PDA

View Full Version : How can I combine an Image Seq. & Alpha Img. Seq. inside Final Cut Pro?

B_Free
12-27-2009, 05:16 PM
Hi Everyone! :)

I have an animation that I want to composite over another movie in Final Cut Pro. The animation was rendered in LW, and when I rendered it I saved it as 2 image sequences. One was an RGB Image Sequence (saved as jpg's), and the other was an Alpha Channel Image Sequence (saved as bmps).

I then used Quicktime-Pro to compile each sequence into its own movie. So now I have 2 movies of my animation. The first movie is the RGB images, and the second movie is the Alpha Channel Images.

Example Image from RGB Image Sequence:

Example Image from Alpha Image Sequence:

Here's my question: how can I get Final Cut Pro (or possibly Quicktime Pro) to use my Alpha-Channel-movie as an Alpha Channel for my RGB movie? Thus allowing me to composite this animation over something else. :confused:

Note: From the other threads I've read, what I should do in the future is render my animations as only 1 image sequence, and save each image as either a "LW_PNG32" or "LW_TGA32" so that the Alpha channel is already incorporated into each image (and so my images aren't lossy).

medicalart
01-15-2010, 06:24 PM
Try the Effects Window--> Matte effect--> image mask. Then in your filter tabs, change the channel to alpha, and drag your alpha sequence into the mask area. You may have to use Quicktime Pro to change each of your image sequences to movies.

I'm not sure it will work, since I haven't touched FCP in quite a while. But FYI,
in case you don't already know, if you're near an Apple store you can get 52 one-hour sessions for $99 with their One-to-One program. A Final Cut Pro expert can answer your questions in person.