PDA

View Full Version : solidworks sldasm to Modo to Lightwave lwo?

prometheus
12-17-2009, 01:07 AM
Well Im testing some things here exporting out solidworks sldasm and importing to Modo

the materials are there and now Im trying to export it out from modo to lightwave since itīs much easier to have the materials already assigned instead of importing through stl into lightwave wich doesnt contain the surfacing and itīs a little painstaking going trhough different parts and assign surfaces, especially where different parts are intersecting.

I do have a problem thou getting the complete mesh into lightwave, Im not sure of the proper
route for this, some parts are missing and I believe it might be parts that are replicators.
what I seem to have to do, is change type to mesh and then export, not sure of wich part I should select thou.

Later on I might use Modo solely for shading and rendering, but right now Im more proefficient in lightwave with lighting and shading.

If anyone knows how to collapse the whole object wich is a gym machine,or know how to export it properly to lwo format, I would be glad to know.

Michael

Matt
12-17-2009, 06:59 AM
I did a video tutorial on this:

SolidWorks-Modo_Replicators_Conversion.zip (www.pixsim.co.uk/video_tutorials/SolidWorks-Modo_Replicators_Conversion.zip)

prometheus
12-18-2009, 01:14 AM
Thanks Matt!

Excellent video, Ill have to check out the script thou, and then Iīll get back how it works for me.

Im just like you not up to speed with modo, so right now itīs the solidworks to lightwave route, until I get the hang of the shading system in Modo.

Michael

prometheus
12-18-2009, 05:49 AM
Everything worked just fine and dandy with this.

Thanks again Matt:thumbsup:

a little side note regarding workflow, in the final stage of the process, I didnīt select polygons to cut it out, I simple cut them out directly after converting the items to meshes and then paste them in to a new mesh since they already are selected, perhaps thats more secure than lasso selecting wich might not select properly.

Michael