PDA

View Full Version : How can I deform an object with fine control?

OcatilloPicture
12-27-2009, 12:33 PM
I am working with LW 8.0

I am trying to fit a purchased model of a human respiratory system into a human figure model that I exported from Poser. I've done most of the fiddly bits to get the organs to align where they belong. However, the last thing that I have to do is to deform the trachea and the esophagus to attach to the back of the throat.

Here is the problem, because the models are organic, I need to twist and bend them along arbitrary axis with very fine control. None of the transform tools in Modeler seem to have fine enough control to do what I want to do. Using "Rotate on Arbitrary Axis" would be a great place to start, but it doesn’t have "Fall-off" controls. So,

1) Can anybody suggest a way to invoke a very fine control of any of deformation tools?
2) Any suggestions as to the best tool(s) to use to twist and bend the upper part of (what is essentially) a couple of cylinders to align with an existing attachment point?
3) I tried using Bones initially, but without the desired results. I may try this again but if I do manage to deform the model as I like, CAN I EXPORT THE POSITION CREATED BY BONES INTO THE PERMANENT GEOMETRY OF THE MODEL?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Terry

Sensei
12-27-2009, 12:47 PM
CAN I EXPORT THE POSITION CREATED BY BONES INTO THE PERMANENT GEOMETRY OF THE MODEL?

Yes, you can. You have to use File > Save > Save Trans Object..