PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Old Town

BMG
09-03-2003, 06:53 AM
Been posting this to thje WIP section for a while.
Let me know what you think. It was fun. My first 3D project
since quite a while. My first post here too. :)

Thanks,

-Brent-

cathuria
09-03-2003, 08:37 AM
Great snow effect...
I like the scene but the one thing that throws me off is that the bushes/sagebrush seems totally frosty -- and the trees not at all.

hrgiger
09-03-2003, 09:07 AM
Does it really snow in the desert?

Looks cool though. I agree about the sage brush. Perhaps a gradient on the color channel might work out better keeping the snow towards the top of the brush.

hunter
09-03-2003, 02:02 PM
In the high desert of the sierra nevadas it sure does snow. Bodie, a ghost town near where I grew up was down to 30 degrees (f) when it was a heatwave everywhere else just a couple of weeks ago. Those pics remind me of home well done.

Kuzey
09-03-2003, 06:27 PM
Ooooo...I love the bottom image the most!!

You should render a larger verion and send it to the Newtek gallery;)

Kuzey

BMG
09-03-2003, 08:10 PM
Thanks guys.
Kinda reminds me of home here too... Newfoundland....
minus the sagebrush though. :)

Its kind of a funny coincidence... Our band was practicing for a wedding gig this weekend and the parents of the bride called up and asked us if we could do that song by the Pogues...(Dirty Ol Town) Ha!

Anyways, I'll see about the hires version for the Newtek gallery.

Later,

-Brent-

KissMyGrits
09-03-2003, 10:33 PM
Actually areas like Antarctica are deserts, it just means large uninhabited areas.

**Edit**

Just to make sure...

des·ert1 _
n.
1. A barren or desolate area, especially:
a. A dry, often sandy region of little rainfall, extreme temperatures, and sparse vegetation.
b. A region of permanent cold that is largely or entirely devoid of life.
c. An apparently lifeless area of water.
2. An empty or forsaken place; a wasteland: a cultural desert.
3. Archaic. A wild, uncultivated, and uninhabited region.

Water... Huh... Didn't think of that.

BMG
09-05-2003, 05:06 AM
Haha! Sure it will survive! Its a mad cow man!
Mad Cows can handle tempatures as low as ABSOLUTE ZERO.
On the other hand they cant stand the heat... studies have shown that paticular cows get really agitated and even pissed at any temperature over 140 degrees C. in the shade. Of course theyre really at ease on a BBQ. These cows are purely grain fed also... Prime meat. Give em a nice bed of hay to lay in, a bath, and a few bottles of Molson Canadian and they're not mad anymore... but remember to wear you rubbers... dont want any mad animator disease spreadin around.

I cant believe I'm writing this....

Oh well I'll try to animate it over the weekend. The cow and pig are already boned.... especially their heads... if you know what I mean.

:)

No offence to anyone.

-Brent-

KissMyGrits
09-05-2003, 05:49 PM
Lol.

Noclar7
09-05-2003, 08:00 PM
lol.. ya know.. when you think of it Brent.. I think the maritimes is one of the few places where you can actually see a cow out in the snow...

I too like the last image.. with the smashed up car.. reminds me of some old deserted farm land.

BMG
09-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Thanks RJ. Its true belive me... only in the maratimes. :)

-Brent-