PDA

View Full Version : O.T. cheap youtube animation> big time budget

cresshead
12-17-2009, 04:02 AM
O.T. cheap youtube animation> big time budget!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dadPWhEhVk

we've seen a thread about this animation earlier this year, looks like he's struck gold via it now!

cut n paste>>
A producer from Uruguay who uploaded a short film to YouTube in November 2009 has been offered a $30m (18.6m) contract to make a Hollywood film.

The movie will be sponsored by director Sam Raimi, whose credits include the Spiderman and Evil Dead films.

Fede Alvarez's short film "Ataque de Panico!" (Panic Attack!) featured giant robots invading and destroying Montevideo, the capital of Uruguay.

It is 4 mins 48 seconds long and has had more than 1.5 million views so far.

"I uploaded (Panic Attack) on a Thursday and on Monday my inbox was totally full of e-mails from Hollywood studios," he told the BBC's Latin American service BBC Mundo.

"It was amazing, we were all shocked."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8417789.stm

biliousfrog
12-17-2009, 05:19 AM
"I uploaded (Panic Attack) on a Thursday and on Monday my inbox was totally full of e-mails from Hollywood studios," he told the BBC's Latin American service BBC Mundo.

"It was amazing, we were all shocked."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8417789.stm

He said on CGTalk recently that he didn't just get offered a deal, he had to visit the studio and more or less beg for a deal...almost every quote I hear from him contradicts a previous one.

It also wasn't a one-man production, he drafted in quite a lot of help.

Personally I'm doubtful that we'll ever hear the full story. Whatever happened, that short (or rather portfolio piece) ain't 'all that' and if Raimi is willing to drop $30m on the director purely after watching that piece I think that he should seek psychiatric help. Call it sour grapes if you like but the 'short', and particularly the direction, is pretty poor by modern standards.

cresshead
12-17-2009, 05:50 AM
could just be hype to try n push him onto news sites....

we'll see if/when his 'feature' for $30million comes out and we have a release date in the cinema...or direct to dvd!

Matt
12-17-2009, 06:55 AM
30 million US, right, I'm doing one! :D

erikals
12-17-2009, 07:26 PM
cool work Oliver ;)

Intuition
12-17-2009, 08:35 PM
The animation on the big robots walking is not really that great, I can't feel the weight.

That is my small crit.

The great thing here is that the concept and the whole piece just reek of cool idea and besides the animation the rest is executed rather well.

Bravo, especially from such a small talented unit. :D

toby
12-19-2009, 01:39 AM
It's not a bad clip but didn't we just see this in Sky Captain?? Bit soon for another of the same.

OnlineRender
12-19-2009, 03:07 AM
Oliver Nice YT Channel ! nice VFX reel , anyway to the point ,give me 30 million and I will make anything you want , infact give me 50 and I will make anything :D

cresshead
12-19-2009, 05:39 AM
Oliver Nice YT Channel ! nice VFX reel , anyway to the point ,give me 30 million and I will make anything you want , infact give me 50 and I will make anything :D

can we have the dvd on my desk by monday 9am sharp please.
do not be late...!...remember it's 50 flippin quid! :D

thomascheng
12-19-2009, 08:06 AM
I don't get it, the story isn't original. The CG is OK. How the heck did he get 30 Million for this? Its nice that he got it, but I don't understand why?