PDA

View Full Version : Discovery Edition Install on OSX

dpitham
09-03-2003, 06:24 AM
Hi there
I'm a bit new to all this Mac business, but I'm having trouble installing Lightwave Discovery Edition on the OSX 10.2.6

I have downloaded the file from the newtek FTP server, but inside the Mac_Install folder, there is no installation file.

There is a setup file, but there is no way to run it.

I'm guessing I need to be messing about in Terminal or something, but I'm not quite sure what I'm doing

I would appreciate any help on the subject

Beamtracer
09-03-2003, 03:23 PM
I don't know what the problem might be (I didn't know Discovery Lightwave was available online) but you definitely don't need to use the Terminal app.

Happycat
09-03-2003, 07:55 PM
Same issue here: New to the Mac OS and I can't discern how you go about installing discovery. None of the files seem to register as applications, just as documents which request another application to open.

mlinde
09-03-2003, 10:08 PM
This may sound crazy, but maybe you should try decompressing the file in OS 9. Don't ask why, but I've had some LW plug-ins not register correctly if I unstuff it in OS X, but if I re-unstuff in OS 9 (the exact same file) it's fine.

dpitham
09-04-2003, 02:03 AM
OK guys...
well i got it to work... sort of.. :)

Instead of trying to install the discovery edition i downloaded, This is what i did (incase anyone else is having the same problem)

download the file lwde.zip from the newtek ftp server ftp://ftp.newtek.com/, and also dowload the lightwave 7.5c update.

Install the lightwave 7.5c update, and then copy the folder eve3.framework from the lwde.zip file into the folder where you installed the lightwave update.

and voila. one lightwave discovery edition.

nice and simple eh? :)

Happycat
09-04-2003, 12:39 PM
Stupid? More like brilliant. I would never have thought of that. Thank you a thousand times over.