PDA

View Full Version : Help. ScreamerNet with PC and Mac

renderingfarmer
09-03-2003, 06:14 PM
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, and I'm also sorry because I couldn't think of a clever title using "scream" and the inherent difficulties between macs and pcs. Anyhow, here I go:
I have a OSX apple I use as my Lightwave machine. I also have a PC I'd like to set up as a render slave. Now as far as I know I have my apple set up just fine after following the instructions that came with the ScreamerNet controller from http://www.catalystproductions.cc/screamernet/
I got as far as setting up the LWSN.bat file on my PC (which has XP by the way, if that's important) but it doesn't execute properly from then on.
I believe the Windows command line is supposed to read

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop>C:\lightwave\programs\lwsn -2 -cL:\config -dF:\ job2 ack2
LightWave x86 ScreamerNet Module (Build 571)
CPU number: 3

Current directory is now "L:\".

Can't open job file "job2".

yet I get

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop>C:\lightwave\programs\lwsn -2 -cL:\config -dF:\ job2 ack2
LightWave x86 ScreamerNet Module (Build 571)
CPU number: 0

Current directory is now "C:\LightWave".

Can't open job file "cL\confic".

So the content directory isn't right and it can't find the job file. It's real frustrating; I've spent a few hours now trying different things out, looking for the possible typo, etc. I thought maybe one of you Lightwave Gurus could offer some advice.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

PS: I have indeed mapped my Lightwave content directory to L:

BeeVee
09-04-2003, 02:57 AM
Aside from your setup difficulties, I would say that you shouldn't mix and match your render machines - stick with one processor for all the machines in the farm. If you are just going to model, texture, scene set and so on on the Mac and then use the PC to render, that's fine, but don't use both at once for rendering.

The reason is that different processor types (PowerPC, Intel, AMD) will give slightly different results for the same frame resulting in particles being in different places, colours and lighting being ever-so slightly different and calculated motions being different too.

B

renderingfarmer
09-04-2003, 09:22 AM
Jee, I hadn't eventhought of that. Hmm okay.