PDA

View Full Version : ArtRage 3.0 Released

Matt
12-15-2009, 03:10 AM
Finally it's here! Ordered mine! Looks awesome! :)

http://www.artrage.com

Matt
12-15-2009, 04:14 AM
Okay, just taken it for a quick test drive! WOW! The new watercolour is gorgeous!

I have the BIGGEST smile on my face when I play with this program, how often does software make you chuckle with excitement and wonder!

Love it love it love it! :)

OnlineRender
12-15-2009, 04:28 AM
looks sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet ! cheap as chips aswell !

COBRASoft
12-15-2009, 04:31 AM
It seems nice Matt, if you can actually draw and paint in real life. I'm miserable at that, unfortunately.

Please show us some of your work you're doing with this app. I'm quite curious.

Matt
12-15-2009, 04:39 AM
The new brush cursors feel lovely to work with, they even change when you press down on the canvas, I love that attention to detail!

OnlineRender
12-15-2009, 04:53 AM
nice software ,sketchup counter-part ???
---------------------------

downloaded the 2,5 demo ,going to let my daughter play with "she's a better artist".....post screens later

cresshead
12-15-2009, 04:59 AM
looks cool, the main thing i wanted from art rage was water colors...so how's it compare to say painter x?

also which did you buy...studio or studio pro....

looks pretty goood to me

biliousfrog
12-15-2009, 05:13 AM
LOL...Daniel Craig's let himself go: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=8610&catid=newimages

It looks great for the price, I've been meaning to check it out for a long time but I'd never have the time to play with it anyway.

cresshead
12-15-2009, 05:30 AM
comparison test

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/gallery/files/3/3/4/2/dragon_and_monk_sidebyside.jpg

Red_Oddity
12-15-2009, 06:20 AM
I'm wondering to what version to upgrade, pro or studio.
They are not very specific in what feature does what.

colkai
12-15-2009, 06:22 AM
i'd say, if you can, just go for pro, so many more features.

cresshead
12-15-2009, 06:43 AM
comparison sheet

http://store.kagi.com/gif/6FGVH_LIVE/Matrix.gif

Red_Oddity
12-15-2009, 08:25 AM
Yes, i saw the comparison matrix, but it's nice to what a certain new feature does.

AR : "Artrage 3 Pro now features the squaflooble brush, which is totally awsome"
Me : "Cool, what does it do?"
AR : "Check the comparsion chart, Artrage 3 Pro has the squaflooble brush"
Me : "going circles are we?"

cresshead
12-15-2009, 08:31 AM
yeah it's ace that there's so many cheap choices for natural media art apps thesedays...
my only problem is a lack of talent to actually 'draw/paint'!

art rage, painter, sketchbook pro, colors [ds], paintstop [zbrush] and the ususal suspects>> photoplop

OnlineRender
12-15-2009, 08:32 AM
It's a really powerfull app , I got bored not being able to use all the tools , so i just bought it , going to be excellent for textures , great price aswell 52 , Puts me in mind of 3DC "not the app " just the whole athmosphere .........

I love the way you can use png as stencils ,thats handy
cheers for the link ,great software .

Marshun
12-18-2009, 01:26 AM
It's a really powerfull app , I got bored not being able to use all the tools , so i just bought it , going to be excellent for textures , great price aswell 52 , Puts me in mind of 3DC "not the app " just the whole athmosphere .........

I love the way you can use png as stencils ,thats handy
cheers for the link ,great software .

Hey OnllineRender. I can't find the page to enter "how to pay for..." and such. The Purchase button only takes me to a first page and that's it. No check-out means is listed??

Where is that? I've got ice-cream melting in my day-pack too.

Matt???

OnlineRender
12-18-2009, 01:59 AM
may work http://store.kagi.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?storeID=6FGVH_LIVE&& or

https://store.kagi.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi

I downloaded the demo first and purchased from there !

CC Rider
12-18-2009, 10:55 AM
Looks like something a REAL artist could use!
I guess that counts me out...
Oh well...

Matt
12-18-2009, 11:07 AM
I thought all 3D people could draw / paint?

CC Rider
12-18-2009, 11:10 AM
The better ones probably do

:hey:

Greenlaw
12-18-2009, 01:17 PM
Thanks for posting the info for ArtRage 3 Matt.

looks cool, the main thing i wanted from art rage was water colors...so how's it compare to say painter x?

I used to use ArtRage 2 Pro for quick sketching, but eventually fell back to Painter (using version 11 now.)

What I really liked about ArtRage was that it was simple but very capable and fast; Painter is even more capable, but it's easy to get overwhelmed by the interface and available options. Oh, yeah, and ArtRage is cheap too. (By contrast, Autodesk Sketchbook Pro, which AR resembles, is too simple, a little clunky, and expensive for what you get. But I'm not here to talk about Sketchbook.)

What I didn't like about ArtRage 2 was it didn't perform very well for print res images with multiple layers active (not a problem for Painter.) But I still think ArtRage is great for doing quick sketching where resolution isn't a big concern.

Also, the lack of a watercolor brush in 2.1 really hurt, but now that 3.0 has one I'm going to have to take another look. :)

Greenlaw

Greenlaw
12-18-2009, 06:05 PM
Hi,

Just got mine. After a few minutes of doodling around, I'm happy I upgraded. The Gloop Brush is pretty cool and it's my favorite new feature.

If you already own ArtRage 2.x, be sure to get the coupon from your member account--the coupon reduces the cost for ArtRage 3 Studio Pro from $80 to $55. I think this offer is only for a limited time. (Part of me is a little disappointed that the price has gone up so much.)

I am running into one problem with the Marker brushes. The Soft Marker and the Blend Marker brushes don't seem to work properly with a Wacom Tablet (I'm using an Intuos 3.) Instead of getting the proper effect, I'm just getting a solid opaque line. Curiously, the tools work the way you expect when using the mouse. Anybody else having issues with a Wacom tablet?

I recall having problems with in ArtRage 2 when Precise Tablet was enabled, so I tried turning it off, but still no good. I know other problems I had seemed to go away when I removed the Wacom drivers, rebooted, and then reinstalled. I'll try that later.

I'll also try ArtRage 3 Studio Pro with my Cintiq at home tonight and see how it works there.

I'd almost forgot how much fun ArtRage could be. Can't wait to play some more.

BTW, anybody else here using Painter 11? The new Pencil tool is pretty amazing--it's the first time I've seen a paint program properly simulate shading with the side of the pencil by angling the stylus.

Greenlaw

Marshun
12-18-2009, 09:07 PM
I thought all 3D people could draw / paint?

Ok Matt, what's wrong with that web page? Its purchase sequence is not operating and I cannot make a purchase of its top draw ArtRage3.
I can total what my bill would be but it stops right there: no query as to how-to-pay and all that stuff. I emailed support but no one's home...

Enlighten Me!

hey wait a minute~ is this only for Macs or something?

Greenlaw
12-19-2009, 01:56 AM
I am running into one problem with the Marker brushes.

Now I'm convinced that these two Felt Pen presets are just screwed up. I'm finding that I can get the proper pen effects (or at least my interpretation of what they should be) by dialing in settings manually. Luckily, this new version of ArtRage 3 lets you save your own tool presets. (You couldn't do that in 2.5, so this is another big improvement.)

Marshun, the Ambient Design webpage should work. I purchased my upgrade through it this afternoon with no problem. Have you tried a different browser?

Greenlaw

Chris S. (Fez)
12-19-2009, 08:56 AM
What I didn't like about ArtRage 2 was it didn't perform very well for print res images with multiple layers active (not a problem for Painter.) But I still think ArtRage is great for doing quick sketching where resolution isn't a big concern.

Can you please tell me if there are any performance improvements in 3? High rez is kind of mandatory for me...

Deciding whether to wait for CS5's new physical paint/brush engine or go with Painter 11 (pretty aggressive sales going on at Corel). Incredibly, I had not even heard of Artrage until this thread...

rkpdesign
12-19-2009, 11:10 AM
Wondering the same thing here...haven't upgraded to Painter 11 (but seriously considering it)...now have to hear/read more on benefits of ArtRage versus CS5 versus P11...:help:

Marshun
12-19-2009, 12:12 PM
I don't know what the problem is with my not being able to get the purchase page to display correctly. I'm feeling that the problem is either inside my machine (though nothing else seems to be acting up) or with my browser. Sorry Matt. I did get a response to my email from a ambient's page personel but it's still a no go. Looks like I'll just have to go without :(

Marshun
12-19-2009, 12:42 PM
Whoa Horsies... I was able to access using Firefox so we'll see here: yup it's a "can-do" for me now! thanks be to somebody here. Where'd he go now? oHHh

Greenlaw
12-19-2009, 02:00 PM
I played with ArtRage 3 Studio Pro quite a bit last night, but didn't test for the high res issue. I'll post a comparison after I get a chance to use it for something more than scribbles and doodles--maybe tonight. (I'm working this weekend, so I don't know if I'll get to it.)

Resolution slow down aside, comparison between ArtRage and Painter is a little unfair because the programs are targeted for different users. I think ArtRage is more intended for users who are looking for a really good natural media simulator, but don't want to spend a lot of money or spend a lot of time learning the program. Overall, Painter has way more features than ArtRage, but it also costs a lot more, and it comes with a steeper learning curve. (I've been using Painter for years and I'm still figuring things out.)

Greenlaw

OnlineRender
12-19-2009, 02:04 PM
My daughter (4) picked up ArtRage within minutes , now i need to get her to show me how to use it !

Marshun
12-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Yeah this is a treat. I'll be playing with this for awhile. Make happy christmas boxes under pine trees and all.

Matt, my browser may have been at fault. I was using ie 7 or ie 8. Netscape worked for me. That's the first time I've ever had something like that in a real long time.

Anyway, I'll draw some pictures. Nice app indeed :)

There's that smiley face :) :)

OnlineRender
12-21-2009, 03:55 PM
First Real Go at the Software

http://www.onlinerender.com/minibitmap.bmp

Marshun
12-22-2009, 03:26 AM
Oh that's nice OnlineRender. Like that color nuance-iness and all. Very good.
Hope nt doesn't discover this thread talking about some other software...

OnlineRender
12-22-2009, 05:19 AM
I think there's a fine line between talking about other software on the forum , but what would be the point if we all hide away .
I would love to see any of they tools they have in ArtRage, implemented into CORE or LW ,it would be great if you had the same control over polypainting and textures within Lw