PDA

View Full Version : RATM for Xmas #1?

biliousfrog
12-15-2009, 01:59 AM
I just spent my 29p at Amazon to keep Cowell from the top spot this year.

For anyone that doesn't know a Facebook group has been urging people to buy Rage Against The Machine's Killing in the Name on the run up to Xmas to prevent the X-Factor winner from being #1...again. I was a little cynical to start with but it looks like it's going to be a close run battle with the two songs taking turns at the top spot in the download charts at Amazon and iTunes.

http://www.metro.co.uk/showbiz/806083-x-factors-joe-mcelderrys-bid-for-christmas-number-one-in-doubt

Some might remember last year when Jeff Buckley was outselling Leona Lewis's version of hallelujah until Cowell dropped the price on the last few days...I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens this year but it's nice to see him sweat.

If you'd like to 'do your bit' head over to Amazon and donate 29p to a worthy cause :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001I4NZP4/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

...maybe do the same at iTunes too ;)

OnlineRender
12-15-2009, 04:10 AM
Done ! Love RATM ! "seen them Live was amazing " also bought the MacDonald Brothers Charity Record for Cash4Kids ....song sucks but anything to stop SC and his empire ........although I do feel a little sad for him he paid 50 million in taxes last year . that's alot of Doh .

Martin Adams
12-15-2009, 05:10 AM
Someone at work said that Amazon downloads don't count towards the charts figures. I don't know if it's true, but 29p is a good price.

biliousfrog
12-15-2009, 05:28 AM
Someone at work said that Amazon downloads don't count towards the charts figures. I don't know if it's true, but 29p is a good price.

That used to be the case but they do now count, it has been confirmed by Amazon and the official UK charts company.

One of things that often causes confusion is that singles must cost 40p or more to be included but that's just the retail price, the seller can charge whatever they want just like any physical goods.

biliousfrog
12-15-2009, 05:44 AM
Is this what important things to worry about has boiled down to in the UK? :D

haha...yes:D

It is also in aid of a charity (via donations) so it's not just about ruining Cowell's xmas.

...it's also very ironic that a group of several hundred thousand people are buying a song with '[email protected]$ you I won't do what you tell me' in it because someone told them to :foreheads

OnlineRender
12-15-2009, 05:50 AM
I like this version ,Biffy Clyro - Killing In The Name Of @ Reading Festival 08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV0YUzdG158

biliousfrog
12-15-2009, 06:03 AM
I like this version ,Biffy Clyro - Killing In The Name Of @ Reading Festival 08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV0YUzdG158

Thanks, hadn't seen/heard that before. Clever way round censoring the chorus...just let the audience swear for you :thumbsup:

OnlineRender
12-15-2009, 06:23 AM
Inside Info Here "the were told before they went on , by the BBC don't swear " so they didn't :D

OnlineRender
12-15-2009, 07:30 AM
yas just seen it on yahoo news there out selling cowell ! NICE

http://new.uk.music.yahoo.com/blogs/snapcrackleandpop/33227/rage-winning-chart-battle/

Darth Mole
12-15-2009, 07:50 AM
Unbelievably, Cowell sees the tactic as 'cynical' (www.bbc.co.uk). That's rich coming from a man who tailors the entire X Factor show to peak at the time when everyone's running around like headless chickens buying tat. These X Factor single are just dire - rubbish MOR ballad tripe that's sold to teeny girls and grannies.

I despise the cynicism of the X Factor show and Cowell. Anybody know if ANY of his ill-gotten gains goes to charity?

biliousfrog
12-15-2009, 09:29 AM
I like how the X-Factor 'winner' wins a 1m record deal which most people actually believe is 1m in their pocket...not 1m to be used in recording them, promoting them and managing them by the record company. The 'winners' don't actually get a penny unless they make a profit after the label, management, distribution company and song writers take their majority shares and after hiring studio time, shooting videos, accomodation, touring, travel expenses...it's fairly standard stuff but most musicians would at least have some control over their music and get royalties from writing their material.

cagey5
12-15-2009, 10:14 AM
... outselling Leona Lewis's version of hallelujah until ...

Alexandra Burke surely...

biliousfrog
12-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Alexandra Burke surely...

ha...well, you're obviously more of a fan than me :p

...did I get away with that?

OnlineRender
12-15-2009, 11:44 AM

your a bad boy ,bad boy !

cagey5
12-15-2009, 01:18 PM

Almost.

1. I never miss an episode, I think they discover true original talent whom they groom and nurture for a long term career.

2. They are only interested in delivering an 'entertainment' show that generates lots of media attention so they attract lots of advertising to further inflate Cowells burgeoning bank balance with no further thought to one round of singers, after they've milked them of their album of cover versions, before they turn their attention to the next group of incoming, a process they have tuned to such a fine degree that even someone with no interest in the genre at all has the name Alexandra Burke burned into their memory cells because she crops up caterwauling her 'hit' on any show they can crowbar her into.

Only one of those statements is true and the laws of libel may prevent me being more explicit than that.. :)

biliousfrog
12-16-2009, 03:17 AM
I should have remembered it was Alexandra actually, she's the first person I've seen on the show who I thought genuinely had the 'X-Factor', just from catching a glimpse of the auditions.

I've just caught this on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2AYUqVNSsY

:rock:

cresshead
12-16-2009, 04:50 AM
just watrched it on youtube...anyone else notice the guitar riff sounds really close the the theme tune of grange hill!

cannot take this!...just sounds lke a bbc 'anthem' to me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkuOAY-S6OY

cresshead
12-16-2009, 04:58 AM
okay in the name of keeping poop off the top of the chart...just bought the grange hill tune...err i mean the rage agaist the machine!

best 29p spent in a long time!

biliousfrog
12-16-2009, 05:06 AM
just watrched it on youtube...anyone else notice the guitar riff sounds really close the the theme tune of grange hill!

cannot take this!...just sounds lke a bbc 'anthem' to me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkuOAY-S6OY

How very dare you!

It's scarey to think that some of the people buying this weren't even born when it came out...I make it 17 years ago?...damn I'm getting old. I found it too cheesey at the time but it's still a huge tune and they are still one of the most influential rock bands of the last 20yrs. Like 'em or not they kicked off the whole rap/rock cross-over thing (I'm not including RunDMC/Aerosmith) and nobody else has come close to pulling it off in the same way.

cresshead
12-16-2009, 08:49 AM
just SO funny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2AYUqVNSsY

biliousfrog
12-16-2009, 08:54 AM
just SO funny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2AYUqVNSsY

yep, the Susan Boyle part is hilarious.

The Facebook group has stopped working again, it disappeared for a few hours yesterday. Last count was nearly 900,000 members. It's getting a lot of coverage too on TV and radio, apparently Tom Morello (guitarist with RATM) is quoted with saying that it's a great act of anarchy and fully supports it...I guess he would considering the royalties and publicity.

littlewaves
12-16-2009, 03:07 PM
which ever of the two songs gets to no. 1 it's a nice pay day for Sony BMG who will see the money from both.

I reckon the guys who set up the facebook group are employed by the label.

'tis the season to be cynical!

OnlineRender
12-20-2009, 10:13 AM
Yas RATM is still number1 atm , listening to charts as I type , get tunned in NOW !

biliousfrog
12-20-2009, 10:30 AM
There are several websites stating that they have the 'leaked' figures at Rage being 52,000 in front. The promoters of the Download festival have also claimed to be working on the free festival that Rage announced they would put on if they got to #1. The bookie's also stopped taking bets on rage at #1.

Everything points at them taking the top spot but we won't know until 7pm

biliousfrog
12-20-2009, 10:33 AM
double post

OnlineRender
12-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssss fu cowell

biliousfrog
12-20-2009, 12:29 PM
Awesome...absolutely fantastic, The social network sites have gone crazy.

I'm so pleased at the result, mostly because of the message behind it and the way that so many people united for it to happen. I love the band and the song but would have been equally as happy if the birdy song did it...I just love how two people took on one of the biggest companies in the music industry and, within a week, won...despite having everything stacked against them. I think that this will have a deep impact on people beyond the charts, there's so much doom and gloom in the media, people don't feel that they have much control over their lives or their surroundings...but this small victory over the xmas #1 has shown that people power can have a significant influence.

OnlineRender
12-20-2009, 01:53 PM
My mate just posted this on FB I thought it was kinda funny

its the amount of people who care about the xmas no1 at all that surprises me - it's meant bugger all for over 10 years (if it ever did).

The People 1 - Xfactor 0

Where were the millions of Xfactor nut jobs supporting their show and saving its face? 17Million viewers per week and not even 1Million of them bought the damn thing!