PDA

View Full Version : Finally a color-calibrated display

Rayek
12-12-2009, 06:37 PM
For the past ten years I always thought I could get by without a decent hardware colour calibration tool to calibrate my displays - and now my wife bought me a Spyder Elite for Xmas. I did not expect that much, but OMGs, what a difference this makes - you have to experience the change to really appreciate it. I never knew. Renders look much better, gone is the overall red colour cast. Blue skies look, well, BLUE. No more over-saturated colours....

Anyone here with similar experiences? Even working in Lightwave and Blender is much easier on the eyes now. A true balanced grey palette makes quite the difference.

The only thing I regret is not getting one years ago - I just did not want to spend any money on it. Crazy, since I do spend a lot of money on good wide colour gamut screens.

shrox
12-12-2009, 06:38 PM
How does it work, does the user make the adjustments or is it automatic?

Rayek
12-12-2009, 07:18 PM
It was completely automatic - a wizard guides you through the process, and tells you when you need to place the colorimeter on the display. It then took about 4 minutes to do its magic, and that was all. I hear re-calibration only takes at most 2 minutes.

I did look at other options, such as X-Rite, Huey, and so on, but finally opted for the Spyder3Elite.

For a description of the process, read this review:
http://photo.net/equipment/color-calibration/datacolor-spyder3-elite/

JBT27
12-13-2009, 02:25 AM
Yeah, I'll second this.

Same thinking, same prevaricating for years but ultimately not bothering, until middle of last year I started using two monitors side by side for the same work, working in LW and AE.

Bit of a revelation, to put it mildly ..... I'd have to say the monitors weren't seriously 'off' anyway - that usual subjective thing where the image was acceptable, but using the SpyderElite3 made life a whole lot easier and a little more confident on the colour front.

I particularly like it will calibrate two or more monitors to be the same, basing the calibration on the lowest common denominator. That kicked in another issue for me - a new monitor and an older one ..... once I saw the difference between the new one and what I'd been working with for awhile ..... yep, I went and bought a second identical new one.

Not like money's tight and the economy's crap or anything ..... geez :D

But, I would highly recommend this as well - haven't tried the others, but calibration and maintenance with the Spyder is a doddle.

Julian.

Red_Oddity
12-13-2009, 02:52 AM
Does the monitor store the LUT/ICC (like the NEC monitors do) or is it managed by software, because if it is managed by software you still must remember that you NEED color managed software (like the Adobe suites or LW with SG CCTools) to see the colors the way they are suppose to be.
It is a common misconception that calibrating the monitor and writing out a ICC profile is enough, it helps, but it is still not enough.

Just a heads up, as i'm not sure how many people know this.

And IMHO you did make the best choice for the price, as the X-Rite is an excellent calibration device.

JBT27
12-13-2009, 03:13 AM
Right, so I'll admit now you've pointed that out that I probably am/or maybe was a bit niave on this one.

The Spyder does manage it with software, but that said, my AE work is colour managed within CS4 - spent quite a bit of time this summer pinning that down and getting my head around it after some output went pear-shaped(ish), and likewise I do use the SG CCTools.

But again, this is still one area where I have enough doubts to nag me about what the heck I'm doing some days :)

Probably shouldn't admit that, really :D

Julian.

COBRASoft
12-13-2009, 04:31 AM
I have a Spider 2. I'm very happy with it, but heard great things about Spider 3. I think I'll ask Santa to bring me one :)

shrox
12-13-2009, 09:06 AM
I have read that the suction cup models are not good for flat screens with the soft membrane. The cups can press slightly against the screen enough to make those distortions, like when you press your finger against it.

radams
12-13-2009, 09:34 AM
I have read that the suction cup models are not good for flat screens with the soft membrane. The cups can press slightly against the screen enough to make those distortions, like when you press your finger against it.

Hi Shrox,

Glad to see you landed on your feet!
As for the suction cup thing...

You don't attach it via the cup...you let it hang on the screen.

I would also suggest that besides the spyder 3...you should look at
the eye 1 display 2

http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=788

This puck is also used for more advanced calibration solutions.
Such as cinespace...
http://www.cine-tal.com/products/cinespace.asp

and is also supported by other video specific calibration software.

Cheers,

COBRASoft
09-06-2011, 12:48 PM
I'm getting this old thread out of the closet. I've bought a LaCie Blue Eye Pro. It's great and provides an interesting report as well.

Has any1 an idea how to get better results for high delta values on gray?

Red_Oddity
09-07-2011, 06:38 AM
I'm getting this old thread out of the closet. I've bought a LaCie Blue Eye Pro. It's great and provides an interesting report as well.

Has any1 an idea how to get better results for high delta values on gray?

Depends on the monitor it seems, the cheap sRGB U2311H Dell's can be easily calibrated to an average deltaE below 0.4, which is really good.

My advice, keep tweaking, i think that's pretty much all you can do (try different targets might help, 6500K with 120 cd/m2 seems to do the trick for us.)

COBRASoft
09-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Thanks! Well, I have an u2711 and currently it has 0.2 deltaE avg and 0.7 deltaE max. This max is mostly some gray parts. Please see attached report from the Blue Eye, perhaps you can give some extra pointers.

Red_Oddity
09-08-2011, 04:48 AM
Not at work right now, but i think we have a 24 inch Dell that show the same characteristics, still haven't figured it out what is causing it, but the grey's on the 24xx compared to the 2311's are still off (even visually perceptive, which is bad), all 2311 monitors do have the same grey though.
Question is of course, which monitor is right, we're still tweaking as we did a massive system cleanup a couple of weeks ago and reinstalled all systems fresh, so everything needs to be re-calibrated, which takes a god awful lot of time.

As for the grey levels on your monitor, i have no idea how to tweak that, it doesn't help that all OSDs on the monitors (even if all are from the same manufacturer) differ greatly, so most of the times tweaks that work on one monitor won't work on another series monitor.

I'm thinking about inviting a friend of mine who is a professional color grader who owns a couple of different color measurement and calibration tools for his suite (some i certainly can't afford), see what he makes of it.