PDA

View Full Version : Broadcast graphic for displaying website

Serling
12-14-2009, 08:40 AM
Cooked this up over the weekend: it's a means by which to display 1024 x 768 web pages as part of a project I'm working on. The front monitor has a mask with an alpha so that web pages can be composited into it. The rear "monitor tree" rotates 360 degrees over 10 seconds. I used a single spotlight on front monitor and 3 volumetric spots on monitor tree.

Floor (extruded edge) has 20% reflection and is part of a quarter dome I created as a backdrop.

I used perspective camera with 4-pass AA and AS of .01. Total render time on an Intel 2.83 GHz Quad Core with 8 GB RAM and Vista 64: 3 hours 5 minutes (volumetric lighting accounting for most of that).

Hoping this will be used for opening shot (about 4 seconds) and for transitions (zooming video into and out of front monitor).

Serling
12-14-2009, 09:08 AM
Added image here showing volumetric lighting in upper right portion of screen.

I use green when modeling something like this (have done several other types of these "monitor animations" that we use on air) because I apply the mask for the key in Combustion 4 and it makes it much easier to see the boundary between green and black when drawing the masks. (Couldn't chroma key this one out due to small amounts of green in background images.)

Serling
12-14-2009, 09:53 PM
Discovered a problem with rotating lights passing through part of the backdrop, so am rerendering. Will post new pic when render complete.

Serling
12-17-2009, 11:32 AM
Fixed clipping issue. Sepia version will be going to air for project. :)

Soth
03-16-2010, 05:30 AM
not too bad :)

is it interlaced? why?

Serling
03-25-2010, 03:51 AM
not too bad :)

is it interlaced? why?

Thank you. Interlaced due to American NTSC/ATSC standards. Beyond that, I've never gotten temporally smooth animations for interlaced broadcast using progressive renders. The animations always end up looking "jerky."

Eventually we will be broadcasting in 720p, but for now have to live with 480i. :(

Nangleator
03-25-2010, 08:57 AM
The floor might benefit from some reflection blur, but it would cost render time.