PDA

View Full Version : is thair....

oliversimonnet
12-24-2009, 09:00 AM
hello all.
iv bin using Lightwave for 3 years now on a PC.
i am planing on getting a mac.
can anyone tell me if it will change anything using a mac instead of a PC.
will it be harder or easer on a mac.

thank you in advance

-oliver

Kuzey
12-24-2009, 12:38 PM
At the moment the Mac/PC versions aren't the same but that should change once we get the Cocoa version...hopefully it'll be rock solid.

Beside that, the lack of third party plugins might be a problem. But the good thing is, you can install the PC version on an XP/Vista/Win7 partition if you get an Intel Mac.

Kuzey

toby
12-25-2009, 03:54 AM
Memory management is better on the Mac but there's fewer plugins available for it.

archijam
12-25-2009, 05:11 AM
If you describe what your key plugins are, we can tell you if you're missing anything.

For me it's pretty much the same, a few UV tools are missing. I use mac almost exclusively these days ..

rsfd
12-25-2009, 08:46 AM
The plugin question is definitely the most important part: you have to know on which plugins you have to rely on, and then see if Mac versions are available or if you can use other tools to get your wanted result.

Lscript system on Mac unfortunately also has some issues, making e.g. Janus (multi-pass rendering system) unavailable for Mac at this time and actually breaks sIBL in OB.

Also, Mac versions usually take longer until they get published. Although, (veeery rarely) we get some plugins exclusively for Mac.

SplineGod
12-25-2009, 04:11 PM
You can use the same dongle on the PC or Mac if you need to go back and forth. I would use LW on the PC but use the Mac for what it does best.