PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #68 - DeBonders

Nangleator
12-11-2009, 02:15 PM
Rules:

1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.
3. LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

Lightwave Speed Modeling Group

This week's topic: DeBonders

Intruder Alert! There's a super spy in your lair and he's headed to your throne room, or laboratory, or evil conference room, or wherever you're hiding. You can't trust your stupid henchmen to kill him. So, design something that will eradicate him once and for all! Show us your diabolical devices or machinery that kills super spies. Crushing ceilings, trap doors, flaming pits, shark tanks, exploding cigars, etc.

Time Limit - 60 minutes.

Deadline - Friday 18th December 2200 hrs GMT

AdamAvenali
12-11-2009, 03:24 PM
sharks with frickin' laser beams on their head? :D

oobievision
12-11-2009, 03:34 PM
this sounds like fun

Nangleator
12-11-2009, 06:07 PM
sharks with frickin' laser beams on their head? :D
Oh, yes!

oobievision
12-11-2009, 07:58 PM
45mins modeling, hidden wall turrets.

Nangleator
12-11-2009, 08:03 PM
Aah, lovely modern architecture. Feels like an early Brosnan period.

Impressive caliber, too!

OnlineRender
12-11-2009, 08:09 PM
nice subject choice , I need to win this so the challenge can be Naughty santa :)

colkai
12-12-2009, 04:23 AM
sweet concept oobievision. :)

OnlineRender
12-12-2009, 07:41 AM
http://www.erplc.com/uploads/image_bank/trapdoor_hl.jpg

Would this count " only thing I can think of trapdoor " :D

Nangleator
12-12-2009, 09:46 AM
The wall turrets are so much fun!

I have a feeling some of these entries would make good animations.

oobievision
12-12-2009, 03:54 PM
I got board here on Saturday ahh this took about 50 mins based on a game Portal! Kinda screwed up the geometry but Oh well.

danielkaiser
12-13-2009, 02:33 AM
I got board here on Saturday ahh this took about 50 mins based on a game Portal! Kinda screwed up the geometry but Oh well.

There is no cake!

chco2
12-13-2009, 03:03 AM
I thought I'd go for the classic approach ;)

http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/anvill.png

Iain
12-13-2009, 10:29 AM
Really good entries already folks :thumbsup:

Great topic Nangleator :)

Nangleator
12-13-2009, 11:50 AM
Yeah, this is a blast! Can't wait to do something myself. Since I don't qualify, I may bust up the 60-minute limit, too.

chco2, that's a low-tech death trap, but just as effective!

oobie, "Is anyone there?" Those damn turrets made my day while playing that game.

chco2
12-14-2009, 08:18 AM
Yeah :-) However, before they get to my door, they have to get through the hallway :-)

http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/no_entry.png

Took about 50m of modeling and 2 hours of texturing. Took 4 mins to render.

chco2, that's a low-tech death trap, but just as effective!

Nangleator
12-14-2009, 09:21 AM
Ew. Reminds me of this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXgsCPFhSgc)

AdamAvenali
12-14-2009, 09:54 AM
Evil Ball Pit :D

Modeling - 35 minutes
Dynamics - 60 minutes
Light/Render - 50 minutes

oobievision
12-14-2009, 10:01 AM

I was contemplating making that lol:D

chco2
12-14-2009, 10:08 AM
Oww.. very nice scene :)

Nangleator
12-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Hah! A perfect distraction if your nemesis is Stewie Griffin!

OnlineRender
12-14-2009, 10:41 AM

Modeling - 35 minutes
Dynamics - 60 minutes
Light/Render - 50 minutes

Dude your sick , I wanna play in that ! ,but i do think it needs large SPIKES on the walls or even a texture of Bill Gates :D

OnlineRender
12-14-2009, 12:45 PM
not seen Richard hope all is well ?

Nangleator
12-14-2009, 01:29 PM
Heh heh heh, Mr. Bond... I am just through that last door. Why do you hesitate, Mr. Bond? Heh heh heh. (Purring noises.)

R.Feeney
12-14-2009, 04:38 PM
not seen Richard hope all is well ?

If thats me, I am a bit unwell but still in one piece :)

Nangleator
12-14-2009, 06:13 PM
Take care, Richard!

colkai
12-15-2009, 02:21 AM
Indeed, take it easy my friend. :)

R.Feeney
12-15-2009, 06:45 AM
Not to worry, I think I have already hit bottom and am on my way back up :thumbsup:

Thanks guys

OnlineRender
12-15-2009, 07:23 AM
Not to worry, I think I have already hit bottom and am on my way back up :thumbsup:

Thanks guys

See if you kick the bucket can I get your copy of LW :D kiddin dude hope all is well and you bounce back quick .

R.Feeney
12-15-2009, 07:35 AM
Unfortunately for you its not fatal, just chronic and progressive
But I`ll be sure to amend my will.......... :D

OnlineRender
12-15-2009, 07:47 AM
damn....:thumbsup:
------------------------
That's what I like about the Irish , good sence of humor , kinda like us Scot's

But I`ll be sure to amend my will.......... :D

colkai
12-15-2009, 08:35 AM
Not to derail our challenge but It's not MS is it?
Just askin' as the da missus is a sufferer and after 15 years finally got a confirmed diagnosis last year.

Lest ye forget, a good whisky for medication is in order, cures all ills. :D :D

Edit: Of course, speaking to a Celt about whisky is likened unto grandmas and egg sucking. :p

R.Feeney
12-15-2009, 09:03 AM
No, I have CRPS - Complex Regional Pain Syndrome, also known as Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome, Causalgia, Sudeck's Atrophy, sympathetic neural dystrophy and about a dozen other names.
Its like a short circuit in parts of the nerve system, the signals for pain have jumped from the normal system to a secondary system, which then gets stuck in a loop informing the brain over and over that an injury has just happened. Then the brain sends out instructions to reduce blood flow to the "injury" which over time results in more damage that starts it all over again.
Pain killers dont work due to the short circuit so it just takes time to get used to any change in pain levels before I can get on with other things.
It also has knock on effects on other parts, the optic nerve sometimes goes a bit odd and I cant see clearly, blood pressure goes sky high and so on.

Lots more than anyone wanted to know there I think :)

The whiskey doesn't go too well with some of the drugs I am on, still an odd glass of it goes down well. :D

chco2
12-15-2009, 09:55 AM
Damn Richard, that is a lot to deal with just to get through the day.
I had a wiplash two years ago in a caraccident (from the side) and every couple of days I still need to swallow musclerelaxers and painkillers, but at least they work for me. Can't imagine what you are going through on a "bad" day.
One thing I found out though.. Whiskey is a musclerelaxer as well ;) and although I am not allowed to mix the meds and whiskey, the meds go down really well with a small glass, hehe. I'm now at a state that I have to drink a whiskey when I swallow the meds, otherwise it is not as effective, go figure ;) (all in the mind I guess).

Anyhows Richard, hope Christmas will at least be a bit less painfull, so you can enjoy it to the full!!

chco2
12-15-2009, 09:59 AM
Just curious.. how old are you guys (here at the speedchallenge)?

AdamAvenali
12-15-2009, 10:03 AM

26 as of Nov. 1 :)

Nangleator
12-15-2009, 10:05 AM
47. No serious health problems to report. Just the slow-motion horror of feeling my systems deteriorate with age.

OnlineRender
12-15-2009, 10:18 AM
26 as of Sept :)

I've spoke to you before about this Richard , and again I wish you all the best , My Wife's father has MS although for years they put it down to ME or yuppieflu as some people call it ! Things are getting worse , small strokes "maybe 3 a year " slowly kill of what is him , Thing like his food now need to get blended ,just because instead of going into your stomach it goes straight down your air pipe , his teeth are rotten due to the amount of pills , although he did get a nice electric wheel chair " 3 weeks ago he put it threw B&Q shop window , "his arm went into a spasm and he crashed" The only thing we could do is laugh , otherwise what else is there ?

GL

PEace

colkai
12-15-2009, 11:30 AM
No, I have CRPS - Complex Regional Pain Syndrome, also known as Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome, Causalgia, Sudeck's Atrophy, sympathetic neural dystrophy and about a dozen other names.
[email protected], that is beyond sucky!

Its like a short circuit in parts of the nerve system, the signals for pain have jumped from the normal system to a secondary system, which then gets stuck in a loop informing the brain over and over that an injury has just happened. Then the brain sends out instructions to reduce blood flow to the "injury" which over time results in more damage that starts it all over again.
Gawd, makes MS sound like a walk in the park, though my missus I am sure would whack me for saying that. :p

The whiskey doesn't go too well with some of the drugs I am on, still an odd glass of it goes down well. :D

Now see, that's just plain wrong, a man is entitled to enjoy his whisky.
That said, much of Jills' meds mean she has to tread very carefully, one even produces a "stoned out your mind" result if you touch drink within a certain time of taking it. Not the nice drunk neither.

Not too much info as far as I'm concerned, after all, we're friends here, got to know how your mates are faring! :)

Ahh, err, see, yup, 21, that's me, 21 (sounds of hysterical laughter from behind me). Err cough, ok, double that and add 7. :o ;)

chco2
12-15-2009, 12:30 PM
Funny.. it is either mid twenties or end fourties (47 is almost end of the fourties ;)) I'm stuck somewhere in the middle it seems, with my 38 years.

R.Feeney
12-15-2009, 01:18 PM
One thing I found out though.. Whiskey is a musclerelaxer as well ;) and although I am not allowed to mix the meds and whiskey, the meds go down really well with a small glass, hehe. I'm now at a state that I have to drink a whiskey when I swallow the meds, otherwise it is not as effective, go figure ;) (all in the mind I guess).

Anyhows Richard, hope Christmas will at least be a bit less painfull, so you can enjoy it to the full!!

I find orange juice is the easiest to get them down, whiskey and a handfull of tablets first thing in the morning would be a bit rough.
As for Christmas I have the vast majority of the cooking, baking and shopping done so plenty of time to rest up now. :)

"his arm went into a spasm and he crashed" The only thing we could do is laugh , otherwise what else is there ?

PEace
Yes, I have developed an odd, dark sense of humour to help deal with it.
:thumbsup:

[email protected], that is beyond sucky!

Gawd, makes MS sound like a walk in the park, though my missus I am sure would whack me for saying that. :p

I imagine she would :D
Have you seen this story about the Italian doctor who may have discovered a cure for at least one type of MS
http://www.gizmag.com/ccsvi-multiple-sclerosis-ms-cure-zamboni/13447/

Now see, that's just plain wrong, a man is entitled to enjoy his whisky.
That said, much of Jills' meds mean she has to tread very carefully, one even produces a "stoned out your mind" result if you touch drink within a certain time of taking it. Not the nice drunk neither.

Not too much info as far as I'm concerned, after all, we're friends here, got to know how your mates are faring! :)

Aye some of the meds can have really odd side effects, some of the hallucinations and nightmares they can bring on are rather disturbing.

Thanks for the good wished guys.
As for the age thing I am 38, old enough to know better and young enough not to care

Now returning you to your regularly scheduled programs

OnlineRender
12-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Now returning you to your regularly scheduled programs

Ye we are waiting on you hitting us with a render that makes us sick ! :D

R.Feeney
12-15-2009, 01:38 PM
Ye we are waiting on you hitting us with a render that makes us sick ! :D

Unlikely this week, I am lacking in inspiration these days despite the brilliant subject.

JohnMarchant
12-15-2009, 02:25 PM
I thought I'd go for the classic approach ;)

http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/anvill.png

Is that a grey jelly baby about to hit him on the head, hardly a spy killer :):):)

Iain
12-16-2009, 04:13 AM
NO! Not the cat!

Just under 50 minutes modelling for the laser and the table. The background is from a previous 'villain's lair' challenge.

colkai
12-16-2009, 04:55 AM
Much better than the version I did for my villans lair, darn it! :p

Nangleator
12-16-2009, 06:41 AM
Beats the pants of my Enscrogulator, too. The "laser" beam is a little dull, though. C'mon, we like silly bright glows on our evil scientist equipment!

colkai
12-16-2009, 06:54 AM
if you're an evil villain, you ain't doing your job unless your laser is on the edge of overloading surely? :D

OnlineRender
12-16-2009, 09:19 AM
NO! Not the cat!

Just under 50 minutes modelling for the laser and the table. The background is from a previous 'villain's lair' challenge.

AND your WINNER IS ....................

Nangleator
12-16-2009, 09:27 AM
http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/no_entry.png

Don't forget a wireframe of this, chco2!

chco2
12-16-2009, 12:13 PM
Yes you are right, forgot all about that.
Here are the two wires for my renders:

Anvill:
http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/anvill_wire.png

No Entry:
http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/no_entry_wire.png

JeffrySG
12-16-2009, 05:12 PM
These are all great entries! love em!

oobievision
12-17-2009, 03:53 PM
Resident Evil lazer room 45min modeling

Nangleator
12-17-2009, 04:05 PM
oobie, you machine! All that's missing is diced spec ops! :eek:

oobievision
12-17-2009, 04:36 PM
lol im working on it lol

Nangleator
12-18-2009, 06:55 PM
oobievision - Hidden wall turrets - An excellent way to kill a superspy! Nothing too complex in the model, yet there are a lot of pieces, including some hydraulic arm things. Excellent concept and render!

oobievision - Portal Style Turret - Great concept, and a little bit out of left field! I'm impressed with the detail of all the pieces and certainly the look of the render. The legs are gorgeous. Ambitious entry!

chco2 - Anvil on the Head - Funny concept and a twist on the theme. The door handle and hinges are nice. It's pretty good as a joke entry, much better than most of mine, but a bit too simple to win this week.

chco2 - Laser Hallway - Good concept and absolutely awesome render... The textures are great. The modeling seems very efficient and well thought out. Great job!

AdamAvenali - Ball Pit of Doom - Funny entry! Not clear how it's deadly, but I suppose that makes it a better trap than most. It's a daunting array of balls with a good color distribution. Although I see some clipping, I can't imagine how I'd do as well in the time given.

Nangleator - Disqualified! (The points fit perfectly into the sockets on the opposite wall, by the way.)

Iain - No, Mr. Bigglesworth, I Expect You to Die - Classic entry! Cool looking table, very efficient in geometry, yet good enough for a prop in television, at least. The "laser" has a nice degree of interesting gadget-ness about it, and the surfacing is perfect, except for the slightly dull "laser" beam. Very nice.

oobievision - Resident Evil Laser Room - Nice interpretation of the corridor! I'm not sure how I would have modeled that. No earth-shattering modeling, but nicely arranged, and the styling would fit with your hidden wall turrets!

Okay, good job all! It was a slow week, but had some great entries. I'll have to give it to oobievision for the Portal Style Turret. Special mention to chco2 for the Laser Hallway surfacing and rendering, and to Adam for the bizarre concept.

AdamAvenali
12-18-2009, 08:03 PM
congrats oobie! well deserved :thumbsup:

Ball Pit of Doom - Funny entry! Not clear how it's deadly, but I suppose that makes it a better trap than most. It's a daunting array of balls with a good color distribution. Although I see some clipping, I can't imagine how I'd do as well in the time given.

though it's not my best entry, i can say i probably learned the most with this one. i knew that placing the balls by hand would take forever and probably max out my time limit, so i decided it was good time to jump into dynamics. it was pretty straight forward trial and error learning haha. i basically built the room, placed all the balls in a grid above the room, turned on some gravity and let lightwave do the rest.

Nangleator
12-18-2009, 08:53 PM
Damn, that's a great time saving trick! I'd have guessed that setting up the hard dynamics would have taken longer than doing it by hand!

In my opinion, using Layout tricks to model is a great use of your tools.

oobievision
12-18-2009, 10:45 PM
Thanks everyone, Im shocked at this win Chco2 had a really nice model. thanks for the kind words.

chco2
12-19-2009, 01:28 AM
Thanks and congrats Oobievision. Nice model!
Thanks for the kind words Nangleator!

On to the next challenge ;)

Kuzey
12-19-2009, 04:58 AM
I enjoyed them all...great work everyone :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kuzey

Iain
12-19-2009, 12:57 PM
Well done oobievision!

I loved your corridor too, Nangleator:thumbsup:
Lots of really good entries!