PDA

View Full Version : nvidia quadro fx vs dual nvidia 9800

octopus2000
12-28-2009, 02:48 PM
does an nvidia 1 GB quadrofx 3800 workstation card offer a significant advantage to a dual nvidia 1 GB 9800 set up?

has anyone experience working with both?

IMI
12-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Not knowing anything about the Quadro in question, but if it's at least slightly more powerful than one 9800, the answer would be yes, because you can't run a windowed app (such as LightWave) with two video cards.
As far as I know, SLI only works for games, so in the case where you have a dual video card setup in SLI or Crossfire, your apps using the GPU would only be able to use one video card.
A 3D program would have to be coded specifically to use more than one GPU, and none of them can right now - at least not anything currently commercially available, AFAIK.

Andyjaggy
12-28-2009, 04:14 PM
An SLI setup will do squat for you in any 3D program.

oobievision
12-28-2009, 07:41 PM
actually I use the 9800 in SLI mode and I get double the polygons in my viewports as opposed to just one.

Marshun
12-29-2009, 12:36 AM
Not knowing anything about the Quadro in question, but if it's at least slightly more powerful than one 9800, the answer would be yes, because you can't run a windowed app (such as LightWave) with two video cards.
As far as I know, SLI only works for games, so in the case where you have a dual video card setup in SLI or Crossfire, your apps using the GPU would only be able to use one video card.
A 3D program would have to be coded specifically to use more than one GPU, and none of them can right now - at least not anything currently commercially available, AFAIK.

Man, I think I'm glad you said that dual-card setups won't work for lightwave and/or most any *windows softwares. Seems kinda extreme but I won't argue. I just ordered a new computer and I wanted to get a QFX 5800(which I believe is a dual-card setup) but Dell won't build for most anything than what they already offer for computer builds (I don't understand that one but hey). Instead I'll be getting an Intel Core i7-975
proc on the MB and a single GeForce GTS 240 vidcard. Boy would my face be red if I messed up that badly.

I guess if we're comparing cards, I'd wonder about the advantage of getting the GeForce GTS 240 compared to the QFX 5800. The first costs about a hundred, or so, dollars whereas the 2nd is around $3000. I'm going to confer with Dell before they get too far with this monster. I'm still wondering about the price-differential of $100 vs $3000. I'm having trouble trying to ignore the disparity between those two cards ... but if worse comes to worser I'll have to settle for the cheaper card. Something isn't adding up for me to feel comfortable. So I really don't know.

Mr Rid
12-29-2009, 02:56 AM
I guess if we're comparing cards, I'd wonder about the advantage of getting the GeForce GTS 240 compared to the QFX 5800. The first costs about a hundred, or so, dollars whereas the 2nd is around $3000...

I dont know why compare those two models where there are huge differences- the 5800 has 3 more GB of memory, 4x bit memory, twice the bandwidth, and takes up a lot more juice. Whatever you get, make sure you have overkill cooling.

IMI
12-30-2009, 05:57 AM
actually I use the 9800 in SLI mode and I get double the polygons in my viewports as opposed to just one.

What do you mean? How did you manage that when LW can make use of only one of those video cards?

Marshun
12-30-2009, 07:36 AM
I dont know why compare those two models where there are huge differences- the 5800 has 3 more GB of memory, 4x bit memory, twice the bandwidth, and takes up a lot more juice. Whatever you get, make sure you have overkill cooling. Yeah, I know that sounds strange to bring up for comparison such diverse cards but that's what I'd been forced to consider. I like the super cooler comment: 3 tons of liquid nitrogen please thank you. Frankly I'm wondering if there's a coolant that's better than water but what the hey. I'd love to just encase my computer inside an air-conditioned dryer box but I guess not. I like dreaming though. What it looks like I'll be getting is the installed GTS 240 and an extra (quadro fx 1800) card of which I can stick in when I feel up to it. Which won't be too long. I'll be getting the extra card before anything else even get's delivered. Last time I looked both are CUDA-enabled. I'll have to double-check on that though. Dell is only offering the GTS 240 as their best available. I guess they'll only trust in what they've tested for themselves. All those extra computer configurations could get messy. I'd love to put my own machine together but I'll just sleep on that for awhile :)

& thank you IMI for your clarification regarding the doubled vid cards.

oobievision
12-30-2009, 09:23 AM
What do you mean? How did you manage that when LW can make use of only one of those video cards?

it just seems to work that way, when I have it to just one I cant view as many polys as when I have SLI enabled. and Lightwave seems sluggish on just one card. I play games on this machine as well and have allot of utilities that help with games that are DirectX 9 to get higher frame rates using both cards since directx 9 games arent SLI enabled. perhaps one of those could be helping with lightwave.