PDA

View Full Version : Just one more congratulation for those involved with D9

IgnusFast
12-22-2009, 09:12 PM
Glad they moved up the DVD release date for District 9 - I'd been anxiously awaiting the Bluray release. Just amazing!! I'm still amazed at how good the effects are, even in 1080p. Everything looks amazing, though I have to give special props for the aliens and combat mech.

Anyway, congratulations to those who had a part in making it; I hope you're proud!!! Thanks for helping create such a fantastic film.

Matt
12-23-2009, 07:27 AM
Agreed, one of the best films of 2009 for me, saw it three times in the cinema with different friends because I wanted to see their reaction to it, they all loved it.

Mike_RB
12-23-2009, 07:36 AM
Haven't seen the blu-ray yet but apparently it's one of the best film>blur-ray transfers around and the effects actually look better (read a couple reviews). So thats cool. Since it's Sony who produced the film it makes sense that they would make a sweet blu-ray.

Looking forward to getting it in my stocking.

Glad you guys enjoyed it.

IgnusFast
12-23-2009, 11:46 AM
Well, one other thing that often gets overlooked it the sound - whomever did the sound should also get HUGE props. Some of the weapon sounds were just incredible (especially the gun that Wikus jacks the Nigerians with - the counter-rotating energy disks in the barrel with the snapping sound effect were AMAZING), and all together it really helps the film jell. I hate to say it - I absolutely loved the new Trek movie - but the sound was much better/more subtle in D9.

Snosrap
12-23-2009, 11:43 PM
Just got the Blue-ray tonight. It was amazing the first time in theaters, but I think it was better the second time around on Blue-ray. I can't believe that was the first time acting for Wickus, he did a great job, not to mention Neil.

Mike_RB
12-28-2009, 07:24 AM
Watched the Blu-ray over the holidays. Beautiful transfer. Looks great!

biliousfrog
12-28-2009, 03:41 PM
I finally watched it this evening and was really disappointed with it. I was absolutely blown away by Alive in Joburg all those years ago and have been excited about seeing D9 ever since hearing that it was being made...which I guess is a sure-fire way of ensuring disappointment but I've heard so many great reviews so my expectations didn't drop.

My biggest gripe with the film is the main actor. He is probably the most irritating lead I've ever seen and the introduction part of the film was almost unbearable at times. I felt like I was watching an episode of The Office or Flight of the Conchords. After the transformation is revealed he became much more convincing but I had already lost confidence in it and I didn't start to enjoy it until almost half-way through.

I thought that the compositing of the prawns was very reminiscent of the bugs in Starship Troopers. They were very well done but didn't sit comfortably within the scene at times. The mothership, smaller ship and mech were very good though.

I found the shoe-horned, D10, sequal lined-up ending too obvious.

It wasn't the great, grown-breaking film I'd come to expect. It was refreshing to see something original and thought provoking and sci-fi that didn't revolve around New York or Washington though. Personally, it didn't match the impact of the original short but I'm pleased that Blomkamp got the chance to make it and I've got high hopes for the obvious sequal and his next offering.

OnlineRender
12-28-2009, 04:42 PM
I finally watched it this evening and was really disappointed with it. I was absolutely blown away by Alive in Joburg all those years ago and have been excited about seeing D9 ever since hearing that it was being made...which I guess is a sure-fire way of ensuring disappointment but I've heard so many great reviews so my expectations didn't drop.

My biggest gripe with the film is the main actor. He is probably the most irritating lead I've ever seen and the introduction part of the film was almost unbearable at times. I felt like I was watching an episode of The Office or Flight of the Conchords. After the transformation is revealed he became much more convincing but I had already lost confidence in it and I didn't start to enjoy it until almost half-way through.

I thought that the compositing of the prawns was very reminiscent of the bugs in Starship Troopers. They were very well done but didn't sit comfortably within the scene at times. The mothership, smaller ship and mech were very good though.

I found the shoe-horned, D10, sequal lined-up ending too obvious.

It wasn't the great, grown-breaking film I'd come to expect. It was refreshing to see something original and thought provoking and sci-fi that didn't revolve around New York or Washington though. Personally, it didn't match the impact of the original short but I'm pleased that Blomkamp got the chance to make it and I've got high hopes for the obvious sequal and his next offering.

you taking over Jins Role now :rock: LOL