PDA

View Full Version : LWCAD Wall Tool crashes 9.6

cohominous
12-09-2009, 08:21 AM
I'm running LW 9.6 32 bit version (build 1539) with LWCAD 3 UB. Without fail, every time I use the wall tool, LW crashes.

Has anyone else experienced this, or even better - has anyone got a solution?

JohnMarchant
12-09-2009, 08:32 AM
Shoot off an email to Viktor he will probably fix it for you. Im on PC and works fine but had some problems in the beta stages with Fences etc

CGI Addict
12-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Had the same issues (with LWCad and 9.6 on Mac)) and Viktor tried very hard to resolve to no avail. I've now got a LWCad license that is now useless. I decided not to upgrade to 3 based on this issue. Recently purchased Modo 401 which does most of what LWCad can do.

2.5 still continues to work fine in 9.3 but I rarely use it now that I've got Modo.

Hope you get some help.

PeterStewart
12-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Hi,

I had the same problem a short while back, problem is I can't remember exactly how I fixed it. I can't remember if there is some sort of settings file that can be deleted, or maybe I just reinstalled the plugin, it was along those lines.

If I remember correctly I had a similar problem with the roof tool, crashed whenever i tried to use it, but fixed in the same way.

Peter

BigHache
12-10-2009, 07:26 PM
cohominous, are you using LWCAD 3.0, 3.1, or 3.5? And are you running LW UB or PPC?

With OS X 10.5.8, LW 9.6 UB (build 1539), and LWCAD 3.5 I do not experience the issue you've described.

I was able to repeat a crash with a LWCAD tool in the 9.6 Open Beta while having the Numeric panel open, but that's the only issue I've run into as of yet with LWCAD.

OlaHaldor
12-11-2009, 02:55 AM
I experienced some random crashes with Wall tool using LWCAD 3 when it was released. In 3.5 I have no crashes from Wall tool, but Trim and Bool is kind of tricky..

cohominous
12-11-2009, 09:58 AM
BigHache, I'm running LWCAD 3.0 in LW UB under OS X 10.4.11

I guess I'll try updating to 3.5

I'll keep you posted

BigHache
12-11-2009, 11:25 AM
LWCAD 3.5 requires OS X 10.5 or higher. Try the 3.1 updater and let us know.

Larry_g1s
12-17-2009, 11:18 AM
Recently purchased Modo 401 which does most of what LWCad can do.Uh, not hardly. Just because it has snapping and wall tool, doesn't count as "most of what LWCAD" can do. ;) But considering you didn't get to dive in to LWCAD, for the reason's you stated, I can see why you'd think that.

I can't speak for the Mac version of LWCAD 3.5, but on the PC end, this has by far been the most stable version of LWCAD to date. For those that are having trouble with anything earlier then that version, I'd highly recommend updating/upgrading.

CGI Addict
12-17-2009, 12:12 PM
I'm referring to v2.5 exclusively. Haven't tried latest versions but looking at v3.5 I can seriously agree with you Larry. I am reluctant to drop more cash only to have it not work, as I stated in my earlier post Viktor did the best he cold to try a fix for me to avail. He couldn't re-issue me clean license and so I'm stuck with a nice app (plug-in) that doesn't work.

That coupled with other frustrations in LW had me looking at Modo 401. I love working in it but I'm not trying to start another app vs. app war. Modo takes care of what LWCad 2.5 was doing for me. 3.5, now that's another story, it looks extremely worthwhile so long as it works properly on a Mac.

Anyone have videos showing what 3.5 is capable of? I didn't see anything on the wTools site.

Larry_g1s
12-17-2009, 12:19 PM
I'm referring to v2.5 exclusively. Haven't tried latest versions but looking at v3.5 I can seriously agree with you Larry. I am reluctant to drop more cash only to have it not work, as I stated in my earlier post Viktor did the best he cold to try a fix for me to avail. He couldn't re-issue me clean license and so I'm stuck with a nice app (plug-in) that doesn't work.

That coupled with other frustrations in LW had me looking at Modo 401. I love working in it but I'm not trying to start another app vs. app war. Modo takes care of what LWCad 2.5 was doing for me. 3.5, now that's another story, it looks extremely worthwhile so long as it works properly on a Mac.

Anyone have videos showing what 3.5 is capable of? I didn't see anything on the wTools site.I gotcha. That's why I said, your comment was understandable based upon the limited usability you had with LWCAD. And like I also said, my estimate of 3.5's amazing stability is based on PC version not a Mac. So it'd be nice to see what Mac users of 3.5 would have to say.

Here is a link to some of the new features in 3.x & 3.5 from the site: http://www.wtools3d.com/manual/manual3/

CGI Addict
12-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Thanks for link! I read that Viktor may be implementing LWCad for Modo in the future. That would be great news if it turns out.

Larry_g1s
12-17-2009, 12:51 PM
Thanks for link! I read that Viktor may be implementing LWCad for Modo in the future. That would be great news if it turns out.Where did you read that? Having spoke with him enough, not only have I not got any indication of that, but an conversation in that realm have all been quite the opposite of porting LWCAD to any competing application. :stumped:
That and from what I understand Modo doesn't have much of an SDK & he's already committed to produce LWCAD for Core.

CGI Addict
12-17-2009, 01:13 PM
Here's the quote from a fellow Modo user:

Great stuff ! (referring to LWCad)

absolutely worth to have a close look at.
- additional freedom ... for those who like (plugIn)

It seems it made a lot of LW-users very happy.

Those functions are not only useful for the friends of architectural modelling or design conception...

It would bridge the advantages of CAD functions to those of modo.
No more need to switch and import/export between modo and 2D/3D-Cad,Illustrator, Sketchup, FormZ, Rhino, SolidWorks etc.
for some of us.

Hopefully before modo 501 !

BTW:
I had a chat with Victor from vtools3D:
He told me he is developing LWCAD4 at the moment,
but might consider porting it to another application after this...

This quote was from back in October. I know it's hardly a concrete yes it's going to Modo, but the guy did have the conversation. You never know, it would be great to have it.

Larry_g1s
12-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Here's the quote from a fellow Modo user:

This quote was from back in October. I know it's hardly a concrete yes it's going to Modo, but the guy did have the conversation. You never know, it would be great to have it.Well from a Modo users standpoint, it'd be great. It's an amazing plug-in. Being as that was Oct. I know it was before Viktor got to use the Core SDK, and he said he's very excited about Core now.

But even if he wanted to, how would he still do it with out a real SDK in Modo?

EDIT: who was that quoted from?

CGI Addict
12-17-2009, 03:28 PM
He doesn't give his name, he's from Germany is all that I know of.

Larry_g1s
12-17-2009, 03:48 PM
He doesn't give his name:rolleyes:

jwiede
12-17-2009, 05:11 PM
Well from a Modo users standpoint, it'd be great. It's an amazing plug-in. Being as that was Oct. I know it was before Viktor got to use the Core SDK, and he said he's very excited about Core now.

But even if he wanted to, how would he still do it with out a real SDK in Modo?
Modo's built-in preset capabilities, esp. mesh assemblies, etc. make things like auto-wall generation, windows, etc. approach what's possible with LWCAD, right out of the box. Modo also has most of the snapping functionality built into it. LWCAD is more flexible, no question, and the way the tools are integrated would take a bunch of scripting and tuning to emulate in Modo, but I'm pretty sure Viktor could provide most of the same benefits of LWCAD just by scripting and tuning the existing functionality. NURBS features aren't available in Modo, but excluding them, it still seems like the goal of LWCAD as a package is doable in Modo today without needing an SDK.

Then again, perhaps that's the point: LWCAD's UI, etc. could be replicated in Modo without requiring an SDK, or at least a significant enough portion of LWCAD's features to be commercially viable as a product. He could release a "Modo ArchViz Library" (think akin to Lux's "Splash Kit" or Car Surface Library), and it would still be something users would buy -- I know I would.

EDIT: who was that quoted from?
The answer you received to this pretty much says it all.

Hmm...still, the idea is kind of interesting...

CaptainMarlowe
12-19-2009, 12:50 PM
As for myself, I'm using LWCAD 3.5 on a mac UB, and I didn't find it was unstable so far. Especially the wall tool doesn't crash with this version, at least on my computer, and I can say that I'm using almost exclusively LWCAD in modeler, like for the town in the picture below.

peter coley
12-20-2009, 09:53 AM
This happens to me when I dont have any height or width inserted if you put a amount in using the N key after sellecting the wall but before you build the wall, this should work

peter coley
12-20-2009, 09:55 AM
I'm running LW 9.6 32 bit version (build 1539) with LWCAD 3 UB. Without fail, every time I use the wall tool, LW crashes.

Has anyone else experienced this, or even better - has anyone got a solution?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This happens to me when I dont have any height or width inserted if you put a amount in using the N key after sellecting the wall but before you build the wall, this should work

Markc
12-29-2009, 04:11 PM
I am using LWCad 3.5 with LW 9.6 UB (on a G5), wall tall works fine, but I am having problems with the 'caphole' tool. A couple of times recently, when using it, it goes into a loop (indicates there are no more holes to cap) and I can't close the dialog panel. I have to force quit modeler and restart.

cohominous
01-06-2010, 08:26 AM
I didn't realize this thread had grown...

I emailed Viktor. He told me to reset LWCAD to default which worked. I guess I should have tried that first.

Everything is working again. Thanks Viktor!

CGI Addict
01-06-2010, 01:03 PM
The answer you received to this pretty much says it all.

Hmm...still, the idea is kind of interesting...

The guy I mentioned in the earlier post to Larry is from Hamburg, Germany and goes by the name of MickyB on the Modo forums.

Check this Modo script plug-in out called Windo. Pretty impressive:

http://www.thethirdguild.com/

Larry_g1s
01-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Thanks for link! I read that Viktor may be implementing LWCad for Modo in the future. That would be great news if it turns out.I just I'd put this one to rest. I recently spoke with Viktor and he said there are no plans for a Modo port/version in the near feature. So if one want's the great tools of LWCAD presently and the near future, it'll have to be in LW and soon Core.

CGI Addict
01-12-2010, 11:01 AM
I wouldn't quite put it to rest yet, I doubt Viktor is going to let any thing he working on secretly out for public consumption. It would be nice to see it ported over to Modo but if not, that video in my previous link is cool and it appears there is more on the horizon from Neil.

http://www.thethirdguild.com/

Larry_g1s
01-12-2010, 11:10 AM
I wouldn't quite put it to rest yet, I doubt Viktor is going to let any thing he working on secretly out for public consumption. It would be nice to see it ported over to Modo but if not, that video in my previous link is cool and it appears there is more on the horizon from Neil.

http://www.thethirdguild.com/Hey look, don't shoot the messenger. Direct quote from Viktor: "No Modo in the near future." So I don't know what to tell ya.

CGI Addict
01-12-2010, 11:23 AM
No, I'm not trying to say you're wrong Larry but there seems to be more than one messenger on this topic. I would hope that Viktor sees that porting to other apps is only going to benefit his company in the long run. Like I said, whether or not he does there will be other alternatives, but his LWCad will stand at the top of the hill for a while.

Larry_g1s
01-12-2010, 11:32 AM
No, I'm not trying to say you're wrong Larry but there seems to be more than one messenger on this topic. I would hope that Viktor sees that porting to other apps is only going to benefit his company in the long run. Like I said, whether or not he does there will be other alternatives, but his LWCad will stand at the top of the hill for a while.As far as the other messenger, all he said was "but might consider porting it to another application after this..." He doesn't say Modo. So that raised the question, would Modo be it. Well according to Viktor: "No Modo in the near future." That's all I was saying I was putting to rest.

CGI Addict
01-12-2010, 02:44 PM
One good thing coming out of Core is that Viktor is getting v4 ready for it. That can only help LW in the long run. One can only imagine where Viktor will be able to take LWCad.