PDA

View Full Version : Modeler problem when creating a simple box

wtdedula
12-14-2009, 08:15 PM
Hello All;
I have been trying to do a fairly simple task in modeler and I seem to get some strange behavior or strange geometry, etc ...

It is best to explain by showing you a screenshot. See attac hed.

Here's all I did - I created a 1-foot square box subdivided 3 times on each side for a total of 9 polygons on each side. Then I used the "tunnel" function of Drill to drill two holes through the box at both sides. Then when I examine the model and rotate it in modeler, I experience some strange artifacts on one of the sides that I drilled through.

It doesn't seem to be separate geometry and I don't have any non planar polygons.

Has anyone seen this happen and what can I do to eliminate the problem. I don't want to continue with my model until I determine if this could be a problem during render.

See attached and see if you can recommend something or maybe explain what's happening here.

Thanks so much.

Tim

RudySchneider
12-14-2009, 08:44 PM
Did you use the same circle to "drill" both holes, by simply re-positioning it for both drill operations, or did you use two separate circles?

I tried it here (on LW9.6) using one and two circles with no problems, regardless of where I positioned the circles --- above, below, or inside the box.

What happens if you use a cylinder(s), doing a boolean operation, then delete the inside polygons?

wtdedula
12-14-2009, 08:57 PM
Hi Rudy;
I used the same circle and repositioned it. I'll take your suggestion and try a cylinder and a boolean operation. I'll report back on my results shortly.

Tim

wtdedula
12-14-2009, 09:10 PM
Hi Rudy;
Well ... you saved the night and prevented me from going crazy because Boolean Subtract worked. I no longer get that strange behavior.

That's bizzarre ... not sure why Tunnel Drill doesn't work correctly (For me anyway). Now I can continue with my work.

Thanks.

Tim

RudySchneider
12-14-2009, 09:23 PM
Glad to assist, though it'd be nice to understand what happened. Maybe an Open GL issue? It almost looks like when you moved the circle to drill the second hole, that one of the vertices strayed off toward the center. I actually tried doing that and got something similar but different. Just out of curiosity, did you ever try doing it again from scratch?

wtdedula
12-14-2009, 09:57 PM
Hi Rudy;
Thanks so much for your dedication.

In answer to your questions ...

Yes ... I tried it twice. Tried it the first time, got the wierd result and I cleared my model and developed it from scratch a second time with the same problem.

I did notice one thing. For some reason, the first circle I drilled didn't cause any problems. Only when I drilled the second circle, I experienced the problem in both cases.

Also, I recall seeing a tutorial whereby the presenter removed the circle (n-gon) and he manually created 4-point polygons by hand. I tried this thinking it would solve the problem but it didn't.

It's interesting you came up with a similar but little different problem.

Tim