PDA

View Full Version : Free Video Tutorials

SplineGod
09-02-2003, 11:22 PM
Just wanted to let anyone whos interested know that Ive got another 40 minutes of free tutorials up.
These three new ones show basic UV mapping, UV mapping a rail extruded convoluted tube and using an endomorph to get the effect of UV mapping.
Part1 (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/support/uvmapping_pt1.mov)
Part2 (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/support/uvmapping_pt2.mov)
Part3 (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/support/endo_mapping_pt3.mov)
I havent updated my free video tutorials page with these yet.
If you want to see more free ones go to:
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/support/sampler.htm
Enjoy! :)

riki
09-02-2003, 11:57 PM
Thanks larry that's very cool.

SplineGod
09-03-2003, 12:15 AM
Thanks Riki,
Im hoping someone can tell me if they work :)

riki
09-03-2003, 12:21 AM
How big are the files? I might have to download them overnight. Just on a dialup here.

Mylenium
09-03-2003, 12:23 AM
Hi Larry, nice stuff! Finally Support for LW is getting close to what competitors have to offer for free. First Lee and now you. That's just too good to be true! Personally I never understood why there is such a big market for software training since many courses only teach things that are in the manuals anyways. It's nice of you LW heroes to be a bit more forthcoming on that part.

Mylenium

SplineGod
09-03-2003, 12:27 AM
Hey Thanks!
Actually Ive had free ones up for awhile :)
That one I have on splines has been up for at least a couple of years. Im also doing some rearranging and that will mean some more vids will be available. Right now Ive got over 2 hours of free stuff up. :)

archiea
09-03-2003, 01:26 AM
__
|\
\
\
\
I like this head ....

Kinda remind me of some dude with a lisp and major impulse problems, in particular regarding rings....

:D

omeone
09-03-2003, 02:06 AM
thanks splinegod, dl'ing now :)

Mylenium, maybe you havn't seen Digiwonk.com, he has hours of free and very in depth video tutes too.

comanche
09-03-2003, 03:38 AM
UV mapping tutorials for free? That's so much appreciated. Thanks a lot, Larry! I will DL them as soon as I'm at home this evening.

Cheers,
Andreas

hrgiger
09-03-2003, 06:42 AM
Thanks Larry. Always looking for more tutorials and info on UV's and texturing.

Bones_3DFC
09-03-2003, 08:34 AM
Hello.
It's always great to get tutorials!
I DL all 3 (I feel guilty - I could be a mirror).
Tutorials like these are great - even if you think you know the content - these give you a chance to see someone else do the things you do (not easy if you do not work with other Lightwavers).

For me - and this could be on my end but I thought I'd let you know - UV part 1 freezes almost halfway through. If I try to scrub past the freeze, it gives a white screen for a moment and then picks up. Audio remains in tact at all times.
Just thought you might need to check it but like I said,
this could be a problem on my end? ? ?

Thanks for these! :)

anieves
09-03-2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by SplineGod
Thanks Riki,
Im hoping someone can tell me if they work :)

They work:cool:

omeone
09-03-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Bones_3DFC
For me - and this could be on my end but I thought I'd let you know - UV part 1 freezes almost halfway through. If I try to scrub past the freeze, it gives a white screen for a moment and then picks up. Audio remains in tact at all times.
Just thought you might need to check it but like I said,
this could be a problem on my end? ? ?

Thanks for these! :)

confirmed here too, freezes at 8:30 and resumes at 10:00

PC
Matrox G550 (yeah, I know :rolleyes: )
QT5

anieves
09-03-2003, 10:25 AM
yep, part 1 freezes you can scrub and the audio works fine but the video is a no go.

SplineGod
09-03-2003, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys!
Ill see about getting it uploaded properly. :)

mattclary
09-03-2003, 11:02 AM
Larry, thanks for all the freebies! I swear one of these days I will move some money from my wallet to yours, just have to figure out the right time to fly it past the little lady. :)

SplineGod
09-03-2003, 11:51 AM
LOL, Matt...
I get around that by "allowing" the wife to fly some past me. ;)
No worries though...I have some things almost done that will be pretty affordable. Right now the freebies are the right price for some and it gives a good idea of what the rest is like. :)
BTW have you had any troubles viewing the movies? I have to upload them via a dialup and every so often one or two get corrupted in the process.

mattclary
09-03-2003, 01:42 PM
Oh, we're planning a trip to Orlando specifically to look for some Jimmy Choo shoes, but that probably covers my recent upgrade to 7.5 and the spanking new machine to run it! ;) Haven't watched all the videos yet, but from what I've seen, they seem OK to me.

DarkLight
09-03-2003, 04:09 PM
Hi Larry,

Same problem with the first video here as everyone else. Quicktime player 6.3.

You're uploading on a dialup? That must take forever to upload these videos!

SplineGod
09-03-2003, 06:39 PM
The do! When I have time I let a friend of lives within range of Timewarner Cable to do it. Cables not quite here yet...within a couple of miles. So yes, I set the modem to stun and let it go at night :)
Did you just try the one I sent up to replace the first one?

robinson
09-03-2003, 10:56 PM
Los Angeles and no cable ? :p

Ok Larry the first video is working now, thanxs again ! :)

SplineGod
09-03-2003, 11:12 PM
Hey, it happens! I lived in Burbank awhile back right smack in the bermuda traingle for hi speed access. It was this sweet spot right in the middle of 3 areas where this one spot was just too far away from the nearest anything to get anything.
I used to have cable and man Im dying! :)
Glad its workng though. :)

SplineGod
09-03-2003, 11:56 PM
BTW Im going to be uploading any freebies to this link in the future: http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/support

DarkLight
09-04-2003, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by SplineGod
The do! When I have time I let a friend of lives within range of Timewarner Cable to do it. Cables not quite here yet...within a couple of miles. So yes, I set the modem to stun and let it go at night :)
Did you just try the one I sent up to replace the first one?

I'm not sure which one i tried, i'll re-download it and see if it works now.

I know how you feel about the cable, i can't get it here yet either. I use ISDN at the moment, it's not as good as cable but it's better than a modem.

DarkLight
09-04-2003, 02:19 AM
There still seems to be a problem with the video. It's causing quicktime to crash at 7:57.

Anyone else getting this?

Karmacop
09-04-2003, 05:26 AM
yep, there's stil la problem dark ilght .. as far as I can tell.

Also Larry, a discontinuous uv map is when points have more than one uv location. Unwelding the polygons as you've shown is nothing special. When you weld the ponits at the end THEN they become discontinuous uvs. But other than that, very nice tutorials and thanks for your time doing these :)

grundgedanke
09-04-2003, 06:20 AM
hi,
i have trouble downloading these vids. it stop in about the middle of the download. what about a european mirror? i would spent some space on my server if you would like. i also would deisgn a nice page for that (with link to your site).

if you want to take a look:

www.stefanbrink.de

Karmacop
09-04-2003, 06:48 AM
Get getright ( www.getright.com ) or something to resume downloading of stopped downloads

grundgedanke
09-04-2003, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by Karmacop
Get getright ( www.getright.com ) or something to resume downloading of stopped downloads

yes, i know that tool. thanks anyway. just was wondering why this happens. not one time but about 10 times now.

and having a mirror for europe would truely be fine.

mattclary
09-04-2003, 08:23 AM
I've had problems with Larry's site in the past, where the download would just peter off into limbo. If I kept cancelling and restarting, it would do a little more each time. Didn't have the problem with the most recent videos. Yeah, download accelerators seem to help this problem a lot.

riki
09-04-2003, 09:30 AM
I'm not sure which version I have?? but same deal freeze in the middle of number 1.

SLAYER
09-04-2003, 06:06 PM
Larry,
This is great, the sections in the course on UV's is excellent, and the 3 new vids you posted on line about UVs are superb!

My problems that I am trying to figure out are sort of an expansion on these. I understand the weight map for blending now, but what about Alphas. How is this done with alphas?

All of these examples have been with procedurals so this has been easy to blend, but how about if it were a bit trickier. An example would be scales. Take for instance in the course where you blend the top of the head map with the other head map. What if this were a demon or dragon head and you had drawn a bunch of scales in PS? How do you blend stuff like this?

Say you have a cube like a brifcase that you wanted wrapped in scaly snakeskin and you wanted the scales to flow seamles?

Also, How do you do anything with ATLAS mapping? Would you use Atlas mapping for what I posted above. I have seen Atlas mapping applied to such things as a dinosaur and it comes out with 1000 random chunks which is turned into a work of art with texturing. How is this?

Also, I do not understand fully about applying text onto models. Text like a sticker/decal.

Perhaps you could do a vid on these questions as a continuation of your UV vids that you recently posted?

Thanks,

Joby

Karmacop
09-04-2003, 06:37 PM
When doing uv maps for complex objects you should either hand edit the entire uv map, maek an endo moreph and had edit that then make a uv map from it, or sut the object into sections that'll work well with the standard uv map types. eg with a human model I'd cut off their arms and legs and use a cylindrical map for them. Then I'd cut off the head and use a sherical map for them. Then I'd do a planar map for the cheast and another for the back. These are just examples but I hope you understand. Once you've made all of these stick them together in one uv map and position them so they take up less room and are easy to texture. Also make sure they are in proportion to themselves.

I think the art of the uv map is getting it somewhere between being in one piece so it's easy to texture with no noticable seems, and being completely split apart with no texture stretching or distortion. Since we're human though you should try and keep pieces together as much as possible.

SplineGod
09-04-2003, 09:09 PM
Another way is to apply your UV maps to part of a head for example. You then can position your camera and focus onto the area that has no texture yet. Render a high rez image which you can use as a template to match up the edges of the textured area with the edges of the blank area. Once youre done you can crop to what was the blank area and map that.