PDA

View Full Version : Work in Latitude and Longitude instead of feet?

3Dswade
12-14-2009, 05:20 PM
I created a terrain model with 481 trees (Yes its a nightmare) for a Fire Recreation. Each tree has a GPS location in real life (or real dead in this case). I need each tree to match the actual GPS location. Is there a way to work in Lat. and Long. instead of feet or miles or set the 0,0 of the grid to specific numbers.

Thanks for any help!
:help: Swade

Lightwolf
12-14-2009, 05:37 PM
Quick answer: No.

Long answer with a bit of trickery yes, but not practicable on a smallish terrain.

I.e. for a complete globe you could put a null as a parent for every item at the centre of the globe, use the lat/long to rotate said null, and then move the item to the surface.
You might have to convert the lat/long degrees from the degree/minute/second to decimals degress though.

On thing I'd do: calculate the distance per degree second (which I presume is the smallest digit you have), write all position down in a spreadsheet, find one in a corner of the terrain (or just use a corner of the terrain itself), then find out the difference in seconds along lat/long for every other tree to the initial one.
Then you "just" need to multiply that with your distance per second and you're set.

It could probably be handled with a motion modifier script or plugin, but it would require so much information per positioned item that you might as well calculate the stuff once yourself.

Cheers,
Mike

Mike_RB
12-14-2009, 05:48 PM
I would convert all your lat longs to MGRS. It's based on 1km grids divided into.. .guess what? 100m sections, then 10m sections then 1m sections. You might even be able to find an online calculator to do this.

Booyah, there you go:

http://www.arsitech.com/mapping/mgrs/

I'd look up how to read MGRS, it's not that tough but you need to understand the whole eastings/northings and the pricision stuff.

Twisted_Pixel
12-14-2009, 08:01 PM
Using something like MapInfo would be ideal for placing the trees. Then export as dxf.
Not sure if there is a demo available or how restricted it would be if available, but I use it all the time at work for use in ACAD.

3Dswade
12-15-2009, 09:40 AM
Thanks Guys, Loads of help. If it wasn't for this forum we would be screwed. If you call Newtek Support you get no were. But this forum has saved my butt more times. Thanks to all the Masters out there for taking the time help us brain dead masses!