PDA

View Full Version : Deleting lots of lights?

TSpyrison
12-15-2009, 01:44 PM
Im working on a holiday themed project, with oodles of lights..

Why is it, when I multiselect a 3-4 hundred lights, then delete them.. that it takes forever? As in, if I didn't see the core working in the task manager, I would think it had completely locked up. If I wait long enough, it eventually comes back..

arsad
12-15-2009, 05:25 PM
try the same with hundreds of nulls, LW is sluggish slow with lots of items to delete :-(

Svenart
12-15-2009, 05:46 PM
you can parent all the lights to a null object... then, select the null object in the viewport (not in scene editor) with right mouse button.... selecting and deleting this way is very much faster, try it :)

evenflcw
12-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Interesting observation, Svenart!

biliousfrog
12-16-2009, 03:22 AM
you can parent all the lights to a null object... then, select the null object in the viewport (not in scene editor) with right mouse button.... selecting and deleting this way is very much faster, try it :)

Yeah, definitely the way to go. I'll always plan ahead when I need loads of items and parent them to a null before cloning it...if nothing else you can move the entire rig around or even clone it again to make smaller groups.

JohnMarchant
12-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Wise words indeed

shrox
12-16-2009, 05:41 PM
Yeah, definitely the way to go. I'll always plan ahead when I need loads of items and parent them to a null before cloning it...if nothing else you can move the entire rig around or even clone it again to make smaller groups.

Yes, I usually do that for repeated lighting fixtures, like at a stadium.