PDA

View Full Version : Texturing Help Please

Don Cassity
09-03-2003, 07:23 PM
Ok. Here is my delima. I want to texture my Earthworm Jim model. But I'm stuck:( I was just playing around with UV mapping to see what I could do. What I want is a larger texture on the top of his head. And a smaller texture on his face. And I trying to use the alpha maps to blend the two. Here is how it breaks down. The face and top of head are named "face", "top". I have made UV maps of each. I apply each fine. Where they meet there is a sharp separation. As I said I tried to use alpha maps to fad one into the other. I cant seem to get them to overlap. What the heck am I doing wrong......?

Later. Don

Weetos
09-04-2003, 05:25 AM
I once ran into the same problem and got it fixed by checking up my uvmaps. In my humble opinion, the thing is that you didn't paint the right polys of the top part. Could we see your uvmaps? looks like the grey part (background color?) is applied to some polygons and it shouldn't... if you have painted them

renatolazzaroni
09-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Ok, here is a naive question: Are you sure your maps overlap properly ? If your maps just butt against each other at a specific line of vertices, you will have a sharp transition from one texture to the other, and using an alpha won't change anything.
Make sure that your "top" and "face" maps overlap on several rows of points. Apply your textures without alpha, and you will see that the texture on top simply hides the texture below in the "overlap zone". Blend/feather the top texture into the texture below using its alpha . That should do the trick.

Renato

Don Cassity
09-04-2003, 07:25 AM
Weetos. The image is to show how the alpha didn't work. Instead of grey polys showing through, it should be the other UV map.

renatolazzaroni.....you could use a few more letters in your name:) I'll see if I can get them to overlap. But I'm not sure I can do it with the way I set things up. I have one UV on the top part of his head. And the other on his face. Each part is name differently. And each map only want to go no farther than it's assigned selection. Let me go back and give your idea a try. Will let you know.

Thanks. Don

renatolazzaroni
09-05-2003, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by Don Cassity
And each map only want to go no farther than it's assigned selection.

I am not sure I understand your answer. A UV map "covers" the vertices you want it to cover. You set its boundaries, no ? And a vertex can be "covered" (AFAIK) by any number of UV maps, in other words by any number of textures and alpha, each with their own UV map. So you can overlap your maps freely.

Originally posted by Don Cassity

renatolazzaroni.....you could use a few more letters in your name:)

Well, believe it or not, but I got that name from my parents (first name and last name, isn't that incredible ?), and I got quite used to it. As I am not exactly into those fancy aliases like "Cyberninja666", "neo-TX", or "el-supremo-3D", I think I'll stick to the genuine article... But you can call me Renato ;)

Renato