PDA

View Full Version : Data Backup Options?

JGary
12-24-2009, 12:11 AM
I'm currently keeping all data on a dual 500gb external USB drive with Raid 1. For a backup, I periodically copy everything over to another 500gb drive that I store off-site. This system works but gets a bit tedious and I still get nervous about losing all my data.

Curious what others are doing for backups? Are the online backup sites like carbonite worth using? I have done some research on NAS servers that use ethernet but it's hard to find any good reviews. Anyone using something they would recommend?

cresshead
12-24-2009, 06:01 AM
i use a 1terrabyte usb/ethernet nas drive...as well as a few usb drives...yeah it's abit tedious to copy stuff but not as tedious as to do all the work again!

also have a couple of cloud drives up here for stuff too.
http://www.humyo.com/HOME

Cageman
12-24-2009, 09:23 AM
I have a couple of NAS-drives (1.5TB in total) as well as 2*1TB USB-drives that is used for storage/backup. I also have a fileserver that I work towards since I do have a small rendergarden here at home. :) Since my backup/storage drives are online 24/7, I have a really neat tool called Synkron to automate backups and it's free.

:)

ted
12-24-2009, 09:30 AM
I recently found these Iosafe drives up to 2TB. These are the only ones I recomend for our clients.
Have you guys read all the crappy reviews on every brand of external drive now days?
I don't think you could buy safer protection. 1,500 degrees for 1/2 hour, water proof to 10 feet for 3 days. Plus it comes with a no questions asked data recovery insurance. About as safe as you can get. And I've never heard of one failure... as of yet. :D

I haven't read any bad reviews other than it's a little noisy for a couple people and a couple complained about the weight, (due to the fire/water protection no doubt). But if it's about security, I don't care about that.
Give them a look.

https://iosafe.com/solo-rugged-external-hard-drive

SBowie
12-24-2009, 09:34 AM
As far as software goes, I've been using SyncToy for some time. It has made my life a lot easier, being both flexible, fast and my favorite price - free.

Tobian
12-24-2009, 09:58 AM
I use a USB drive as a backup and the free tool http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp Replicator...

It's a really simple way to do a backup.. You can set it to copy from folder A to folder B as you chose, and it does a compare of all files and only copies over updated one's. Doing a manual backup is a pain, but with this I find it pretty easy! :)

JeffrySG
12-24-2009, 10:07 PM
I use Amazon S3 with JungleDisk as a front end to it. Cheap fast simple. I love it.

ken_g9
12-25-2009, 12:10 AM
I use an e-SATA external drive + 1TB NAS drive. Backing up may be tedious, but well worth it. :D

UnCommonGrafx
12-25-2009, 08:33 AM
There is no option for the tedium this involves. Anyone that does backups is to be applauded. ;)

Sata-Drive Toaster and any sized sata. Copy tools in windows.

Edit:
I have the singular; this is a link to a search for the duals:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=opera&rls=en&hs=zhC&q=Vantec+nexstar+dual&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g2

UnCommonGrafx
12-25-2009, 08:37 AM
Ted,
That ioSafe looks awfully cool.

ken_g9
12-25-2009, 08:54 AM
That Vantec is something I've been eying for a long time. A hard drive dock may be useful for the spare hard drives thats scattered around. :)

How is the dock? Any issues with it?

UnCommonGrafx
12-25-2009, 09:12 AM
It just works.
Fits in a a camera bag, with hds, so can be an adjunct when I travel with my VT. Looks pretty cool in a starbucks, too.
lol

SBowie
12-26-2009, 09:23 AM
There is no option for the tedium this involves.I used to make manual backups too, far too infrequently. SyncToy reduced this to opening the UI and a single click, and the process takes a fraction of the time. I can't believe I overlooked something so simple and free for so long (thanks Richard Bartlett for pointing it out).

JGary
12-28-2009, 07:30 PM
Lots of great options here. Thanks! Time to do some research.