PDA

View Full Version : Master's Programs in 3D

Skinner3D
12-13-2009, 05:28 PM
First of all, has anybody heard of / been through the NYU SCPS Digital Imaging and Design program? Does anybody know what modeling software they use?

Secondly, does anybody know of any other universities that are offering masters studies in 3D modeling? I am looking into options for the next part of my life :)
I tried looking for the above programs, but it is hard since every single time that I have seen something like this it has been under a completely different title.

SplineGod
12-13-2009, 09:29 PM
Whats your ulimate goal? Do you want to get a degree or learn to model well? In all the years Ive worked in this business not one studio ever asked me if I had a degree. They only cared about two things:
Referrels by other artists
Demo reel.

Silkrooster
12-13-2009, 10:35 PM
First of all, has anybody heard of / been through the NYU SCPS Digital Imaging and Design program? Does anybody know what modeling software they use?

Secondly, does anybody know of any other universities that are offering masters studies in 3D modeling? I am looking into options for the next part of my life :)
I tried looking for the above programs, but it is hard since every single time that I have seen something like this it has been under a completely different title.

What ever you decide, good luck...

Skinner3D
12-14-2009, 11:33 AM
Whats your ulimate goal? Do you want to get a degree or learn to model well? In all the years Ive worked in this business not one studio ever asked me if I had a degree. They only cared about two things:
Referrels by other artists
Demo reel.

Totally agreed. I know that having a degree is useless in this field. I just want to learn as much as I can about this software. I have tried doing tutorials, but you can't ask them questions and I don't seem to learn as well from them. They also don't give you any sort of referrals, of which I currently have none :D

DAVE school is on the list of places that I will go eventually. I am just seeing what is available for the mean time.

AdamAvenali
12-14-2009, 11:38 AM
i also plan on getting my masters (in graphic design or 3D, i havent decided yet) but the only reason is because i eventually want to teach at the college level.

i can tell you from my research that most places i have found doing an MFA in those two fields are usually private schools such as SCAD. i would estimate the average cost to be 20-40k per year.

in my research i have not seen a program centered just around modeling though, it usually has VFX or Animation as the title.

Tom Wood
12-14-2009, 11:57 AM
i would estimate the average cost to be 20-40k per year.

A friend's son ran up a huge student debt at one of those places, over 100K. He was going to strike it rich creating the next big video game. I think he's flipping burgers and mom & dad are stuck with the bill.

AdamAvenali
12-14-2009, 12:13 PM
A friend's son ran up a huge student debt at one of those places, over 100K. He was going to strike it rich creating the next big video game. I think he's flipping burgers and mom & dad are stuck with the bill.

i can definitely see that happening. as far as SCAD is concerned for design, it was going to be around $66,000 for eLearning (online from home) or $81,000 for actually going to Savannah and paying to live and eat there. that is for a two year MFA.

rednova
12-14-2009, 03:07 PM
@ Splinegod
-They only cared about two things:
-Referrels by other artists
-Demo reel.

Hi:

Splinegod, I really appreciate your advice.
I want to specialize into character modeling and animation.
I am planning in studying your complete character series and also
Todd Grimes's.
I decided instead of going to school, to work hard at my character skills
using your -splinegod- 3d workshop. My plan is to work really hard and study
the best possible tutorials.
Thank you !!!

rednova

SplineGod
12-14-2009, 04:15 PM
Thanks Senor Nova! :)

I would suggest that if you plan to go to school to not focus on
3d specficially but on design and artistic skills that will allow you