PDA

View Full Version : Screamernet II just for animation?

Graham Nichols
09-03-2003, 06:19 AM
Hi,

As a LW newbie I'm setting up Screamernet II today to help spread the load for my Athlon 1.2GHz LW box.

Is Screamernet II only for animations, whereby each node takes a frame at a time, or can a single frame s-l-o-w render using caustics, volumentric lights, anti-aliasing etc also be improved via net rendering? I wasn't too sure from the manual. Probably just me being thick (again).

best,

Graham Nichols.

Matt
09-03-2003, 06:58 AM
we all wish it could, but it can't! :(

each node takes one frame, one frame can't be distributed to several nodes.

maybe in v8 eh NewTek? ;)

Graham Nichols
09-03-2003, 07:10 AM
Thanks for clearing that up Matt. I wasn't sure, as I can do this on programs like Bryce ($70) so I thought (hoped) a serious package like LW would be able to as well.

Oh well, guess I'll just hit render and then go on vacation. :)

best, Graham

Matt
09-03-2003, 07:29 AM
Having said that, I think some screamernet controllers (don't ask me which ones never used anything else other than SN) cheat by saving several copies of the same scene with render region activated, each scene goes to a node, then the completed image is merged together when they're all done.

I think that's how they work, could be wrong, worth checking out, although I'm not sure that technique works very well with LW's implementation of radiosity.

Graham Nichols
09-03-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Matt
Having said that, I think some screamernet controllers (don't ask me which ones never used anything else other than SN) cheat by saving several copies of the same scene with render region activated, each scene goes to a node, then the completed image is merged together when they're all done.

I think that's how they work, could be wrong, worth checking out, although I'm not sure that technique works very well with LW's implementation of radiosity.

OK, I'll give that a whizz. Thanks for the tip.

best, Graham