PDA

View Full Version : I need XNA Peer Review " anybody ?"

OnlineRender
12-19-2009, 05:12 PM
Howdy hope all is well ? , generally I wouldn't post this here , but since its 3D and I know some of you like your games ,I'll cut to the chase ,we have 2 games comming out , but first we want our X-mas Edition before we release our main project .
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_OHdHH0KEP1k/ShR3GX_bWJI/AAAAAAAAANQ/C4gU8ibWqNE/s400/boxart30ap.png

I need a Peer Review for this (58%)
Adventures Of Sid XMAS Special

http://catalog.xna.com/en-GB/MyRelease.aspx?ProjectId=67063e27-7a6f-4d80-bb49-ca499db7a789&MediaType=XboxXna

If you have an XNA creators account I would be most thankfull if you could help review this product ....

(This is our main project ,sorry I didn't cut the video ,sux atm )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X1nFlNTlKY

AOS will be out after the X-mas Edition

Cheers

cresshead
12-19-2009, 08:31 PM
maybe also post over on 3dbuzz.com as they run an xna class over there

OnlineRender
12-20-2009, 03:05 AM
will do thanks ! ,surely there must be atleast 1 or 2 XNA creators ??

walfridson
12-20-2009, 04:07 AM
Nice to see!
Play with XNA in my spare time..

OnlineRender
12-20-2009, 04:16 AM
Nice to see!
Play with XNA in my spare time..

ye it's pretty much what we do , just messing about in our spare time / nights , it's a solid team ! we work well considering we live 5000 miles apart .
I would love to get into the game industry full time and this is only the way I know how to get demo reel work /experince. .
plus its nice seeing your work on XBOX , we also have a PC game starting back up at the begining of the year ....

http://spaceunlimited.blogspot.com/ ---------- have a gander we are always looking for moddellers

walfridson
12-20-2009, 05:24 AM
How large team? How long did you guys work on it?

OnlineRender
12-20-2009, 05:40 AM
retro 1 & 2 & part 3 was coded and released in 30 days " we set milestones too see if we could make a game in that time scale " and it worked ,the games OK ,we sold over 5000 units were ranked 9th in the UK indie charts and 15th in US at one point ,but it was learning curve for all of us mainly ..

Codersys is our main coder ( Welsh )
Franks our sprite artist (French)
OnlineRender ( Scottish ,I just make things happen ) LOL

we keep it tight otherwise deadlines get missed and people let you down ,as we all found out the hard way at first , so now we vet everyone that want's to join , we have all worked on different projects some succesful others just doomed to fail .
people on the XNA forum tend to talk the talk rather than walk the walk .

That's it , AOS is our new game that took longer than we originally wanted , mainly family / work ties held us to randsom , but the game is massive and we wanted to learn new coding methods ,everything is a learning experince .

Our Pc game started about a year ago , the physics in the game caused us some problems , we ended up getting bored at looking at it , so went onto making 2d platformers for fun , just untill we had more experince , if you look at the blog we can now get all maps "bump ,spect ,normal " into the game engine.
So as of the NewYear we will throw ourselves back into it .
I'm happy to take anyone from the LW forums that want's to help , we Need more spaceships 5000 polyz or less .
Have a look at the blog ,the game shows great prommise .

PEACE

Eroneouse
12-20-2009, 10:28 AM
On average how long would you say it should take a model builder to create a 5000 poly ship model and also what scale are the ships built within, in reference to LW's grid system IE 10mm or 1km ?

And most important of all. How is the collie ?

OnlineRender
12-20-2009, 10:39 AM
Any decent modeller should be able to knock out a decent low poly spaceship in a day ,for me 3 weeks lol ,scale isn't much of a problem "we can get the game engine to scale things up or down , but I always suggest to work with real world sizes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_3GhdUXOL4&feature=player_embedded

Large Tanker -

BLOG QUOTE

I have great plans for planet texture generation routines, which I am very eager to test out.

I will try to explain...
Basically you have say 10 continent maps (grey scale) X 2sets + 10 Craters/Valley Maps (0-255 grey scale) + 10 surface detail maps (again grey scale)

Final texture for a planet = 2 Random Continent Maps merged with 2 Other Continent Maps + 2 Crater/Valley Maps + 2 surface Details Maps.

using 2 of 10 maps merged = 10+9+8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1 = 55 different basic shapes per map set.
ie Final planet texture possibilities = 55 * 55 * 55 * 55 = 9,150,625

ie Over 9 Million possible planets!!!!!!!! Then use a similar routine for the Colour Maps (by using colour gradient charts instead) ie 20 colour maps = 55 * 55 = 3025 colour charts...

9,150,625 * 3025 = 27,680,640,625 or 27.6 Billion different planets. Generated from 40 greyscale Maps and 20 Colour gradients!

Plus I might add some sort of Fractal generation at some point too.

But basically 27.6 BILLION planets should be just about enough! hehe :-)

The code is pretty smart , each planet generates its own atmospher / texture map ,so every planet dosn't look the same , working with particles atm .

We can duel platform this aswell , ie we can release to XBOX and PC .
Its just for a bit of fun , but our team is very PRO , we take minutes and stuff , kinda geeky but helps running the project
Peace .

OnlineRender
12-20-2009, 10:42 AM
/\ edit sorry Cass The Collie , is all good , we get her back tommorow "yey" , something to do with over active thyriods "can't comment untill i see the vet " , but were hoping she is all good , sorry I forgot to post , had alot of shinnzle happen this week .

Eroneouse
12-20-2009, 10:52 AM
Np's, glad to hear the collie is ok and thanks for that tech info :)

I shall have a bash at building a spaceship model in a day with less than 5000 polys. I shall either post it or PM you with it, you are aware of course I am new to this area apart from some hobbyist stuff in the past but I am 41 and can take bad critique with good so its all good as far as I am concerned.

OnlineRender
12-20-2009, 11:13 AM
Any help is welcome ! it's a good test of your modelling skills , trying to keep to a low poly count can be a complete nightmare , but employers always look for low poly models and clean poly flow first "or so I found " ,if you get anything modelled and the game engine takes it , I will defo throw it into the game .

ohh and the format the game engine takes is .FBX
That goes for everyone listening , if the models clean and looks generic too the game , I will happily embed it into the game engine! I know alot of people build stuff for SQ challenge and may have some things kicking about .

PEACE

OnlineRender
12-20-2009, 11:22 AM
Edit concept art will be supplied