PDA

View Full Version : Triplanetary! (E E Doc Smith / Chris Foss)

starbase1
12-24-2009, 06:00 AM
An attempt at a Chris Foss style illustration for the old E E Doc Smith 'Lensman' series!

I'm not 100% happy with the beams...

Nangleator
12-24-2009, 07:01 AM
Great ravening rays of such utterly irresistible destructive force within which no material, however hardened or armored, could exist for a moment!

Surely, that cold, grey, unfeeling monster known to us only as Roger must start to develop an intense fear deep within him!!!

Awesome job and concept!

Nangleator
12-24-2009, 07:27 AM
Oh, I googled Chris Foss and I have some suggestions!

First, download a garish nebula picture from NASA. Maybe a few, and layer them together in PS. Maybe even apply an artistic filter to make it look more like a painting.

Second, that ship needs some bloom. When I want bloom, I usually do it in PS, for the greater control I have. Steps:

1. Duplicate the layer.
2. Crank the heck out of brightness and contrast until you've got only the brightest parts of the image as bright and the rest as near black.
3. Set that layer to Screen.
4. Experiment now with different amounts of Gaussian blur and layer transparency.

starbase1
12-24-2009, 07:51 AM
Great ravening rays of such utterly irresistible destructive force within which no material, however hardened or armored, could exist for a moment!

Surely, that cold, grey, unfeeling monster known to us only as Roger must start to develop an intense fear deep within him!!!

Awesome job and concept!

I'm sorry, I can only give you 9/10 for that comment, as you failled to use the obligatory adjective "prodigious"!

Nangleator
12-24-2009, 08:09 AM
Heh. At least I didn't inflict a 'love' scene on you.

starbase1
12-24-2009, 11:07 AM
Heh. At least I didn't inflict a 'love' scene on you.

It's true - he did rather make Isaac Asimov look like Barbera Cartland...

Anyway, this was very much an exercise in learning, thanks for the suggestions, but I think I am finished with this piece. I might try again soon though - one of the things I learnt was that a sphere is a bad shape for Fossiness!

bobakabob
12-24-2009, 11:27 AM
Nice work. Can we see more renders from different angles? How did you make the beams?

starbase1
12-24-2009, 03:45 PM
Nice work. Can we see more renders from different angles? How did you make the beams?

The beams are simple red tubes with aditive transparency and luminosity, plus a bit of glow...

Here's a couple of renders of the ship on its own...

starbase1
12-24-2009, 03:48 PM
And while I am at it, here's the Chris Foss version of the cover - not a good match to the book...