12-28-2009, 09:33 AM
Day of the triffids bbc remake..on tonight [uk]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B9xPcdI__8&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ_W9b9E0DA&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FtGLdBtwzI&feature=player_embedded

bbc page

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00plcl4

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/images/episode/b00plzxf_512_288.jpg

now..it'll either be fantastic or if it sticks to recent outings..lame as hot icecream....ie> quarermass from the bbc

the CG fx look good and eddie izzard in the cast should help it to be 'good' not poop...

aurora
12-28-2009, 10:53 AM
Going to have to dl and watch that. When I was a kid it was a great movie to watch to cheer you up as it was so bad. A classic B-Rated Sci-Fi flick! I just hope its as cheesey as the original and not a serious remake, that would suck for me.

biliousfrog
12-28-2009, 03:10 PM
I managed about 20 minutes before turning over to watch the 'not the nine o'clock news' documentary. I thought it looked and sounded promising but it had that typical BBC sci-fi look and feel which I found really difficult to watch. It's the same reason why I can't watch Dr Who, it promises a lot but it's like asking for a transformer for xmas and unwrapping a cheap chinese knock-off (that's opened an old wound :( ).

cresshead
12-28-2009, 03:14 PM
I managed about 20 minutes before turning over to watch the 'not the nine o'clock news' documentary. I thought it looked and sounded promising but it had that typical BBC sci-fi look and feel which I found really difficult to watch. It's the same reason why I can't watch Dr Who, it promises a lot but it's like asking for a transformer for xmas and unwrapping a cheap chinese knock-off (that's opened an old wound :( ).

i'll wait for it on iplayer so i can jump thru it on fast wind if i need to.

tonymax99
12-28-2009, 04:19 PM
but it had that typical BBC sci-fi look and feel which I found really difficult to watch. It's the same reason why I can't watch Dr Who, it promises a lot but it's like asking for a transformer for xmas and unwrapping a cheap chinese knock-off (that's opened an old wound :( ).

hi, have to agree, why is it that things filmed in the UK never seem to have the same cinematography as say the US... do we use different video, film... what is it that makes a good story look so crap.

and the music doesnt do anything to enhance the experience ether...

OnlineRender
12-28-2009, 04:29 PM
hi, have to agree, why is it that things filmed in the UK never seem to have the same cinematography as say the US... do we use different video, film... what is it that makes a good story look so crap.

and the music doesnt do anything to enhance the experience ether...

Different Frame Rate helps factor to that question
Also most stuff in the US is shot with a different rez & FPS !
you just open a big can of worms asking that question .

EXPERTS PROCCED ...............................

cresshead
12-28-2009, 05:21 PM
it's thee beeb....as sir patrick moore commented a while back.."ever since women got involved in running the bbc, the output from many shows has been simply awful"

i don't think 25fps has much to do with it....

triffid ep 01 was okay..upto a 'ish' output for 2009 at the beeb..certainly better than that of the recent bbc quatermass mess.
not as good as the film or the 80's bbc effort i have on dvd mind you.

Matt
12-28-2009, 09:33 PM
Caught some of it, looked average, I agree with the Dr. Who comment, there is something about BBC scifi that just doesn't cut it for me, always looks a little amateur.

I think pacing has a lot to do with it too, they seem to drag out any scenes where they spent some money, almost as if they need to get their moneys worth and justify the license fee!

Chris S. (Fez)
12-29-2009, 03:24 AM
"Fringe" is a decent weekly show with phenomenal cinematography.

Because viewers can recognize a BBC production at a glance, I think that familiar flat lighting has become a form of BBC branding.

I did not like the Doctor Who Christmas episode. Weak send off for David T so far...hopefully part 2 will pick up the pace.

meshpig
12-29-2009, 04:00 AM
Better as a book, as an 8 year old though Chocky was by far more scary too.

Sarford
12-29-2009, 05:50 AM
Because viewers can recognize a BBC production at a glance, I think that familiar flat lighting has become a form of BBC branding.

I think you are right, BBC productions mostly scream 'bland studio lighting' to the viewer, ruining the cinematographic experience.

OnlineRender
12-29-2009, 05:59 AM
I have a client that I work for during the Edinburgh Fringe !
Fox Network ,send out 3 new brand spanking top of the range cameras for us to use .
It works out cheaper for them to send the equipment over to us and employee us rather than sending out there own people .
we get 1 week to mess about with the cameras before we shoot ! as I thank you they let us keep one and we post the rest back , its crazy !
But I asked we dont we use our own cameras , and there quote " THEY SUCK" .
I think it makes it easier for there editing team to work in NTSC although the new camera can shoot in just about any mode ! "there wicked "
Highlight of my year !

cresshead
12-29-2009, 01:06 PM
I think you are right, BBC productions mostly scream 'bland studio lighting' to the viewer, ruining the cinematographic experience.

i'm guessing most of the crew work on game shows, reality shows, westbenders and lite entertainment....

so when camera, lighting and directors go to make a syfy [sic] drama it looks flat.

shrox
12-29-2009, 01:41 PM

Telemundo and Univision from Mexico are like that too. Plus their programming is just plain bizarre...

Mike_RB
12-29-2009, 02:03 PM
It's the fact that all TV people in the UK were trained on 4 decades of Coronation Street.

warrenwc
12-29-2009, 02:11 PM
I liked the original movie & the book was even better.
Why has no one taken on "The Kraken Wakes"?

Matt
12-29-2009, 05:36 PM
It reminds me of the time I saw a movie at my friends house on his new 100MHz TV, it just looked wrong, too sharp, felt like TV and not "movie". Hollywood movies have a certain feel to them, and I like it.

OnlineRender
12-29-2009, 05:44 PM
they used to shoot FRIENDS with movie cameras " that why it has that kinda feel " .
but when you play it back on PAL " and yes UK thought it was easier then NEVER THE SAME COLOR . the Audio is played back at a higher frame rate which is why monica sound sqeeky .........

:D

JBT27
12-30-2009, 04:11 AM
I liked the original movie & the book was even better.
Why has no one taken on "The Kraken Wakes"?

It's been done by the BBC as a radio play - normally those are very good, but 'The Kraken Wakes' was a dreadful, droning bore-fest. I haven't read it in years, but recall it's in the form of a conversation, sort of, between a couple recalling the events ..... that's how the radio play was done, and it just failed completely.

We were wondering last night, watching the second part of Triffids, why Kraken has never been done, nor a remake of 'The Midwich Cuckoos', or 'Chocky', 'The Chrysalids', etc., when quite a few don't require monsters.

The new Triffids from the BBC wasn't all that bad - quite watchable in fact, given the usual BBC formulaic approach to such things. Lighting aside, and the black levels being different on that greenscreen shot from the balcony overlooking London (just nit-picking :D). Of course, if it had been a genuinely apocalyptic tale, the family would have been murdered in the end and the warlord heading back to his patch in London. But you are never likely to see that in a popular show.

Nothing wrong with the John Wyndham story, and arguably nothing seriously wrong with the remake either ..... such is TV. Watchable but ultimately quite bland and failing to challenge, as with Dr Who, Merlin and I guess any number of others.

But still, I enjoyed the new Triffids, and I like the book, alot ..... I also greatly enjoyed 'The Night of the Triffids' the sequel by Simon Clark, and indeed 'The Time Ships', Stephen Baxter's intelligent sequel to the Wells classic.

I could take or leave films of either, if and when, but great reads for sure, imo, as ever :)

Julian.

Ernest
12-30-2009, 07:21 AM
On the other hand, if you check the imdb quotes page for each Dr. Who episode, almost every single line of the entire script is there. And every one of those lines rightfully deserves to be there (almost). There are very few series from any other country that take such care of every line of dialogue. You can even use the memorable quotes page as subtitles, if you don't speak British!

There are also certain channels that transmit with flattened colors. I remember seeing movies in Hallmark channel that looked clear but with cinematography that looked like TV from the late 70s, but when watching the same movie in Cinemax, it looked gorgeous.

Telemundo and Univision from Mexico are like that too.

Telemundo and Univision are not Mexican. They are American networks. They transmit a lot of content from the Mexican giants Televisa and Azteca, though.

they used to shoot FRIENDS with movie cameras " that why it has that kinda feel "

Yes, I remember that Buffy started in 16mm and the latter seasons were actually filmed in 35mm.

toby
12-30-2009, 06:05 PM
A Triffids remake does sound cool... as long as they leave out the sappy ending... "another reason to give thanks..." Eh? Thanks for the Triffids??

Can I find it online somewhere -

KurtF
12-31-2009, 05:51 PM
nor a remake of 'The Midwich Cuckoos'

That one did get a remake. John Carpenter's Village of the Damned, with Christopher Reeves.

I have a soft spot for anything by Author Colin Wilson -'Space Vampires' - aka 'Lifeforce', and 'Mind Parasites' which will probably never be turned into a film, too cerebral.

aurora
12-31-2009, 06:05 PM
That one did get a remake. John Carpenter's Village of the Damned, with Christopher Reeves.

I have a soft spot for anything by Author Colin Wilson -'Space Vampires' - aka 'Lifeforce', and 'Mind Parasites' which will probably never be turned into a film, too cerebral.

Ahhhh, 'Lifeforce' now that was a good movie back in its day. Would not mind a decent remake of that by a decent director.

toby
12-31-2009, 06:23 PM
Ahhhh, 'Lifeforce' now that was a good movie back in its day. Would not mind a decent remake of that by a decent director.
:i_agree:
as long as they still use a super-hot female vampire :heart:

and wasn't Village of the damned a remake of a movie of the same name?

cresshead
12-31-2009, 06:35 PM
in the end it turned out 'meh'
wasn't awful but wasn't great..not by a long shot.