PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave is very sluggish

l.duffman
12-15-2009, 01:55 PM
Hi,

I'm in modeler and lightwave is moving very sluggish. Does anyone know why? Any tips?

Its the only program i got open, but it just seems to be moving so slow.

Any ideas

Thanks

4dartist
12-15-2009, 02:08 PM
Hello and welcome to the forums.

Just a though here... maybe you could explain a little further into what sort of hardware you are using and which version of lightwave.

I'll give you some ideas:

Windows 3.1 / 95 / 98 / ME / Vista / 7 or Mac OSx (pick a cat)
1mb or 8 GB of ram
Grandma's video card or latest $800 overkill card?
what kinda of processor? how many?

What aspect of modeler is sluggish? Rotating 1 polygon, rotating 1million polygons? Construction tools, like welding, extruding and stuff?

you get the idea.

evenflcw
12-15-2009, 02:09 PM
EDIT: Too slow. What he said!

l.duffman
12-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Hello and welcome to the forums.

Just a though here... maybe you could explain a little further into what sort of hardware you are using and which version of lightwave.

I'll give you some ideas:

Windows 3.1 / 95 / 98 / ME / Vista / 7 or Mac OSx (pick a cat)
1mb or 8 GB of ram
Grandma's video card or latest $800 overkill card?
what kinda of processor? how many?

What aspect of modeler is sluggish? Rotating 1 polygon, rotating 1million polygons? Construction tools, like welding, extruding and stuff?

you get the idea.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply, should of introduced myself first.

Er, well its lightwave 7.5, i have 384mb of ram, processor is 2.80ghz, 2.79ghz. I think it is just a typical bog standard video card, nothing special.

I'm basically, trying to do a animated tv text logo, and it more sluggish when zooming in for some reason, extruding is kinda sluggish too. I'm pretty new to the whole animation/lightwave thing, so the details i've given probably ain't too helpful i think.

Thanks

4dartist
12-15-2009, 02:41 PM
Ok, well the info certainly helps. It would be nice to sit there and take a look at what you have going on for the logo, because being on the kind of system you are, keeping the model clean and small will help a lot. Also working with the model as polygons, instead of Sub division surfaces may help too.

If I had to guess, and this is only a guess.
You are feeling the limits of your video card / RAM. I assume your on windows, and lord knows windows uses RAM of it's own to run its self and all those little programs down in your tray at the bottom right. Are you running windows XP? If so, I'm guessing Lightwave isn't getting much of that RAM.

If somehow Lightwave needs to use the Harddisk to cache you may feel a significant slow down.

You can more than likely work with what you have now, but you need to be very smart with how many polygons you are using. Try to use the least amount possible to get to the same result.

Wait and see what other people say. I'd personally suggest upgrading your computer with a mid range game video card and more RAM. RAM is extremely cheap and video cards aren't bad either. But upgrading takes a degree of computer knowledge that you may or may not be comfortable with.

OnlineRender
12-15-2009, 02:55 PM
I would overclock your proccesor firstly :D , Rams Killing you ,are you on win98 ? ,most 3D apps are proccesor and video intensive ,they generally need good power to make things work smoothly .

I know money is tight esp at x-mas but a new PC or home built one is probably your best method .
you can set up a decent rig for about 100

JohnMarchant
12-15-2009, 03:28 PM
Yeah i think you need new hardware mate. Having said that modeler has never been that great with heavy poly objects, but yours should not have been a problem

Nicolas Jordan
12-15-2009, 03:37 PM
If I remember correctly the Lightwave 7.x series was meant to run on NT 4.0 or Win 2000. If its running on Win 95, 98 or ME that probably won't help things much.

l.duffman
12-15-2009, 04:33 PM
Hi again,

My computer is a pretty bog standard really. I phoned one of the people in my college and they said windows updates can take up ram, also try deleting tempory memory (don't know how i would go about doing that though, any ideas) 'cos in Maya apparently, that can make the program pretty unresponsive.

Does anyone know how to delete tempory files?

Only thing is i'm stressing, 'cos i got till thursday to have a completed animation and its running slow.

Think it is a definite case of having to get better hardware.

JonW
12-15-2009, 11:46 PM
The Ghz of the CPU doesn’t mean anything any more. An i7 920 is only 2.67 Ghz not overclocked & it leaves CPUs of only a few year old in it’s wake!

Ram is the other problem. There is nothing left for LW. Also, the video card ??

Beg, borrow or steel another computer for you deadline!

toby
12-15-2009, 11:48 PM
Working the way we used to work when 7.5 was current will get the job done too, even though 384mb was small even then. Making sure you don't have more polys than you need, avoid n-gons, etc., clean modeling.

Having only the display options you need can help a lot too. Switch the objects' display to the lowest rendering method you can (wireframe, vertices, bounding box), in Layout, turn off motion paths, and modeler turn on Simple wireframe points and edges.

OnlineRender
12-16-2009, 01:16 AM
Working the way we used to work when 7.5 was current will get the job done too, even though 384mb was small even then. Making sure you don't have more polys than you need, avoid n-gons, etc., clean modeling.

Having only the display options you need can help a lot too. Switch the objects' display to the lowest rendering method you can (wireframe, vertices, bounding box), in Layout, turn off motion paths, and modeler turn on Simple wireframe points and edges.

good advice , we use 7.5 and they run fine on a basic shell , although everything is setup for video editing .

you can get LW to perform but it will take some tweaking .
If what I gather you have went to MAKE LOGO then extruded ?
that probaly wont help , alot of points and polyz .
For Temp files you can use Evidence Elimanitor or CCCleaner .
There's also a free up Ram software that might help .

If your in Layout Trying to animate ( Lets say you have already moddelled )

In layout Hit D , switch off all things you don't need , Cages , guides ect , the whole objective is to get rid of on screen visual things you don't need .
Shut down all apps that aren't needed for example firefox , I have a funny suspision that you use this computer to browse the NET ??, that's not going to help with speed and memory ! Disconnect your internet when your in LW .
Goodluck dude , you just need to hold your breath and count to 10 before moving the object :P

Ohh and another way that might help , do all animating in the graph editor .

colkai
12-16-2009, 03:10 AM
1GB of RAM minimum, 2GB or more ideally.
Running on 380MB of RAM I'm amazed it runs at all!

JonW
12-16-2009, 05:07 AM
My old AMD 1800 MP (multi processor) had 2.5 gb ram. It gives me nightmares thing about 384 mb.

To find some more ram, you should be able to turn off some background applications.

Control panel / Administrative Tools / Services. Then right click each program running, Click on Properties. In “Startup type” click Disable, BUT before you do this READ THE DESCRIPTION of what the program is doing. If you are not sure that you can Disable it, just leave that program & move onto the next.

I did this on my 5335 & recovered about 100 mb without any difficulty.

UnCommonGrafx
12-16-2009, 05:11 AM
You have surpassed the computers abilities.
To truly know this, answer this question: is your hard drive light on or flickering as you work? If so, then... you know...

colkai
12-16-2009, 05:46 AM
truthsay, once you hit that paging file, all hint of "performance" is lost. :(

dilaima
12-16-2009, 05:03 PM
i prefer that you go for the video card settings (nvidia or ATI) find where is the anti aliasing control and disable it, when antialias is enabled lightwave run slower even on a good vga card.

JonW
12-16-2009, 08:24 PM
Page file.....

On my 5335 I just fell over the line with 8 gb ram onboard, & the render time doubled. I upped it to 12gb & the render time was cut in half. Id hate to think how long a render would take if you using a large page file.

colkai
12-17-2009, 02:30 AM
Not just rendering, everything.
We are using and IDE at work, one of the team only had 512MB of ram, it took over 3 minutes to load up. We slapped in extra ram to 2GB and now it loads in 20 or so seconds.
Simply because to load, it had to use the page file. Urrhh.

As soon as you go from using memory to writing to disk, you're stuffed in terms of speed.

3DGFXStudios
12-17-2009, 03:08 AM
Your computer isn't as bad as people say here. You should be able to make you logo animation easily. Back in the day we were able to do it on Amiga's with a 25mhz proc and 16 mb of ram (and even less)

JonW
12-17-2009, 04:59 AM
I still use my 533 DP Mac for most things, including 5d2 photos (21mp) in Photoshop for montages. I really only got a new Mini for some situations that the old Mac was out of its depth.

As long as one is aware of a computer’s limitations & carefully utilises the resources it has, an on box works very well. Eg when doing a large Photoshop file, I give it all the ram I can. It also has its own scratch disk. Keep Cashe settings to 4.

Even doing a few small LW things on it are ok. But it is a prehistoric computer & takes 57 times longer to render than a W5580, as long as a scene is small enough to load. But it’s usually the graphics card thats the issue! Eg I can’t load the 3dspeed benchmark with any display ports, but can render the scene (1:00:10)

Use an SSD or at least a Velociraptor for a new box, they are a lot quicker. A SSD is very nippy!

colkai
12-17-2009, 05:26 AM
Oh no, the computer is better than mine, but without RAM to back it up, it's got a serious bottleneck of performance.