PDA

View Full Version : multi-object multi-key copying

Archigram
09-03-2003, 11:43 AM
Newbie question:

I have a scene with 100+ objects all keyframed nicely. Now I want to copy the whole shebang at a later time. The Graph Editor allows copying of keyframes on one curve at a time and I have hundreds. Is there a simple (ha ha) way to copy a whole time slice of objects and keys and paste it later on the timeline? (I would have thought this sort of operation would be found in the Scene Editor.) Maybe some plug-in I haven't found yet? Something obvious right under my nose?

Thanks for your tips.

brodyehd

sannyasi
09-07-2003, 02:24 PM
If all you want to do is shift the time of the objects you can “shift the keys of selected” objects in the scene editor.
If you want to copy the keyframes select all the objects you want to affect.
Open the graph editor and hit Shift + G, that will load all the channels of all selected objects into the bin.
Fit the view to all your frames ("a" key), select the top curve in the bin and shift select the curve at the bottom of the list,
Select all the frames in the range you want to copy, and with the move tool in the editor, go to the beginning of where you’d like to copy to and hit Ctrl + RMB (in a blank region not over a curve)
Hope that answers your question.

Noclar7
09-07-2003, 02:29 PM
another method you might want to look into is using motion mixer.
You can select all your objects, create an actor with them, record there frames as a motion, then shift , scale, blend,mix,etc.. in the motion mixer timeline.

Archigram
09-09-2003, 02:00 PM
Many many thanks sannyasi for your generously detailed reply. I don't know why I hadn't been able to figure how to copy multiples--perhaps it isn't so well documented in the manual--but thanks to you I'm moving forward again. And I plan to investigate motion mixer soon, Noclar7, so thanks also for the tip.

brodyhed

Archigram
09-11-2003, 03:30 AM
Whoops--guess I was too hasty. On second attempt, I realize using the Graph Editor I still can't lasso more than one channel's keys and copy them all later in sequence--rather, all the keys for each separate channel are bunched up into a single new key on that channel, not a sequence of keys. Or am I still getting something wrong?

sannyasi
09-12-2003, 08:24 AM
Make sure when in the graph editor your on the move tool (not the create key tool) and use Ctl + RMB (NOT THE LMB) at the place to begin the copied keys,,, just follow the steps on the first reply again and I'm sure you'll see what went wrong.

Archigram
09-17-2003, 12:51 PM
Sannyasi, I've been travelling and haven't had a chance to try again, but am now back home. I still can't get your method to work and suspect my usual Mac/no RMB workaround (i.e., apple+click) which works in most situations is failing me here. What happens to me when I select the keys from as few as 2 channels in the Graph Editor and then click further down the timeline, off the curve, with Ctl+RMB (i.e., Ctl+apple+RMB) is that only one channel gets copied correctly. Channel B's first key, or sometimes keys, get pasted on top of the channel A's first key or keys, distorting the time scheme of channel B and of the time relationship between the 2 channels. (After that, channel B's keys maintain their internal integrity.) With more than 2 channels the same thing occurs: the first keys of all the channels are pasted together at the wrong time. If this process normally works without a hitch, I guess it's time to buy that new multi-button mouse....

brodyhed

sannyasi
09-17-2003, 04:10 PM
I'm not sure what to tell you. It works for me every time,
I've never tried LW on mac though.
I'm running 7.5 on PC. It should tell you all the commands under the graph it self: see attached image

I also tried to get your same result. the only way I could do it was by left clicking with the add key tool,

Also something I found out was that if you are coping a time slice with only one channel you must click and release on the curve itself. If multiple curves are selected it doesn't matter if its on or off the curve.

Goodluck finding that key, may have to resort to sifting through that mannual:mad:

Archigram
09-19-2003, 07:01 AM
Your results look clean, Sannyasi. I am running 7.5 too, the only difference being a) the Mac and b) lack of a true RMB. My results are consistently as I described. (Sorry I'm not up to speed as far as how to post a desktop snapshot.) I am in the process of forwarding this thread to a friend with a Mac AND a true RMB to see about his results. Anyone else want to weigh in? Thanks Sannyasi for all your trouble.

brodyhed