PDA

View Full Version : Need help with an effect

Traveler
12-14-2009, 06:01 AM
Hi,

I have to reproduce a certain effect, for a project I'm working on. It's a spinning cube which opens up slightly revealing a bright light. (see attachement)

I have tried to make two cubes where the inner cube has 100% luminosity and a heavy glow effect. It sort of works but it lacks the volumetric quality.
I've also tried to use volumetric lights, but the result was even worse.

I was wondering if there are any other ideas I could try

Thanks,

biliousfrog
12-14-2009, 06:05 AM
Do you have any post/compositing software?...I'd go with After Effects personally.

Traveler
12-14-2009, 06:13 AM
Good point. I'm afraid I do not have that option,though. It has to be a LW solution.

oobievision
12-14-2009, 06:24 AM
ahh I would suggest model the beams of lights with some motion blur and set luminosity well over a hundred I think u can achieve it.

lwaddict
12-14-2009, 07:10 AM
A combination of glow and volumetrics is the way to go BUT...

for the best possible control over it all,
you'll need to do some after the fact layering and tweaking while comping the final piece in something (ie Vegas, Premiere, AFX, SOMETHING).

Otherwise you're looking at testing, testing, testing, testing, and wasting a lot of time.

JohnMarchant
12-14-2009, 07:29 AM
2 Boxes and volumetric light. Outer box red animated. Inner box white glowing, volumetric light inside for the volumetric effect, or use geometry with transparency and falloff for the volumetric.

Traveler
12-14-2009, 07:41 AM
Thanks alot guys :)

I have made some progress. I used a morph on both the outer as well as inner cube. I looks slightly better now. I still cant get the volum. lights to work right (the beam doesnt appear to respect the outer cube and goes right through it). I'll try and see if I can get some fake lighting using geometry as John suggested.

ps. added a clip of the current version.

FredyN
12-14-2009, 07:47 AM
may be this helps you :)

Traveler
12-14-2009, 07:59 AM
That looks great! Going to check out how you did that :thumbsup:

oobievision
12-14-2009, 09:02 AM
another thing u could try is animate the scaling of the whitecube as the red box opens up