardware will be for a higher wattage power-source. 475 watts is too low for what I'm hoping for. Things I should've considered when I was ordering a machine for intensive 3D work, as what I told Dell. I need to pay better attention when ordering something like a computer. I have 700 watts of power inside my current machine now. And that GTS 240 can handle the extra load. Just barely enough though.

Lamont
01-03-2010, 01:32 AM
I've only noticed a difference in handling large textures.

JonW
01-03-2010, 05:28 AM
Roll your own or get a small computer shop to assemble the parts you want & save a bucket load.

http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100802